• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

World Cruise

worldover

Tom, when a case of Ebola cropped up in the USA cruise ships didn't stop from sailing into ports.

I would be more concerned about the Flu and that is one of the reasons we started taking the flu vaccination back in 2007 knowing that many people would be joining the ship on each segment.

In the highly unlikely chance that there was a massive outbreak there which I do not see happening then the cruise ship would not stop there. Will this happen? I really don't see it happening.

Keith

Time for some perspective here:

Africa is a HUGE continent. South Africa has not had a single case of Ebola from this outbreak. They banned flights to and from the affected countries quite a while ago.

The distance from the countries affected by Ebola to South Africa is the same distance as New York City to Anchorage. London, Paris and Madrid are closer than to the Ebola outbreak than South Africa.

Just so your mind is at ease, Crystal monitors the political and health conditions of their countries on an ongoing basis. They would never stop at a port where there was a health (or political, or natural) situation that would affect the guests, crew or ships.

Ricki

Keith, Ricki; I understand flights to the U.S. didn't stop, but then the U.S. is not South Africa. Stopping the airline flights might not be significant. There are other ways to spread the disease. I understand that AIDS was spread over most of Africa by long distance truck drivers. If several cases of ebola are found in South Africa Crystal would have to cancel that country and at this late date there would be chaos. Tom

Tom, I reallly don't see this happening and if something did have to happen it would not be the first time that Crystal cancelled a stop as they did this for SARS.

I am not trying to downplay any of this but I just think the odds of something like this happening is quite low.

South Africa is not like the West Africa counties with the problem. Those countries have very little medical infrastructure whereas South Africa has a strong medical infrastructure. In this world that we live in anything is possible. We could arrive to a port anywhere where something catastrophic happens. At this point in time, I see no reason to be concerned. Time will tell.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Keith, Ricki; I understand flights to the U.S. didn't stop, but then the U.S. is not South Africa. Stopping the airline flights might not be significant. There are other ways to spread the disease. I understand that AIDS was spread over most of Africa by long distance truck drivers. If several cases of ebola are found in South Africa Crystal would have to cancel that country and at this late date there would be chaos. Tom

Chaos is a very harsh word, I agree that people would be disappointed if South Africa was canceled, but Crystal has contingency plans on hand for any need to cancel a port. We have been on Crystal where they were unable to make a port for a variety of reasons: rough weather (The Falklands,) Acapulco (crime,) and there have even been times when Crystal has to relocate an embarkation or disembarkation port (Hurricane Sandy.) We all survived and enjoyed ourselves.

Additionally, life goes on in Dallas despite 3 people diagnosed there with Ebola.

Perspective...

Ricki