• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Liquids in luggage

morry2121

I will be taking a couple of bottles of local maple syrup for gifts, will they look "suspicious" in my luggage and get me sent to THE room? (yes, they are sealed and it is really syrup). Would I be safer to carry them on? What about a few (sealed) bottles of soda?

If they're suspicious about your luggage, the worst thing that would happen (assuming they aren't broken, which would be a real downer) is you'd be called to security room to show them it isn't liquor. They don't open bags without you being present.

You can carry them on with the same confidence as packing them, it is completely legit.

In 30 cruises, the only time we got called to security was when they saw a steam iron in the bag. They took it from us for the two weeks, but the butler brought almost the same NCL iron for us to use for the entire time. (sort of silly,)

We have packed CoCo Real (Cream of Coconut) in our checked in bags for several years and have not had any problems. It comes in a 21 ounce plastic squeeze bottle and we use it to make Pain Killers with rum we pre-order for the suite. The suitcase just shows up in our room with our other bags.

However, a couple of years ago we purchased 8 plus bottles of Tobasco Sauce (in glass bottles) in New Orleans as a Christmas gift for our college aged son. The shop wrapped them up well, knowing they needed to survive the cruise and then flying home. NCL scanned our bags at the port of N.O. and we received notice that we needed to go to the "naughty room" to pick up this particular suitcase. When DH told them what was in the well wrapped and taped up packages, NCL gave us back the suitcase and sent him on his way. No need to unwrap and prove what was inside.

I would wrap them well but maybe secure them with rubber bands so if you needed to unwrap the bottles, you could easily secure them again. I would then place them into my to carry onboard totebag/roll-away bag so you don't have to spend any of your vacation time standing in a line to bail out your maple syrup! I'm sure someone will enjoy your delicious gifts!!!

If I may make a suggestion: I have also brought maple syrup on board as gifts for different meet and greets. I would seriously consider packing them in your carry-on. I can think of two reasons. First of all, they are easy to find and identify when the bottles show up on the x-rays as your bag is scanned, in case the crew member has any questions. Secondly and most importantly, have you ever watched the dock workers throw the suitcases around? I would NEVER put something like maple syrup in my suitcase, especially at the start of a cruise. Imagine the mess if that bottle breaks(and I worked in an airport for 8 years and have even seen the plastic bottles break).:eek:

We bought 3 bottles of Clamato juice in Miami & opted to put them in our

carry on to take on the Ship. It seems as if the security people check closely to make sure that the bottles still have the original seals on them. I did see cruisers having bottles taken away....even the half finished coke and/or water

bottles. I personally wouldn't put anything breakable in my luggage....it's not

worth taking the chance (IMHO). Cheers, Sandra

I would bring it in carryon, like others have suggested. For the main reason being......if they broke, you would have a heck of a mess! What a disaster to have maple syrup over all of your clothing and things!

I always put anything liquid in ziplocks, even in my carryon. I would hate the expense to have something burst in my suitcase and having to pay to get everything cleaned onboard.