• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Early flight after departing Allure

Jazul

Our friends want to know if they have an 8:45 am flight out of Fort Lauderdale in December (Sunday the 14th) if they can make that walking off the ship? Last time we went on Oasis we walked off at 6:30 am and that would have been no problem, but that was several years ago, so don't know if anything has changed since then. Appreciate any feedback here from others that had early flights home.

We self disembarked from Vision in Fort Lauderdale a month ago. We were off the ship by 7:00AM right through customs in 5 more minutes and at the airport by 7:30. But Vision is a third of the passengers that Oasis is. That will be a little tight. I would want to be standing at the front of the line to self disembark. Once you clear customs it is 10 minutes to the airport by taxi. If you have to add in checking baggage at the terminal than allow a few more minutes....

Our friends want to know if they have an 8:45 am flight out of Fort Lauderdale in December (Sunday the 14th) if they can make that walking off the ship? Last time we went on Oasis we walked off at 6:30 am and that would have been no problem, but that was several years ago, so don't know if anything has changed since then. Appreciate any feedback here from others that had early flights home.

That could work if there are no delays, but sometimes in the winter months we get fog near the shorelines here in Florida. I've been delayed twice getting back into port due to fog (once in Tampa, once in Fort Lauderdale). We drive to the ports so it doesn't impact us, but if I were flying I would give myself a bit more time.

We self disembarked from Vision in Fort Lauderdale a month ago. We were off the ship by 7:00AM right through customs in 5 more minutes and at the airport by 7:30. But Vision is a third of the passengers that Oasis is. That will be a little tight. I would want to be standing at the front of the line to self disembark. Once you clear customs it is 10 minutes to the airport by taxi. If you have to add in checking baggage at the terminal than allow a few more minutes....

You just never know how long it's going to take to get through US Customs. We've been on Allure and Oasis and have breezed through Customs in no time, and other times have taken over an hour to get through. I think your friends are cutting way closer than they should with a flight that early.

We have done it several times on Liberty, Freedom, Allure & others. We try to be in the FRONT of the line to self-debark and MOVE W/ a purpose (walk FAST). We are usually in line to self-debark NLT 0600 (and there is always individuals in front of us). ALSO, have a back-up plan just in case (i.e. know when the next available flight is and be able to contact the airline as soon as you know you will NOT be able to meet your original flight).//Maria

Thanks to all who wrote in. I'll let them know what everyone thought and they can decide if they want to chance it. I understand that you should try to be first in line and "move with a purpose". We always do that as well.

One of the recent posters here, noted that they were off Allure in good time. But. They were held up by customs for an hour or more....if I recall, it was after nine when they finally left the terminal for a cab.

As another poster here noted, one needs to be at the airport with enough time to check your baggage, get to and get through security (which can be slow). Airlines suggest...what?...about one plus hours for domestic and two or more hours for international flights? That would mean that they need to be at the airport minimally by 7:45. Pretty tight timeline.

I would suggest that your friends might be making a big error in trying for a flight that early.

If you have your boarding passes printed, why would you need to go to the counter???

I haven't flown in a very long time, but I didn't think you had to wait in a line at the counter if you already have your boarding passes.

If you're not checking bags there's no reason. If you're checking bags, you have to drop them off somewhere...