• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Future Oasis Class Vessel For Cape Liberty

FIRELT5

That is an interesting article. Thanks for the heads up.

I noticed it said both Quantum and Anthem would be there in the next twelve months. They won't be there at the same time as I understood it. I thought Anthem was going to supplant Quantum when Quantum heads fro Asia.

If an Oasis Class ship does call that port home, that dashes my hopes of having two such ships continue to port in Florida.

I did not think Oasis-Class will fit under the Verrazano Bridge?

Even if it did; where can you go from NJ? Can't fit into any New England or Canadian Ports. Can't fit into Bermuda. From pretty much November - March you burn at least 1 day each way in cold weather, and that's just hauling butt to get to Nassau. Can't even take the ships to Cococay since they won't do tender ports with these ships. Is it confirmed that they can even port at Port Canaveral? They'd have to run longer than 7 day itinerary on Oasis-class out of NJ just to get to ports that accept the ship and get back. I don't see it happening.

Even if it did; where can you go from NJ? Can't fit into any New England or Canadian Ports. Can't fit into Bermuda. From pretty much November - March you burn at least 1 day each way in cold weather, and that's just hauling butt to get to Nassau. Can't even take the ships to Cococay since they won't do tender ports with these ships. Is it confirmed that they can even port at Port Canaveral? They'd have to run longer than 7 day itinerary on Oasis-class out of NJ just to get to ports that accept the ship and get back. I don't see it happening.

Work has been done and may be completed to change the decks on the Verrazano Bridge so a larger ship can fit but the ship still has to have the perfect tide conditions and lower the stacks as they have for when the Freedom came into the harbor. In the winter its a loss of days for me as its too cold. While I enjoy the sea days I wish to have the choice of enjoying the outdoors but not with my winter coat on.... I think the information stated as it being Oasis class is a little out there as you are so right...the only port it fits in would be a stop in Ft Lauderdale? and then on to Nassau.....lol And I see in the newspapers that the project won't be finished until November 2015 and it coincides with the Panama Canal hopefully being finished. So who knows....maybe we will see an Oasis...but I fear we will be on a 7 day cruise to no where cause she can't fit anywhere around here

Edited by crisndeefromde
correct

I agree. There'd be no ports to go to. I guess they could put an Oasis there for the summer and run longer itineraries to the eastern and western caribbean, but I highly doubt that.

Also, on a Bahamas route, Oasis would only fit into Port Canaveral (I believe the new terminal at PC is able to accommodate an Oasis Class) and Nassau. WOW, thats an exciting itinerary! :rolleyes::eek:;)

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Work has been done and may be completed to change the decks on the Verrazano Bridge so a larger ship can fit but the ship still has to have the perfect tide conditions and lower the stacks as they have for when the Freedom came into the harbor. In the winter its a loss of days for me as its too cold. While I enjoy the sea days I wish to have the choice of enjoying the outdoors but not with my winter coat on.... I think the information stated as it being Oasis class is a little out there as you are so right...the only port it fits in would be a stop in Ft Lauderdale? and then on to Nassau.....lol And I see in the newspapers that the project won't be finished until November 2015 and it coincides with the Panama Canal hopefully being finished. So who knows....maybe we will see an Oasis...but I fear we will be on a 7 day cruise to no where cause she can't fit anywhere around here

The work to raise the bridge is on the Bayonne bridge not the Verrazano. It is still ongoing. The cruise ships don't go anywhere near the Bayonne bridge.

Oasis class cannot fit under that bridge

No such work has been done to increase clearance under the bridge

Stacks on Freedom do not retract

If it did sail out of Bayonne, the ship could easily do 9 or more night itineraries to the same stops it does now, both eastern and western

If it did sail out of Bayonne, the ship could easily do 9 or more night itineraries to the same stops it does now, both eastern and western

Yes but RCI needs Oasis-class ships FULL. Longer itineraries become more difficult for families. 7 days is kind of a family friendly magic number.

In addition to logistical/size problems, I also don't think Oasis class are good cold weather ships. People on the TA have said the ship feels crowded, and in large part it's been attributed to cold/bad weather. All those people who would normally be on the pool decks have to go somewhere when the weather's bad.

Adam Goldstein specifically said when Oasis was first launched that they were deliberately and definitely NOT cold weather-port ships.

They didn't even plant Central Park until after the transatlantic voyages brought them to the U.S.

When Freedom and Liberty arrived, they made stops in Bayonne/Cape Liberty on their way to Florida.

Oasis and Allure did not. A purposeful decision.

I don't believe that Oasis 3 or 4 will ever be based in Cape Liberty, unless they make MAJOR structural/design changes.

:)

Both the Oasis and Allure had to pass under the Great Belt Bridge which has a clearance of 213'. I know they retracted the stacks for the passage, so that may not be something they would want to do on a regular run, but it can fit. The Verranzano Bridge has a clearance of 215' according to a chart I was looking at.

Both the Oasis and Allure had to pass under the Great Belt Bridge which has a clearance of 213'. I know they retracted the stacks for the passage, so that may not be something they would want to do on a regular run, but it can fit. The Verranzano Bridge has a clearance of 215' according to a chart I was looking at.

The clearance on Verrazano is 228 feet, however the article (World Ship Society) mentions that it sags some 12 feet in the summer months.

Here's the article:

The center span specifications called for 228 feet of clearance between the bridge's underside and mean high water to allow the liner Queen Mary to pass beneath. Ironically, the designers of the Queen Mary 2 had to take the bridge height into account, hence the liner's relatively short funnel. Clearance varies depending on the season, with summer heat causing the bridge to sag about 12 feet more than in winter.

Ps. In the article there's a wonderful picture of some 4 ships sailing under the Verrazano, but I'm no teckie and unable to transfer it to this post. I remember when I lived near Weehawken (Hudson County, NJ) and the palisades, it was a wonder seeing the cruise ships leave their docks and sail along the Hudson River and the NYC skyline. Those were the days and pictured is one of my favorite ships "The Oceanic."

I love the idea of a 900 space indoor parking garage! We have sailed Explorer on 9-nighter out of Bayonne during the winter and having to address snow removal when you get off the ship is a miserable reality check that you are indeed done with your vacation;) Thanks for posting this.

Edited by Wilda

The clearance on Verrazano is 228 feet, however the article (World Ship Society) mentions that it sags some 12 feet in the summer months.

Here's the article:

The center span specifications called for 228 feet of clearance between the bridge's underside and mean high water to allow the liner Queen Mary to pass beneath.

I too saw that 228' figure in a couple of places... I think the discrepancy in the two figures is that the 228' is actual vertical clearance and the 215' is the normal permitted clearance, providing some wiggle room.

Looks like if you need extra clearance to squeeze under the bridge, winter and low tide would be your friends!:)

Doesn't say there will be an Oasis class, only that the terminal could handle one. Big difference.

Yes. I think this is just being prudent on RCI's part - if your going to build a new cruise terminal, build it big enough to accommodate your largest ships. Also, sailing an Oasis class ship from NJ over the summer would be huge hit for families.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app