• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Port of Houston Beverage Policy

crwoodr

I have read that I am allowed to bring on a case of water or soda, but it also states that some ports won't deliver it to your room for you. I don't want to have to carry it around until my room is ready. Can someone tell me if the Port of Houston is one of the ports that deliver to your room or not? Also, I am traveling with a diabetic. Can I bring a cooler on board with juice in it for her and emergencies?

A cruiser just off this past week says that Houston is the same as New Orleans and Tampa. That means no check in of your soda, you must carry it on. You can take a small cooler with your juice if you want, same rules though, you will have to drag it around.

We usually pack our soda in a suitcase and it has always made it to our cabin just fine

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yep, you can do that. But if they stack the suitcases 10 high and the cans break, you know what you get. Also, if they can't tell what's in there, you may end up in the "naughty room" and have to go stand in line, retrieve your suitcase and haul it to your room. Easier to carry it on?

We carry on two 12 packs of soda always. I bought a small roller luggage carrier just for that. Before, I used a two wheeled cart from Kmart or Walmart. If you don't wish to roll it with you waiting for your room, there will be a place to store carry on luggage. Just ask as you board. However, lately the rooms have been available for you to drop off your carry ons as soon as you board, and then exit that area while the room stewards finish getting them ready.

I saw plenty of people with the collapsible rolling luggage carriers. I had a 24 pack of bottled water that fit perfectly in a gym bag so I could carry it over my shoulder or drag it along by the strap when were were in line. Unlike in Galveston, they didn't examine each bottle individually. Just put the whole bag through the scanner and that was it.

Yep, you can do that. But if they stack the suitcases 10 high and the cans break, you know what you get. Also, if they can't tell what's in there, you may end up in the "naughty room" and have to go stand in line, retrieve your suitcase and haul it to your room. Easier to carry it on?

I have seen the aftermath of cans/bottles breaking (not personal experience), and it leaks over other suitcases too. :eek: