• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Late sailing from San Juan and Late seating MDR

ScottieLuvr

Just realized that Summit departs San Juan at 8:30 p.m. and we've got the late seating for the MDR. Is there any change in the time so we can attend sail away? Leaving San Juan at night is beautiful, but I'd really like to eat earlier in the MDR on that first night. Is that even possible?

Thanks!

We have been in your shoes. Love the Summit and absolutely love the sail away in San Juan.

You have several choices. Head to the maître 'd and beg for an earlier dinner for that night - which they probably can't or won't do. Make a reservation at Bistro on 5 for an earlier time for the $7 per person surcharge or dine in the Lido and grab a table at the Sunset Bar aft. That's a perfect spot for the sail away. If you have a balcony cabin starboard you can always order room service and dine there.

As far as I can see those are your options. I hope you enjoy the southern Caribbean itinerary.

I understand your dilemma...

Sailaway from San Juan is truly GORGEOUS... And not to be missed if you can help it (all those wondrous lights of Old San Jan and the illuminated Forts along the Harbour)

Here is what we found...

Dinner tends to run late that first night, as the Early Seating is "interrupted" for Muster Drill (was 7:45 PM on our sailing). Some people leave the Muster Drill and go back to the MDR to finish up (Dessert for most we were told). So it was closer to 9 PM by the time the MDR was reset & ready to welcome the Late Seating

You might want to make inquiries when you get onboard as to when Muster Drill is scheduled for

Personally, if I was to do it again...

We would either skip the MDR entirely on Night One (not that uncommon, often Pax who have travelled far that day don't make it to Dinner)

Or

I would plan to eat elsewhere, but show up to the MDR and my assigned table in time for Dessert... Best done tho if you've perhaps given the Maitre D a heads up that this is your plan (and he informs / leaves a note for your Tablemates that you will be joining them later = no surprises)

In this way... You can catch the Sailaway, and still have the opportunity to meet your Table Mates, later over coffee

lol, on the otherhand nothing is truly 100% predictable when it comes to E-Days I have found.

Second time we sailed out of San Juan, it did not happen until almost midnight as there was a computer problem with Homeland Security (manifest upload)... So all the ships due to depart that night were waylaid.

So we got to enjoy both our Dinner in the MDR as well as Sailaway afterwards.

Missed the Opening Night Preview in the Theatre... But the show from our Balcony toasting OSJ as she twinkled on the horizon was well worth it (sides the Preview is just coming attractions... No real loss there)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thank you, Alcpa1 and Sloop-JohnB, for your replies and advice! Since we plan to eat in the MDR each night, the main concern was for our waiter and table mates, and missing that first meeting.

Only four more days till we sail!

Best regards to all -