• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Kids Club while in port

djms11504

All of the cruise lines allow the parents to leave the children behind and go ashore. If you look on the family forum, you will see heated debates over whether or not people are comfortable with doing this (it is your individual decision). We've never left our son behind simply because he loves to travel, and he has enjoyed all the ports we've visited, but the factors I would consider are: how far is the destination from the ship (in Alaska you generally don't travel far from port and it would be fairly safe; if you were going to Berlin (4 hours away from the port) I'd be afraid to leave my kids behind) and I would be very conservative about making sure I was close to the port within 2 hours of the ship leaving.

One key, there have to be enough kids on the cruise to justify activities. On our Royal cruise to Canada last week there were 14 under 16s, several of which were toddlers. Our nephew had no plans to stay on board as part of a teen club, and to the best of his knowledge they would not be open port days (possibly with prior arrangements)

So they are OK with leaving the kids on board while the parents go ashore? I'm surprised they will allow that. What if there is an emergency and they need to locate the parents?

I was on board once on a port day (why, I'm not sure) when the kids' club charges came walking in a nice line to some tables on Lido where they all had a pizza lunch. You never saw such a happy bunch of kids. I think there were about 15 of them of various ages.