Chaos of the Seas--Wesbound TA

Titanic, really? Anybody drown, around 1,500 did on the Titanic. I'm not saying it wasn't a rough crossing, but nobody lost their life did they? :confused:

I see that you reread my post. After it was pointed out to you.

Sorry if some think that I and others are critical of "not the normal RCL cruise", but in my career one is not judge by the thousands of good flights, but the one that something went wrong.

I was on the 2 cruises pre-dry dock..... going back to post #1 this is how I felt most of the time.... feeling claustrophobic at times because of crowds and queuing for MDR and WJ which I've never experienced before. The Solarium Bistro not able to seat all those looking to eat there during the day. I'm only grateful I was able to snag an upgrade to a balcony and could sit out there rather than stay inside and struggle to find somewhere peaceful to sit in a public area. Even the Viking Crown was occupied with private group events.

We had perfect weather. The Westbound TA set sail around the time hurricane Gonzalo hit the British Isles. I'm not at all surprised to read that the crowding was even worse. I won't be boarding Oasis Class again any time soon.

Our M&M was in Dazzles so really poor venue as we were on 2 levels. And no mingling.... did enjoy the AD though.

Trying to board oasis at southampton was a nightmare and very dangerous situation indeed , disembarkation at Fort Lauderdale nightmare flights back home would have been missed , staff looking like lost sheep could not give answers to the guests, we had a wonderful waitress in the silk dining room maritess lovely girl and brilliant at her job.

Can you describe what was dangerous about boarding at Southampton? Having sailed twice from there, I can't remember anything about the terminal that could be considered dangerous. It seemed nice and modern.

jc

Can you describe what was dangerous about boarding at Southampton? Having sailed twice from there, I can't remember anything about the terminal that could be considered dangerous. It seemed nice and modern.

jc

Maybe something like the Who concert at Riverfront in 1979. :eek:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

You know how we can tell you were not on this cruise?

The Meet and Mingle should have been renamed to the "Meet and have the Italian guy give away crap so that the Cruise Critic Members can't meet up and compare notes on how things were sucking at that point". Really, in the ice rink? Which is able to be covered for some dance event.

This is our first trans Atlantic and our first RCl cruise, and I was told numerous times that this was not normal of RCl. I would like to just put this thought into everyone's mind:

With the total lack of communication, supervisor level management, and disorganization of this cruise, had anything bad happened it would be a Titanic level disaster.

I definitely wasn't on the cruise. Never alluded to being on board. Sorry that your M&M was crappy. My experience is they are 95% crappy. The only semi decent ones have happened on TA cruises. Not so much the M&M but the roll call where the members join up and have many other activities through out the cruise. I definitely, think because of the number of consecutive sea days that a good roll-call group helps fill the void of no ports on a TA cruise. JMHO and YMMV

jc

Embarkation on this occasion at Southampton could easily be described as dangerous for some. The Port Officials had no control over the arriving guests, they did not organise any queuing system, and therefore it was simply a mob all trying to get into 2 small entry doors. Many people felt trapped and uncomfortable for long periods, with others pushing from behind. They did not even open access to the check in area until about 2 hours after suggested arrival times for the first set of cruisers, so without any organisation the mob was large and not happy. This situation continued for over 2 hours for many, yes it could easily have been dangerous. The Ship management were not able to instruct the port team to change the situation, and the port team seemed unable to organise a P*** Up in a Brewey :D

jc

Maybe something like the Who concert at Riverfront in 1979. :eek:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Maybe some of the same people in attendance?:D That was 35 years ago, and a 30 year old woudl be 65 possibly retired and sailing on a TA. Could be. I attended a who concert when I was 13 with an older cousin, but nobody got trampled.

I do not mean to make jokes, per se, about people being trampled to death, but I am not sure what RCI has to do with the port facilities or the bad behavior of the people who push and shove to get to the front of the line.

We just got back from a river cruise, and while I have never experienced this behavior in the UK, I was reminded a couple of times of a ski trip to Europe in 1985, where the gueues I was used to in Colorado where everyone was split into 6 or 7 lines and everyone alternated. In Europe in the 80s, there was a big opening then an opening that was for individuals. My lord if you didn't push, shove, block and generally behave boorishly you never got on the lift. There were a couple of times in Eastern Europe with lines into to venues that reminded me of the ski lifts. I do believe there could be some truth to a statement that European's view of lines differs from a USA view.

jc

First No cruise is a bad cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some are just better than others.

IMHO

The Oasis should have been in Dry dock longer, maybe a week. Too many things undone and it seems for what ever reason most every thing from TV, activities to entertainment was askew. Ask anyone who was on deck 4 about the line to see the primer of CATS, and yes it opened late.

Yes the weather played a big role for many, but that is the luck of the draw in mid Fall, but it had no excuse for the poor service in the MDR, maybe I should clarify that, we use MTD almost as the new to come Dynamic dining, so a new wait staff for each evening in the MDR, and yes the service had virtually the same issues each time. Quite frankly Denny's is better but I doubt that they could handle 3000 patrons LOL. The service issues are not the norm for RC.

Food(we are not foodies) was hit or miss, mostly miss, the spiny lobster was WAY over cooked, yes I could have tried to send it back but WHY, saw the couple next to us trying to be polite and eat/cut it LOL. Oh yes we know spiny lobster, we had all we could eat all our lives.

The Crown and Anchor program was great.

Warning to all those doing the Allure TA next year, please check your flight times, you might be delayed more than usual. On arrival the entire Oasis/Allure staff has to go through customs/immigration so they take a few of the immigration stations, there was a long line for cruisers to get to a immigration officer and transportation.

On a side note, I saw many airport shuttles(I guess free) available, some where I saw/read that they only ran from around noon on??????

Maybe some of the same people in attendance?:D That was 35 years ago, and a 30 year old woudl be 65 possibly retired and sailing on a TA. Could be. I attended a who concert when I was 13 with an older cousin, but nobody got trampled.

I do not mean to make jokes, per se, about people being trampled to death, but I am not sure what RCI has to do with the port facilities or the bad behavior of the people who push and shove to get to the front of the line.

We just got back from a river cruise, and while I have never experienced this behavior in the UK, I was reminded a couple of times of a ski trip to Europe in 1985, where the gueues I was used to in Colorado where everyone was split into 6 or 7 lines and everyone alternated. In Europe in the 80s, there was a big opening then an opening that was for individuals. My lord if you didn't push, shove, block and generally behave boorishly you never got on the lift. There were a couple of times in Eastern Europe with lines into to venues that reminded me of the ski lifts. I do believe there could be some truth to a statement that European's view of lines differs from a USA view.

jc

It may be right or wrong but I think that just about everything that happens once someone enters the port until they leave the port, in many people's eyes, has a reflection on RCI. RCI is a customer of the port and pays money to have their ships docked there. And since they know that the port experience is going to have an impact on their customers' vacation experience as well as their impression of RCI, they should use some clout with the port authority to try to make the process as relatively painless as possible.

As far as lines go in Europe, speaking as an Italian all I can ask is.... what is a line?:p

Embarkation on this occasion at Southampton could easily be described as dangerous for some. AGREE

The Port Officials had no control over the arriving guests, they did not organise any queuing system, and therefore it was simply a mob all trying to get into 2 small entry doors. Many people felt trapped and uncomfortable for long periods, with others pushing from behind.

They did not even open access to the check in area until about 2 hours after suggested arrival times for the first set of cruisers, so without any organisation the mob was large and not happy. This situation continued for over 2 hours for many, yes it could easily have been dangerous. The Ship management were not able to instruct the port team to change the situation, and the port team seemed unable to organise a P*** Up in a Brewey :D

Try being an In Transit person- we got on in Rotterdam with not such a great embarkation either and going through that crowd to find the door opening they had for us at the front?

We had to squeeze along the window to get there holding our sea pass card high above to show we were not butting into the check-in crowd, to get to the front.

There was a line made for us later on, at about 3 PM I was told?:rolleyes:

We felt RCL should have had someone come check and see how their passengers were treated and they could have advised them to do some organizing? It was not acceptable what we all went through and we were not even checking in that day!!!

Edited by CVU

This is what could be considered as "dangerous" at the terminal. (As questioned by a poster above). We had a lady (petite - but not frail) at our table describe how she kept getting hit in the head from a guy who was carrying some type of sports racquet over his shoulder waiting for embarkation. Her husband had to ask him to either stop whipping around or hold it in his hands. They couldn't move away from him due to the pushing crowd.

Then, later as they were moving forward she was forced to the side of a door or opening and was trapped wedged there as others pushed by her. Her husband had to go back and move people to release her. She was afraid and I don't blame her.

RCI needed to handle some crowd control.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

RCI failed to anticipate they would not be able to start boarding at 12:00.

They sometimes struggle to clear ships and start boarding at 12:00 on normal turnaround days when the ships arrive at 4-5 am how they thought they could start at 12:00 with a 10:00arrival is beyond compression.

Southampton port authority are not responsible for segregation that is cruise lines job. If the cruise line failed to ask for line barriers outside they won't get them. They did have segregation inside the terminal before security but they only hold a few 100. They probably could have filled those to release pressure outside.

In our letter the day before from the Captain, it said boarding would be delayed and lengthly and would not start until 1PM.

So, we did not arrive until after 1 PM, following our time in Port after UK Immigration.

Well it was a complete and utter shambles and a very Dangerous situation to be in. Blame whoever you want but if there had been a serious incident I'm sure we would find out who was the weak link.

RCI couldn't even organise the queuing on Ship, another shambles, in fact RCI were very poor throughout. But they had our Hard Earnt Cash, even had our TIPs, the only person on this Cruise who deserved them was the Cabin Boy.

And I mean that our Waiter forgot to dish out ordered meals, and didn't know the difference from a Meringue and a Moose, we had to tell him and he said that is what you ordered, after a few nice words off he went to the Galley and returned with the correct Dish, No apology just made light of it.

We loved the Ship, Fellow Cruisers and everything it offered, Will we do the Oasis again NO, TA possibly, RCI one more chance as it is Booked

Just realized that we have not received the post cruise customer satisfaction survey:confused:. Has anyone received one? It is usually waiting when we get home.

Yup. We both received ours Monday by noon. Filled it out while waiting at the Import for our flight.

Just realized that we have not received the post cruise customer satisfaction survey:confused:. Has anyone received one? It is usually waiting when we get home.

Got it sitting waiting to line up to get off the ship. All done and sent away...

I agree embarkation was dangerous at Southampton. We stood outside in the crush for 2 hours, I was so squashed I couldn't even turn on the spot to check that my husband was still behind me. When we actually got up to near the one door that they were letting people in the pushing was scary. I couldn't have stopped even if I wanted to, such was the pressure on all sides. I'm pregnant and maybe that makes me feel more vulnerable anyway but I really felt uncomfortable and not safe

Never ever gonna do a TA on these big girls. They work fine sailing out of FLL's purpose built terminal with no immigration issues. Not so sailing from Europe with headaches over there and at FLL.

Edited by The Big Booper
The newest (Quantum class) Royal ships have no Viking Crown. On Legend, 2/3 of the Viking Crown was turned into fee restaurants.

Quantum does have a lot more venues overlooking the sea (it appears on the deck plans, I'll report back after the 11/18 cruise). Quantum also has Two70 which has a large view of the ocean, not a high vantage point but still something. I would caution dismissing it till we get reports back.

As for the whole no outside views, I noticed that on Oasis's Deck Plans and probably will never sail on her class for that reason, but balcony cabins are a significantly higher fare, and everyone likes to be upgraded!

I've been on one cruise with X on the Summit and I loved seeing the sea, but was surprised even then when windows were covered up in the rendezvous lounge.

Just wanted to chime in that my parents were on the TA, boarded in Rotterdam. They said they had a great time, and their only complaint was that it took a long time to disembark in Ft. Lauderdale. It was their second time on the ship.

I have no other details, and they didn't mention any of the other issues that posters brought up. I was unaware of the issues when I spoke to them, so didn't know to ask about them.

With regards to this boarding process being dangerous, three people fainted while waiting to board. That could be very dangerous!

As far as people using this board to complain, don't you think people have a right and duty to warn people of a fiasco. Yes there were thousands on the ship, but only a small percentage are on Cruise critic. Of those on Cruise Critic, most people are telling the truth about RCI's failure. Many of the people are very loyal to RCI. Some will be honest about this experience, but some find no wrong with RCI no matter what. Saying that someone is stupid going to WJ at a crowded time is uncalled for. Many times you have either a tour, or a lecture to attend and MUST eat at a certain time. The lectures were mostly at 10:30am, just after breakfast. We had no problem finding seats at the WJ , or in Silk.

RCI needs to take responsibility for their short comings.

Edited by chloe kitty

We could not pre-book any shows as only people who boarded in Rotterdam could pre-book anything. On our day 2 the compass showed that we could book shows through a RCI staff member at 9:30 by the Champagne bar. We showed up at 9:00 and were at the front of the line. At 9:30 no-one from RCI showed up. We asked some RCI staff that were passing by to see if they could find out what was going on and to a person they all said that they would try to find out. None ever came back to tell us anything. At 9:44 the staff member showed up and said nothing about being late. I asked him if he owned a watch and he said yes. I asked him if he knew what time it was and he said 9:44. I then asked what time he was supposed to be here and he said 9:30 but he had technical issues. I asked him if these technical issues prevented him from having someone come over to tell us he would be late. He got that vacant look on his face that many RCI staff members had throughout the cruise. We finally did get some shows we wanted)

A question as we are fellow D+ guests and will be traveling on Allure.

Is it normal for d+ to need reservations for shows:confused: my understanding is there are reserved seating diamond plus and gold card holders for the majority of shows.

Also, was the Diamond concierge unable to organize your tickets? In the past on other ships we have been on guest services always tell us to utilize the diamond concierge for things of this nature.

I am just trying to ascertain if this was just off for this cruise or is the standard on the oasis class ships.