recia

changing planes in Paris

We are booked on a Senic cruise next April and will be flying to CDG then on to Budapest. Flying on Delta and they show 1 hour and five minutes between flights, is this do able?

What time of day? And what gates/terminals? Might be tight if you land in 2E and have to get to 2G where many flights within Europe leave from. Going to G requires a shuttle bus, can't walk there, and going through security again.

In 2013 we flew from JFK to CDG and landed in 2E. We took shuttle bus to 2G, went through security and up to waiting area very quickly. But we landed about 6:30am Paris time so airport was very empty.

Just a week ago our friends flew from Bordeaux to CDG and on to JFK. They had about 1 1/2 hours to change planes. They made it but their luggage didn't. Got their bag 2 days later - but since they were going home it didn't matter.

I'm not trying to be negative just trying to prepare you! I'd check on later flights to Budapest just to be safe - know what you're options are in case plane lands late or you don't make connections. Also a lot depends on how fast you can walk - any problems with walking? Make arrangements for assistance! They will know exactly how to go!! And check on line - CDG has maps & info about changing planes.

amsterdam is very easy...if you have not made a reservation yet check that connection

Agree with DeeDC - we flew home Bordeaux to CDG to JFK and had an hour and 35 minutes and made connect OK. We did have assistance but even without would have made the flight.

AMS is a smaller airport with gates under "one roof" so easier to manage. I purposely picked AMS to chance at coming home having experienced both CDG & AMS!!

One note about AMS - security is at gate so its only for those on the flight - much faster than a general security before you enter the waiting area. We got to gate, walked right up and immediately went through security - most people waiting had already done so. Plus you're right there - not rushing and wondering how much further you have to go! I agree its much easier!!

Terminals E to F - a distance but probably doable with fast walking. SO much depends on your walking ability plus carry-on luggage you have!

Terminals E to F - a distance but probably doable with fast walking. SO much depends on your walking ability plus carry-on luggage you have!

Plus landing on time, getting off plane quickly and no issues at document checks. It's a definite "maybe."

I'm not sure about that short of a time. I arrived at CDG and transfered in the same terminal on the same airline for a trip to Spain. I had one hour and barely made it. You'll have to jump the customs line but nobody really minds. Have your running shoes at the ready!

We are booked on a Senic cruise next April and will be flying to CDG then on to Budapest. Flying on Delta and they show 1 hour and five minutes between flights, is this do able?

Sorry, but I believe there is no way you will make it unless you ask on the plane that your Airline orders a Golf Cart to meet you at the gate to whisk you away to your next gate. I have done this at lots of airports and it works great. Good Luck. ;)

We are flying into CDG at 6:30 am on Delta and flying out to Budapest on Air France 1 hr 5 min later. Besides the issue of perhaps getting to a different terminal, what do we face in terms of customs?

Recia, did you make your 1 hr 5 min connection last year? We, too, have that short connection arriving on Delta, 2E, and leaving for Budapest on AF, 2 F

We made it no problem and even had time to get a screw up in our seat assignments taken care of. We did have a wheelchair for DW, not sure she would have been able to walk that fast. But there were a few others on our flight who also made the connection with out problems.

Hey R,

I will never again book a flight through CDG with less than 100 min between planes.

As noted, look at connections in AMS.

Ira

We are flying into CDG at 6:30 am on Delta and flying out to Budapest on Air France 1 hr 5 min later. Besides the issue of perhaps getting to a different terminal, what do we face in terms of customs?
Your bags SHOULD be checked through to BUD so I don't think you technically see customs (but see next sentence) at CDG. You do have to see immigration at CDG and get stamped into the Schengen zone (France and Hungary are both in the Schengen zone; no further immigration controls in BUD) and this will take time. Is 65 minutes doable - yes; are you likely to make that connection - NO. I speak from experience (I have had to wait 11 hours for the next flight to Zagreb which did not involve Schengen immigration clearance, and I had more than 65 minutes).

Thom

I would never book a 65 minute connection thru CDG... If your flight lands at a busy time you are likely to have to have delays in deplaneing. Sometimes there is a delay in getting to gate. Unless you are traveling business it may take 15 minutes after arrival to even get off the plane. You might make it but probably only if you are a great long distance runner 😊😊.

Like a previous poster I would not choose a CDG layover less than 100-120 minutes because I hate to start my vacation sprinting for a plane !!

Most airlines require at least 1-1/2 hrs between connecting flights. We flew Delta several times into Paris. Security was minimal (2F to 2E), but it is a lengthy walk. I believe Paris has tightened security since all the trouble. I would look for a longer time between flights.

Most airlines require at least 1-1/2 hrs between connecting flights. We flew Delta several times into Paris. Security was minimal (2F to 2E), but it is a lengthy walk. I believe Paris has tightened security since all the trouble. I would look for a longer time between flights.

I totally agree with this post; I flew Air France and had 1 hour 5 minutes between flights and I was running down the terminal to make it.

They were almost all boarded when I got there. The problem was that we needed to go through immigration and that was VERY slow and with the extra (I am sure now) diligence it would have taken longer.

I will do everything I can to never fly through Paris again; it was very stressful and not a good way to start a vacation, and I have traveled a lot with business and everything that goes with that. JMHO :)

Best of luck and safe travels to all!!

Hmmmm - Just got our flights through Viking. We will be going through CDG but have 2 1/2 hours so hopefully that will work out!

The problem with a 1 hr +/- connection at CDG is that when arriving from the US, you have to clear immigration, which can be a very long line. In addition there are many remote gate that require extra transit time. If your arrival flight is just a little bit late, you may be in trouble. Experienced business travelers avoid CDG whenever possible.

I agree with the statements above about arrivals with transfers at CDG. I suggest you insist on at least 2 hours for a transfer - no matter what the TA might say.

Be very aware of terminal (as well as gate) changes after you get to the assigned gate. This has happened to me twice with less than an hour for departure. There is a good bit of distance between the terminals. Keep your eye on the gate/departure boards.:eek:

Spending a little extra time in CDG isn't all bad. The food there, including macaroons, is surprisingly good.

If you are departing directly from Paris, CDG can be a joy.

However, I now plan to travel only through AMS.

The problem with a 1 hr +/- connection at CDG is that when arriving from the US, you have to clear immigration, which can be a very long line...
I have missed "legal" connections in CDG even when I did not have to clear Immigration (I was "in transit" [arriving from a non-Schengen country, heading for another non-Schengen country]). And yes, Immigration makes it significantly worse.

We also did a Scenic cruise from Budapest last year. When the travel agent we were working with tried to book us on this Delta flight with the short transfer time in Paris, I knew she was a total idiot. Charles DeGaulle Airport has a very confusing layout and I avoid it for this reason.

We booked our own flight via Amsterdam. Schipol Airport there is large but well laid out with good signage. We had no problems changing planes there.

See what it will take to change your flight.

By the way, Scenic is wonderful and the cruise from Budapest was great.

All depends who your carrier is; I find CDG will often circle international flights and give Air France priority. I have never landed on time. That said, since most other flights also arrive late, it works out. I still try to allow 2 hrs for CDG transfer, 90 minutes bare minimum.

You can still make it, if you check your bags through and DO NOT LEAVE AIRSIDE SCHENGEN AREA! There are transfer desks that offer assistance (if open). If you can't walk far distances at a quick pace, prearrange for a motorized cart for you and companion or a WC.

All depends who your carrier is; I find CDG will often circle international flights and give Air France priority. I have never landed on time. That said, since most other flights also arrive late, it works out. I still try to allow 2 hrs for CDG transfer, 90 minutes bare minimum.

You can still make it, if you check your bags through and DO NOT LEAVE AIRSIDE SCHENGEN AREA! There are transfer desks that offer assistance (if open). If you can't walk far distances at a quick pace, prearrange for a motorized cart for you and companion or a WC.

This past June, we flew into CDG on Delta and transferred to Air France to Budapest. We were very concerned - having about 1 1/2 hours to make the transfer but were pleasantly pleased at the signage and the ability to navigate our route. The crowds were huge - but made it in plenty of time. It is always helpful to download a map of the airport so you have some general idea as to where the different gates/terminals are located.

Cole

We'll be arriving CDG at 0820 on DL in terminal 2E and departing for Prague from 2D at 0945. We will have only carry on luggage and will be traveling business class. Is this doable?????

We'll be arriving CDG at 0820 on DL in terminal 2E and departing for Prague from 2D at 0945. We will have only carry on luggage and will be traveling business class. Is this doable?????

Maybe, is all anyone can offer. Depending if you land on time, how busy immigration is, and also what gate you have to transfer to. If you need a w/c or can arrange to have a cart, you will have a better chance.

Maybe, is all anyone can offer. Depending if you land on time, how busy immigration is, and also what gate you have to transfer to. If you need a w/c or can arrange to have a cart, you will have a better chance.

Also, how long will it take you to deplane is a factor. If you are seated in the back of the plane, it takes FOREVER for people to get off and get out of your way. But, if you are near the front or in Business Class, be ready to deplane and keep your eye out for signage (which is very good). Good luck!

Cole

Get your flight rerouted. It's very unlikely that you can make this connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have a much better shot at doing this, since you are flying business class. However, there isn't a lot of room for error. If something goes awry, you may very well miss your connection despite all the advantages that Biz offers.

I assume you're flying Czech Air to Prague, since you say you're leaving out of 2D? I've never flown from that particular terminal, but I've changed terminals in CDG a lot so it's become a bit easier as time goes on.

I will assume that you're traveling on a single itinerary, where you will have your CDG-PRG boarding pass already printed up before you arrive in Paris? You're flying on a DL codeshare with Czech Airlines?

Your DL flight will arrive at Terminal 2E. There are three different halls in 2E - halls K, L, and M. You will be directed from your disembarkation gate, towards passport control, so that you can enter the Schengen Zone. Take advantage of your position towards the front of the plane and get off quickly, then move along to the passport control area.

***Look for the priority lanes labeled "No.1 Access" - your business class ticket will allow you entry. They are generally shorter.*** There are often a few passengers at the entrance of the lanes who are milling around unsure of which land to use. Use the No.1 Access lane. Show your ticket and step in.

***Make sure that you reconfirm your connecting gate on one of the monitors. The reason I say this is because CDG's website says that the Czech Air flight to Prague can leave from either Terminal 2D, or from 2F. You don't want to go to the wrong terminal!***

Once you clear passport control, follow signs for the appropriate terminal (2D or 2F). You will do better getting to 2D if you take the bus - and that's where the signs will direct you. If you're flying out of 2F, the procedure varies. One of the 2E halls is within walking distance of 2F; the other two are better by bus. The signage will direct you appropriately (walk vs. bus).

Sometimes you have to clear security again after you change terminals. Sometimes you don't. I can't tell you whether this will happen in 2D or not. Be ready and assume that it will happen, so you'll be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't. Again, look for the No. 1 access lanes and use them if available.

IME, after going through CDG probably 10x in the past 5 years - immigration is usually just a few minutes in the priority lines. Similarly, security is not bad at all. The biggest lines I've ever seen are for the buses which take you between terminals. The lines can be long and the buses are slow. It can take 30 minutes if there is a long line.

So - can you make this connection? If your flight arrives relatively on time, and you can walk at a decent pace (no need to run), and there are no unusually long lines - you will make it just fine. There is little room for error, though. So if you are nervous, or not sure that you understand the process, you might want to book a different itinerary. All it would take is a 30 minute late arrival to throw a monkey wrench into your trip. I would probably look for a different itinerary, if it were me.

Everyone has different experiences. In my experiences, the airlines offer no help in transfers when traveling business. Once the busses between the CDG terminals stopped running - who knows why - and there were a lot of panicking passengers. They did finally come and we were able to make the plane with running. This was with 2+ hours. The departure gates changed on all my Paris transfers. Glad we had the 3 hour layovers.

If you are a gambler - keep your short connection.

Every time I transferred in Paris, I had to go through customs. You should not count on bypassing - especially in these days of heightened security.

Every time I transferred in Paris, I had to go through customs. You should not count on bypassing - especially in these days of heightened security.
As an airline transfer passenger you NEVER go through Customs in Paris. Unlike the US, you and your luggage clear Customs at your terminating airport (generally using a green line / red line / blue line system). If your terminating airport is within the Schengen zone, and if Paris is your point of entry into Schengen, then you will clear Schengen immigration in Paris. Generally as a transfer passenger you have to go through Security again in Paris. Customs, Immigration and Security are each separate and distinct. Customs are virtually painless, but both Immigration and Security can cause considerable delay.

As an airline transfer passenger you NEVER go through Customs in Paris. Unlike the US, you and your luggage clear Customs at your terminating airport (generally using a green line / red line / blue line system). If your terminating airport is within the Schengen zone, and if Paris is your point of entry into Schengen, then you will clear Schengen immigration in Paris. Generally as a transfer passenger you have to go through Security again in Paris. Customs, Immigration and Security are each separate and distinct. Customs are virtually painless, but both Immigration and Security can cause considerable delay.

That has been my experience. I think some people may possibly confuse separate terms immigration and customs.

I stand corrected. I intended security and wrote customs. The problems remain the same however.

What time of day? And what gates/terminals? Might be tight if you land in 2E and have to get to 2G where many flights within Europe leave from. Going to G requires a shuttle bus, can't walk there, and going through security again.

In 2013 we flew from JFK to CDG and landed in 2E. We took shuttle bus to 2G, went through security and up to waiting area very quickly. But we landed about 6:30am Paris time so airport was very empty.

Just a week ago our friends flew from Bordeaux to CDG and on to JFK. They had about 1 1/2 hours to change planes. They made it but their luggage didn't. Got their bag 2 days later - but since they were going home it didn't matter.

I'm not trying to be negative just trying to prepare you! I'd check on later flights to Budapest just to be safe - know what you're options are in case plane lands late or you don't make connections. Also a lot depends on how fast you can walk - any problems with walking? Make arrangements for assistance! They will know exactly how to go!! And check on line - CDG has maps & info about changing planes.

I wouldn't consider connection time less than 3 hours at any international airport. CDG is particularly difficult to navigate, you have to really pay attention ... and I've been through there at least 25 times! Of course it all depends on your risk tolerance. If my flight took off late I'd be a nervous wreck worrying about my connection ... how and when I was going to reach Budapest. Others might think it a fun challenge to make the connection. Hopefully you can call the airline and have them book a later flight for you.

In the summer of 2016, we had a 2-hour layover at CDG. My Mom uses a wheelchair, so we had assistance. Even with the assistance, we flat out ran from the gate through immigration to the next gate, with the gate agent pushing my Mom, and just barely made last- call boarding for our connection to Athens. You will need more time.

I love everything about Paris except arriving or departing CDG. I cannot even imagine trying to get through customs, change terminals and get on a new flight in 1H05.

Posted (edited)
I love everything about Paris except arriving or departing CDG. I cannot even imagine trying to get through customs, change terminals and get on a new flight in 1H05.

Agree agree agree! Love Paris, hate CDG. If you want to have high blood pressure then try it, but I would never book connections with less than 2 hrs between them, too many things outside my control to go wrong.

Edited by firstcarib
typo

Hey R,

I will never again book a flight through CDG with less than 100 min between planes.

As noted, look at connections in AMS.

Ira

I will never again book a flight through CDG, EVER!! :D Partly my fault, as I did not properly research the airport as I should have. No one and no signs to tell you where to go or what to do, and you won't find anything or anyone using English. Just a horrible experience.

You really need more time! Can you rebook?