Hope this isn't a ridiculous question

Dave4120

Hello again everyone...Dave here again. A big thank-you again to everyone who helped me plan my flights on Delta for our cruise next Spring.

Now, I have one question that I totally forgot about. Hopefully, this isn't a real stupid question.

I have pretty intense asthma and do sleep with a new, mini-version, C-PAP machine. I am so worried that if I sleep on our overnight flight without my machine, I might keep people up with my snoring due to my asthma issues.

So, I am prepared to stay awake all night, if a machine is NOT allowed on a plane, which I assume, it's not. I thought I would ask anyway, just in case I can bring it on the plane.

Thanks for your time in answering this question.

Dave

I just searched Delta's website and found the following information here:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/special-travel-needs/disabilities.html

f you need an assistive or non-oxygen-generating life-support device — like a respirator, nebulizer or ventilator — you may bring it in the cabin for use during the flight, as long as it fits in an FAA approved storage location. You'll need to purchase an extra seat (at the lowest available fare) if your equipment will not fit in storage.

We recommend you use dry-cell batteries for your equipment because electrical outlets are not available on our aircraft. Wet-cell batteries are prohibited in the aircraft cabin for safety reasons.

CPAP, BiPap machines and oxygen concentrators (other than those we've approved) will only be accepted if they have been tested by the manufacturer to comply with FAA safety regulations and display a label indicating that the machine is approved for use on an aircraft. Additional review of testing data must be provided to Delta for approval prior to travel.

The following C-PAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) , Bi-PAP (Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure), and V-PAP (Variable Positive Airway Pressure) machines have been approved by the FAA and Delta for use on board Delta, Delta shuttle, and Delta Connection carriers.

Delta does not provide any onboard power sources for assistive devices. The customer is responsible for providing batteries with enough life to support the trip they are on. Empower, available on certain aircrafts, is for charging laptops only.

1. You MUST have a letter from your physician stating the need and your condition.

2. You MUST notify the airline well in advance. Special services takes care of these requests. Some airlines will require THEIR OWN letter as well as the physician's letter. Make sure you have copies as well as originals from both physicians and the airline if required and scan and send one to yourself so you can access it in your email anyplace in the world.

3. Most airlines will REQUIRE a machine that has been tested and certified by the FAA. There are only a few that meet this requirement. Make sure yours is one of them.

4. Most airlines will REQUIRE you have enough batteries to equal 1.5 times the flight time. DO NOT count on using the airline plug ins. Sometimes they let you and sometimes they don't. IN addition, the plug ins may not work or be non existent.

5. Notifiy TSA immediately when you get in line for security. The airline should have already sent the info to TSA when you checked in but sometimes they don't. You MUST take the machine out of its case although TSA says you can put it in a clear plastic bag for sanitary reasons before you put it in the bin. Tubing and masks can stay in the case.

6. TSA MAY do an explosive test on the machine. DEMAND they use new gloves and swabs and if they don't want to, get a supervisor.

And DO NOT count on foreign airlines to allow you to use your machine. Some will, some won't. MAKE SURE you have this all cleared with whatever airline you are using.

And to make it as easy as possible on yourself (I have a portable oxygen concentrator which I don't use very often but sometimes need it in the Middle East/Asia with the tremendous amounts of dust and smog)-GET WHEELCHAIR assistance. It makes it twice as easy to get through check in and security.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Edited by greatam

WOW...I know I'm probably getting more concerned about this trip than most. Between all the research for the trip since this is only our third time flying, and now this, I'd almost rather just cruise to the Caribbean like we usually do, but Mrs. Dave won't let that happen.

Maybe I'm better trying to stay awake for the flight, or, semi awake, and see if it's easier to just have my CPAP machine in my carry on and just use it in our pre-cruise hotel in Barcelona and on the ship like I normally do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Carefully check which airline you actualy fly. Codeshare partner KLM doesnot allow use of CPap machines on board, but needs details if you carry it as handluggage.

I am so worried that if I sleep on our overnight flight without my machine, I might keep people up with my snoring due to my asthma issues.
I don't mean to make light of the problems that lead to you having this machine, and you must look after your own health even for the night that you're on board the flight.

But if your concern is only that those around you might be disturbed by your snoring, then don't worry: there are plenty of loud snorers on flights, to the extent that it's a standing joke amongst frequent flyers and cabin crew have ways of dealing with them. You wouldn't be alone. I've never actually heard it, but I've been accused of snoring loudly myself.

You wouldn't be alone. I've never actually heard it, but I've been accused of snoring loudly myself.

Yup!, I even stayed up all night once, and I never heard myself snore once!!

Ditto, don't worry about the snoring if it won't effect your health this one night.

IMHO

Dave, my suggestion would be not to worry about either bringing a c-pap machine onboard or trying to force yourself stay awake all night.

Just ask someone sitting close to you, as well as the flight attendant, to please tap you and wake you up if you should start to snore.

Then forget about it, relax and enjoy your flight.

If they wake you, just thank them and ask them to do it again if you start snoring again.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm assuming if I don't use the CPAP machine on the plane, and only use it in the hotel for my pre-cruise stay and then on the ship, I should pack the machine in a carry-on, and NOT, in my checked luggage????

Thanks again for the help..

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm assuming if I don't use the CPAP machine on the plane, and only use it in the hotel for my pre-cruise stay and then on the ship, I should pack the machine in a carry-on, and NOT, in my checked luggage?
That would be the safer thing to do if you don't want the risk of being separated from it if your bags are mishandled or delayed.