• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Can I really not upgrade my room without paying $3000???

jenf22

I'm booked for the Norwegian Fjords cruise on 5-Jun-2015 on the Star. I've got us in a Family Suite but am rethinking sailing the fjords without a balcony. I pretty much only have experience sailing DCL and when you book with them the price of the cruise is "locked in" based on the day you booked. So if you switch room categories, you pay the difference of the rooms based on the booking date not the current prices. At least that is my understanding of how it works (and my experience because I did it multiple times on our Alaska sailing). When I called NCL to ask about upgrading my room to a balcony suite I was told the difference was almost $3000 :eek:. That's because the cruise has gone up so much since I booked. The difference between the 2 categories is only a couple hundred dollars. So are you really stuck with your original category when you book on NCL? Are there any tricks or tips as to how I can change my category? I'm ok in the Family Suite, I just wondered what my options were. Thanks so much!

Edited by jenf22

This is not my experience at all... In fact, just today, 36 days out from my cruise, I was able to upgrade my parents from an IA (inside mid ship cabin) to a BB (balcony mid ship decks 8, 9, or 10) on the Getaway for a mere $20.

It seems the price we booked at months ago could have purchased a mid ship balcony under today's prices. So, all I had to do was call my PCC and pony up $20 bucks and they can now celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary in a balcony cabin mid ship on deck 9 instead of an inside on deck 11. It's their first ever balcony!

Not sure what seems to be the issue with your particular situation, but if prices today are cheaper than what you paid, by all means you should be able to upgrade for a smaller amount.

If the current prices are higher, well, you will pay the difference between what you have paid previously and what the current prices are in the new category, which is exactly fair. Just because with today's prices there is only a few hundred dollars between the two categories, you aren't given any more credit than what you have paid to date. Your existing cabin is only worth what you paid previously for it, not today's booking value.

Prices on suites have gone thru the roof lately.

We booked about 15 months ago paid $4200 for 4 ppl. Now that same suite is $7900 :eek: :eek: :eek:

As the previous poster said, if the price has gone down to where you feel the difference between cabins is affordable you can upgrade. If the price has gone up and up you will still pay the difference between what you originally paid and what the going rate is today.

My experience has been that it's based on today's prices if you want to upgrade and the difference for what you paid, regardless of the category.

For example, we got an extraordinary deal on a BA (midship balcony) - less than we've paid on some insides. But it would cost me an additional $600 to upgrade to a mini suite. Doesn't matter what the cost of the mini suite was when we booked - the going rate is the market rate.

You didn't say what suite you're looking to upgrade to. The a family suite is one of the most affordable suites on board so there is a significant difference between it and some of the other suites. If you're looking at one of the GV's - there's not much price wiggle room on those!

Edited by GORDONCHICK

Thanks everyone. Our suite was $4400 when we booked and is $6600 now. So the next level up, with the balcony, is around $7300. The pricing scheme just isn't what I'm used to. On DCL, I would be able to upgrade and pay the difference based on the prices when I booked. I think they let you do that because the cheaper rooms are easier to fill. Maybe that "perk" is why they are so much more expensive??? :p I guess I'll just keep watching. Seems like nothing is on sale right now...

Thanks everyone. Our suite was $4400 when we booked and is $6600 now. So the next level up, with the balcony, is around $7300. The pricing scheme just isn't what I'm used to. On DCL, I would be able to upgrade and pay the difference based on the prices when I booked. I think they let you do that because the cheaper rooms are easier to fill. Maybe that "perk" is why they are so much more expensive??? :p I guess I'll just keep watching. Seems like nothing is on sale right now...

They are more expensive for many reason!

Yes... in this case you would have to come up with $2900, the difference between the 4400 and 7300 prices... which is exactly fair.

Look at it this way... if you were canceling the cruise today, they would be refunding you only $4400 not the $6600 the cabin is selling for today. So naturally, you have to pay more to go up to the next level.

Look at it this way... if you were canceling the cruise today, they would be refunding you only $4400 not the $6600 the cabin is selling for today. So naturally, you have to pay more to go up to the next level.

I get the logic and economics behind it, but that's not how Disney does it and other than the RCCL cruise last week, Disney is all I've known. But I also understand DCL's philosophy - they make the customer happy by giving them the lower price and they free up a lower category, and easier to fill, room. Like a previous poster said, the Family Suite is one of the most economical on the ship. So me jumping to a Penthouse sort of helps them out since it frees up an easier to fill room. And it's not exactly the same as cancelling and rebooking since they've had my $750 deposit for months now. From everything I've read or heard Disney is all about making money. You do wonder why they would do it differently than the other lines if it didn't make some economical sense. Oh well, I got a great room and it came in $3000 LESS than DCL's opening day price for the same itinerary. Not too much to complain about... :)

Ask your travel agent just to go in and modify your original reservation without changing the codes to today's rates or promotions

Have them use edit mode if they just change the cabin category it should price up based on what it was the day you booked. My experience has been if you are upgrading your retain your original onboard credit and pricing level or whatever promotion it was that you booked under

Is different than trying to do a new booking under a current promotion. It's worked in the past can't tell you today what would happen

OP, you are describing NCL's practice accurately as I have experienced it. It's difficult to imagine that DCL operates as you describe. The actually let you upgrade to a cabin for substantially less than they could sell it to me? :confused:

If you have an SJ family suite booked, that is what we had on the Dawn in june. We didn't miss having a balcony because of the wall of windows.:)

If it is rainy or cold you can still see the scenery. Plus you still had most of the regular perks. We would do 1 again in a heartbeat. Plus there is tons of space.:D

When you change cabins, you are basically canceling one reservation and doing another. Sort of.

As to those that had different experiences, well.... things were DIFFERENT then.

For example,if suite prices had gone DOWN for this cruise, the answer the OP would get would be totally different.

Sometimes it will cost alot more. Sometimes it is alot less.

Prices on suites have gone thru the roof lately.

We booked about 15 months ago paid $4200 for 4 ppl. Now that same suite is $7900 :eek: :eek: :eek:

This baffles me too. Suites seem to either hold their price or increase but other cabins, it's like the limbo, how low can you go. It seems like 750$ to 1000$ a night for 2 is the going rate. The economy is doing great! I'm going to get flaimed for that comment.

If you have an SJ family suite booked, that is what we had on the Dawn in june. We didn't miss having a balcony because of the wall of windows.:)

If it is rainy or cold you can still see the scenery. Plus you still had most of the regular perks. We would do 1 again in a heartbeat. Plus there is tons of space.:D

Good to hear! There is a Star thread going where some people said they missed the balcony. And after seeing the incredible scenery in the fjords, I figured I'd like the balcony. Oh well. Live and learn, right? We did get the SJ that has a bump in that wall so we can see forward and to the side :)

I'm booked for the Norwegian Fjords cruise on 5-Jun-2015 on the Star. I've got us in a Family Suite but am rethinking sailing the fjords without a balcony. I pretty much only have experience sailing DCL and when you book with them the price of the cruise is "locked in" based on the day you booked. So if you switch room categories, you pay the difference of the rooms based on the booking date not the current prices. At least that is my understanding of how it works (and my experience because I did it multiple times on our Alaska sailing). When I called NCL to ask about upgrading my room to a balcony suite I was told the difference was almost $3000 :eek:. That's because the cruise has gone up so much since I booked. The difference between the 2 categories is only a couple hundred dollars. So are you really stuck with your original category when you book on NCL? Are there any tricks or tips as to how I can change my category? I'm ok in the Family Suite, I just wondered what my options were. Thanks so much!

Nope, not stuck. Feel free to pay the additional amount and move up if you want. If DCL actually locks you in to the prices based on your booking date they would be the only line I know of that does that.

We sailed in an SJ family suite last year on the Dawn to Canada and loved it. We never really missed the balcony at all because it was cold and windy almost the entire trip. We could see everything we wanted through our wall of windows. I might reconsider on a warm-weather trip, but I think you'll be perfectly satisfied with what you've got.

Edited by Reebster
typo

This is all well and good but what is being missed here is that the particular itinerary in question here is a one off 7 day sailing to Norway next June. I am booked on the 12 day itinerary that follows which is also a one of a kind. These are commanding high prices that only seem to be heading in one direction and that is upwards.

Not sure why, if the price has gone up since you booked, they would let you upgrade at the old price and not at the price currently in effect, or why you would expect them to. If Disney's policy was different, I believe that they are likely the only company with such a policy and it doesn't sound like the Disney we all know and love ;)

OP, you are describing NCL's practice accurately as I have experienced it. It's difficult to imagine that DCL operates as you describe. The actually let you upgrade to a cabin for substantially less than they could sell it to me? :confused:

The OP is absolutely correct about how DCL handles booked reservations. As long you are only modifying a reservation (upgrade or downgrade) you remain in the rate tier originally booked. If you booked on opening day, that will almost always be lower than current rates.

Dear Customer:

NCL : The price for cabin 1243 is $7,300 if you buy it today. Since you have already paid us $4,400 we can apply that to the new booking if you like.

Customer: What if just cancel my existing reservation because I don't like this?

NCL : Sure, you can cancel if you want.

Customer : If I change my mind and call back later, can I rebook my first cabin.

NCL : Sure you can. The current price for that cabin is $6,600.

===============

Why is this so difficult for people to understand. The price is the price.

As to another cruiseline doing "xxxx". Even some of those things happen on NCL as well. It all depends. Prices go up and down. More on some lines than others.

The price is the price is the price.

The OP is absolutely correct about how DCL handles booked reservations. As long you are only modifying a reservation (upgrade or downgrade) you remain in the rate tier originally booked. If you booked on opening day, that will almost always be lower than current rates.

If so, they are a rarity in the cruise industry.

Thank you for this. I wasn't looking to get into a fight with anyone. And clearly no one believes me. Having only really cruised DCL I made the assumption this was how all cruise lines worked. I'm sorry for being so stupid. People can stop telling me that NCL is totally right now. I get it. I will stay in my current room. Can we be done now? Thanks to the people who were nice and helpful.

The issue I think is that it is an Alaskan cruise, those balconies NEVER come down in price that I know of. (unless you do a last minute cruise in the very beginning of the season or the very end). It sucks, I know. But, you're STILL going on a very cool cruise no matter the room!:)

Thank you for this. I wasn't looking to get into a fight with anyone. And clearly no one believes me. Having only really cruised DCL I made the assumption this was how all cruise lines worked. I'm sorry for being so stupid. People can stop telling me that NCL is totally right now. I get it. I will stay in my current room. Can we be done now? Thanks to the people who were nice and helpful.

Having just come off a cruise including a Norwegian fjord, and having previously sailed a Canadian fjord in a Family Suite (SJ), I have this suggestion:

Enjoy the suite you've booked.

Keep checking after Final Payment and see if the prices for balconies come down.

Remember that there are also outdoor spaces where you can venture 1 deck up, and be outside.

So you may not have the balcony, but you will have the view...and if you must have the cold too, then it's quite nearby!

:)

Stephen