• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Soot and smells? Or just awesomeness?

funtime238

We had the chance to upgrade to an aft balcony on the Breakaway. We had to pass it down because I have a major medical hypersensitivity to fossil fuels. I read about soot and fumes, and was scared to chance it. Was I being smart, or did I just pass up the cabin of a lifetime?

Only you can know, but we have had several aft balconies and only had a problem once, which was two weeks ago. Two mornings we woke to a good bit of soot, but we had had very high winds and rain the nights before. The steward said it happens from time to time. I never noticed any odors at all, though.

No. You did not miss the cabin of a lifetime. Aft cabins are over-rated IMO.

We had one on our Princess cruise and it was nothing but noise, soot, and dirt. We were miles from anywhere we wanted to be, and the motion of the ship is more pronounced in the aft.

I always laugh to myself when I read posts by people who praise aft cabins, how they love the sound of the wake and how it's relaxing and puts them to sleep. All I can think about is that those people must like sleeping with their head in a washing machine...because that's exactly what it sounds like.

Edited by rajones007

We had one on our Princess cruise and it was nothing but noise, soot, and dirt. We were miles from anywhere we wanted to be, and the motion of the ship is more pronounced in the aft.

I always laugh to myself when I read posts by people who praise aft cabins, how they love the sound of the wake and how it's relaxing and puts them to sleep. All I can think about is that those people must like sleeping with their head in a washing machine...because that's exactly what it sounds like.

Since I've never slept with my head in a washing machine I have no basis for comparison. We've had 3 aft facing cabins ( last three cruises)and really enjoyed them. Perhaps we were lucky but there was no soot, no noise, and not excessive motion. Sorry your experience was disappointing.

We had the chance to upgrade to an aft balcony on the Breakaway. We had to pass it down because I have a major medical hypersensitivity to fossil fuels. I read about soot and fumes, and was scared to chance it. Was I being smart, or did I just pass up the cabin of a lifetime?

Because of your condition I would play it safe and not book a aft bacony. Being sensitive you may smell fumes that some people may not.

I've been in one aft balcony and one aft suite.

The balcony was an Hawaii Cruise on POA and we never saw any soot or smelled any fumes.

The suite was a Canada/New England Cruise on the Gem. Once or twice we saw some soot on the chairs in the morning. Never smelled any fumes. However, we did see small pieces of food on our balcony in the mornings. I assumed this was from the cleaning of the Great Outdoors above.

We do love the aft area and the sound of the ships wake and lack of wind. As to motion I never felt any more or less than other parts of the ship.

Hope this helps....

Sleeping with there head in a washing machine. I keep giggling at that remark :D:p:D:p

Count me among the aft lovers....on our 14 days aft on Sun we had a bit of soot twice....and the only smell was the wonderful perfume of freshly baked bread!

Thanks for your input.

We are looking forward to trying our first aft balcony on the Sun. We do not mind walking the ship to get to things, so distance is not a factor for us. If a stray banana peel falls on our deck, I will just be careful where I walk.:p If any soot, I will just sit on a towel. We try to "go with the flow" on the cruise, that is why we enjoy cruising over other vacation choices- low stress factor.

However, if we did have a medical issue, I could certainly understand the fuel concern.

We had our first aft balcony on the Breakaway this past July - cabin 11310. Loved the location; it was a straight run from the port-side hallway to our door. We did not have any soot, and I never noticed a smell, but then I'm not sensitive to such things so I just may not have noticed. Also... we rarely spent much time out there, but liked that when we did, the balcony was big, which is why we booked it. The regular balconies on Breakaway are notoriously small. This was the reason we booked the aft - if possible we will probably try to book an aft for future cruises, but it's not mandatory if sailing on a ship with larger balconies. We did love this location on the Breakaway though as everything we needed was pretty much located in the aft portion of the ship. The cabins were a little narrow, and I didn't like the layout and closet space, but that wasn't what you asked.

Have a fantastic cruise no matter where you cabin is :)

We just came off the Breakaway last Sunday and had aft cabin 9918. It was amazing. The balcony was massive and as big as the cabin. We had no trouble with soot or odours and were not overlooked. We had the sun all day on the way back from the Bahamas and were very handy for the elevators and restaurants.

Having the New York skyline in front of us as we sailed out of Manhattan is a sight we will never forget and I think you have made a mistake not taking the aft cabin.

I'm an aft lover but agree that the environmental noise from the props is LOUD! Especially if you are on a cruise where the ship is doing 20+ knots. The faster the ship is moving the louder the ambient noise is. Good to warn those who don't like loudness in threads such as this.

Almost? Uhoh, has Donna found a new favorite cabin that is completely perfect? LOL

Not yet. Haha.

My fave has no lavazza and no dining table. But the balcony about makes up for those. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cabin of a lifetime is the one you enjoy and feel happy in during your cruise. I intend to keep cruising until I find my cabin of a lifetime and I hope never to find it so I do not have to end my search.

Lavazza and French Press coming soon to our aft Penthouse on the Star. ;)

They will. I guess. We never asked. :(. Next time.

The French press coffee was the perk I've enjoyed the most when we've been made VIPs. The first morn at breakfast they brought me a little one, but after I ordered another one they started bringing me the big-un! I think on a sea day I even got one to go since we didn't have "no stinking butler". Lol

The cabin of a lifetime is the one you enjoy and feel happy in during your cruise. I intend to keep cruising until I find my cabin of a lifetime and I hope never to find it so I do not have to end my search.

Yea, what she said! Tho until I can become a suite cruiser (if ever:() "my secret (unfortunately not so secret anymore) cabin on Sun is pretty much the cabin of a lifetime!

We think the aft is way over rated. Tried it once, no breeze, soot off and on for the whole cruise and no live sea creatures.

In the forward facing and even the sides, we always see dolphins, flying fish and other sea life, including a sea turtle. You can see almost everything happening, other ships, upcoming shoreline and of course the ports. In the Mississippi River it's amazing.

We found the noise and vibration when slowing or backing down the ship to be huge, woke us up one night. If your in your bed at night you can't hear the noise of the wake because your not allowed to keep the door open. Front of the ship always for us.

We think the aft is way over rated. Tried it once, no breeze, soot off and on for the whole cruise and no live sea creatures.

In the forward facing and even the sides, we always see dolphins, flying fish and other sea life, including a sea turtle. You can see almost everything happening, other ships, upcoming shoreline and of course the ports. In the Mississippi River it's amazing.

We found the noise and vibration when slowing or backing down the ship to be huge, woke us up one night. If your in your bed at night you can't hear the noise of the wake because your not allowed to keep the door open. Front of the ship always for us.

Isn't it great that we are all different. Otherwise our faves would be sold out quicker.

Happy cruising!

If your in your bed at night you can't hear the noise of the wake because your not allowed to keep the door open. Front of the ship always for us.

Sure you can, be a rebel! Break a rule now and then. LOL. Best sleep I ever had was under the comforter and a blanket during our 'round the horn cruise...door wide open, heat turned off, and door wide open...probably 50 degrees or less in the room and that wonderful, "head in the washing machine sound" lulling me to sleep! ;):D