• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

MDR vs MTD

MerriWthr

My adult daughter & I are sailing Indy over T'giving and have late seating for dinner. We're wondering if its possible to use the MTD on those nights that we want to do one of the late programs or shows or are we locked down to the 8:30 dinner slot? I wanted the MDR so we could meet folks, but I'm starting to question that decision given our usual habit of eating at various times. And all the fun stuff that happens in the evenings!

Any thoughts from the experts?

Michelle

I don't believe you can randomly switch from fixed seating to MTD. However, if you speak with your head waiter the evening before, perhaps they may be able to accommodate you at the earlier seating. If all else fails, the Windjammer may be a good option since you don't need a reservation.

My adult daughter & I are sailing Indy over T'giving and have late seating for dinner. We're wondering if its possible to use the MTD on those nights that we want to do one of the late programs or shows or are we locked down to the 8:30 dinner slot? I wanted the MDR so we could meet folks, but I'm starting to question that decision given our usual habit of eating at various times. And all the fun stuff that happens in the evenings!

Any thoughts from the experts?

Michelle

You can not switch back and forth. It's one or the other. You may want to see about switching to MTD so that you can eat on your schedule.

The 2 traditional seating times mean you will never have to miss a show...they are scheduled around those 2 times. Even with late seating, you will be able to make the late-night show. For the other shows, you will go BEFORE dinner. And, you will have plenty of time to get ready...no worries!

Ask to sit with others for MTD, but it most likely won't be the same peoples as MTD is for those that do not like to schedule things. Also a lot of people like MTD b/c most tables are set up for two or four persons. Not too many of the bigger tables.

You will sit with others unless you request to sit alone.

I'm going alone so with Carnival it was easy because they seated me alone at a table for two. I am assuming Royal will do the same.

The looks from the waiters is fun, they assume there will be another person coming.

The 2 traditional seating times mean you will never have to miss a show...they are scheduled around those 2 times. Even with late seating, you will be able to make the late-night show. For the other shows, you will go BEFORE dinner. And, you will have plenty of time to get ready...no worries!

And with MTD and a minimal amount of planning you don't have to miss a show either. In addition, you can eat at different times each evening if that best fits your personal schedule. We prefer eating at times that don't match up with the traditional dining times since they often seem to be either "too early" (5:30 or 6:00pm) or "too late" (8:00 or 8:30pm) and we have yet to miss a show that we really wanted to see. We have also found it possible, when we have found an exceptionally good team of waiters, to arrange to be seated at one of their tables each evening. Sitting by yourselves or with others is your choice. Just request whichever style suits you.

Edited by negc

I cruise alone and use MTD each time. In the 50 nights that I have been at sea I have only been at a table of 2 by myself twice and one of those times there was only a 10cm gap to the next table. The mix of the tables depends on the ship but as always you can ask for what you want.

I cruise alone and use MTD each time. In the 50 nights that I have been at sea I have only been at a table of 2 by myself twice and one of those times there was only a 10cm gap to the next table. The mix of the tables depends on the ship but as always you can ask for what you want.

I don't want to be sitting with a couple who want a dinner by themselves. I'm sure they don't want me either! So who do you get seated with if not by yourself?

We have been using MTD ever since if was first introduced, and we have watched it grow in popularity with every cruise since......my Wife and I always get a table for two...usually right up at the window.....

We always have the same servers, and it turns out we are always seated at the same table around the same people.

The tables are set very close together so it is very easy to have conversations and make friends....or Not...

That's what we like most about MTD...you can eat as fast or slow as you wish, you can or cannot carry on conversations...

We feel we still get the same experiences, but better because we are have much more freedom, and the servers are so much more efficient.....

Incidentally, we always pre-book our dining times ahead of the cruise, and remain consistent with a set time for each nite, give or take an 1/2 hr....and we have found everyone seated around us do the same , that is why we see the same people, have the same table and servers every night.

Again, it brings an element of freedom that we did not experience with reg. MDR dining. In and out as fast or as slowly as we want. Keep it between the 2 of us or mingle with those around us....

Edited by B-52

I don't want to be sitting with a couple who want a dinner by themselves. I'm sure they don't want me either! So who do you get seated with if not by yourself?

If you are by yourself and just rock up when you feel like eating you will probably end up on a round table of 8 (sometimes 6 or 10). At times there will be a spot left empty due to the uneven numbers by there are also groups of 3 which balances it out. Another bonus for solo travelers is that it is a great way to meet people which is a good thing if you go lacking the ready made conversational partner that comes when travelling with someone.

If you are by yourself and just rock up when you feel like eating you will probably end up on a round table of 8 (sometimes 6 or 10). At times there will be a spot left empty due to the uneven numbers by there are also groups of 3 which balances it out. Another bonus for solo travelers is that it is a great way to meet people which is a good thing if you go lacking the ready made conversational partner that comes when travelling with someone.

good points but never did like the chit chat at dinner with people I don't know. Don't get me wrong I can talk to anyone with no problem but I don't want to be the 5th wheel with a party of 6 at a table for 8. Does that make sense?

I could handle a table for two with another solo diner.

Any of you solo diners shed some light?

So - does anyone know if I can switch once I'm onboard or should I try and get my TA to do it? I've already prepaid gratuities, so I'm not worried about that. I just know that after 8 days & nights with my daughter, we both may want someone new to talk to! Lol

Michelle

So - does anyone know if I can switch once I'm onboard or should I try and get my TA to do it? I've already prepaid gratuities, so I'm not worried about that. I just know that after 8 days & nights with my daughter, we both may want someone new to talk to! Lol

Michelle

go to the MDR when you get on. They will have a time that they will be open to discuss POSSIBLE changes. Be there earlier than the opening time and you should get what you want or be near the top for the waiting list. Others will want to change what you don't want so you should be ok. Maybe not the first night but after.