Klfhngr's story: I missed the boat in Nassau!

I just got back from a cruise and got mad when my husband took my passport ashore because I had forgotten my drivers license. This story sure changed my feeling on that, I think I will always take my passport now. You know how on some ports they don't check your picture ID so I was willing to take the chance.

And the poster who talked about personal responsibility is correct. I was on a ship that left a family in Belize, that would be scary!!!! The ship excursion was an hour late and people said they told the whole bus many times to go straight to the tender, NO SHOPPING, and the tender would be ready to take them right back. Well one family chose to shop, after they had been told multiple times not too, and they were left because they were not at the pier.

Another time a family got left at Mahogany Bay, I am not sure the circumstances. Luckily for them there was another ship in port going to the same next stop and they put them on that ship to meet up with our ship. I would love to know the details how that worked and if they had to pay the second ship for their night there.

Another time a family got left at Mahogany Bay, I am not sure the circumstances. Luckily for them there was another ship in port going to the same next stop and they put them on that ship to meet up with our ship. I would love to know the details how that worked and if they had to pay the second ship for their night there.

That would be nice to know. If it was the same cruise line probably not. But think of the good PR if it wasn't and they didn't charge them.

That would be nice to know. If it was the same cruise line probably not. But think of the good PR if it wasn't and they didn't charge them.

It was not the same cruise line. We were on Carnival and the other ship was NCL. That is why I wondered if they charged them. And I wondered if they just had to sleep in the public areas of the ship. Either way it was much better than what it could have been!

Wow! I just read through this harrowing story for the first time and hyper-ventilated through a lot of it. I am glad there was a happy ending, but even more grateful that Klfhngr took the time to share it with all of us. Additional thanks to the OP of this thread for summarizing the important details and getting it out here on CC.

I, too, almost missed a sail away in Nassau in the mid-80's ... fortunately got there just as the dock workers were tossing the rope off the last cleat. My friend and I (both irresponsible, early 20's) were watching sunrise from a Cable Beach bar when the bartender said "don't you have to catch your ship?" Some nice, not-so-drunk, customer raced us to the pier, but the reality of it (once sober hours later) made me certain that I never wanted to feel that terror again.

My family and friends cruising group size has greatly increased over the years, but I always enforce this rule:

1. Those of us that do not want to do CL Excursions ALWAYS stay together (in sight).

2. Those that want to do something different (scuba, deep sea fishing, etc.) must only go on a CL Excursion package.

I frequently sail with family/friend groups of 7 to 15 people (all ages) and it is trying even to manage on-board events (i.e., dinner!) Off the ship, I can rally the "non-excursion" people back to the ship on time, but the cruise line is responsible for getting the paid excursion passengers back before sailing. --THE SHIP WILL NOT SAIL UNTIL THESE EXCURSION PASSENGERS ARE ONBOARD--

My two-cents on the importance of passports: GET one and keep it renewed. Prior to Sept 11, 2001, traveling between the U.S. and popular North America cruise ship ports (Bahamas/Caribbean/Mexico) was easy, but the world has changed.

I got my first US Passport in the late '90's when my job required me to travel to other areas of the world. I encountered situations that my US Passport proved critical in a couple difficult circumstances. I was in Europe on Sept 11, 2001, and my passport was checked a gazillion times before finally getting back to my home airport in the US. (Multiple airports just to get home.)

Regardless what the cruise ships advise, since 2001, I have NEVER left my passport on the ship when I have disembarked in another country. I recently renewed my passport and paid a little extra for the new passport wallet card. Both arrived this week, I thoroughly reviewed, and have confidence in both for travel. My next cruise is only stopping in the Bahamas so I feel completely comfortable leaving the ship with just my passport card, but would reconsider if it was for other ports right now.

When the cruise ships starting advising to leave your passport on the ship (YEARS ago), it was because there was a huge black market for stolen US passports. Online technology today has changed the need for that (think: minors 20 years ago that just changed out a photo on a DL to buy beer.) I'm not saying that passport theft is not an issue, but is not the impediment it once was for those that desperately want to get into the US today.

Anyway, my tips are:

1. Get a passport

2. Make a copy of that passport before you leave home

3. Leave the copy in your cabin (and with family members)

4. Have your passport with you at all times if you are not on US soil

• 1 month later...

Thank you for sharing your story. My boys are exactly the same ages as yours. There's no way in the world I would ever take the chance of leaving my 16-year-old son if I thought he were separated from the friend. Your choice was spot on. My husband was pickpocketed in Athens and lost his passport. You are correct, the embassies don't play. You must prove who you are before they will even call you by name. Until that moment, you are Sir or Madame. You literally have NO IDENTITY!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your story. My wife and I just returned from a RC cruise that stopped in Nassau for the day. We were very concerned about being back on time. The ship left at 4:30pm and we were on board by 2:30pm.

I assumed the cruise lines had a protocol and were prepared for these circumstances. It sounds like they are not. I'm glad you had your wits, Alfred, and your TA to throw something together!

• Like 1

I assumed the cruise lines had a protocol and were prepared for these circumstances. It sounds like they are not.

Yes they have a protocol setup. They have a digital clock as you are getting off the ship that is set to ships time. They also have it listed when you book between what hours you are at each port. They also put it in the daily platter. Also when you are leaving the ship they have it listed as to what time to be back onboard. After that you are responsible to be back on time or the boat sails.

What more do you want? Should they be responsible to get you to the next port if you don't get back in time?

Yes they have a protocol setup. They have a digital clock as you are getting off the ship that is set to ships time. They also have it listed when you book between what hours you are at each port. They also put it in the daily platter. Also when you are leaving the ship they have it listed as to what time to be back onboard. After that you are responsible to be back on time or the boat sails.

What more do you want? Should they be responsible to get you to the next port if you don't get back in time?

No reason to be abrasive.

I agree. It's everyone's responsibility to be back to the ship on time. I didn't find it to be a difficult task on my last and only cruise.

However, I can imagine that there would be certain scenarios through honest mistakes or circumstances outside of a persons control in which passengers are left in port.

For those situations, I assumed there would be a local contact that the cruise line had appointed to get the stranded passenger moving in the right direction to get to the ship at the next port or to get home.

From the way the story reads, Alfred just happened to be there and just happened to be willing to help.

If you book a cruise line excursion and it is late the ship will wait for you. That is part why they charge a little bit more. Think of it as insurance.

Here is a good article. There is also a short video interview with John Heald watch it. I think it will answer your question.

https://mycruisestories.com/2014/05/26/interview-with-john-heald-left-behind-on-a-cruise/

Edited by A_Sea_Bugg

If you book a cruise line excursion and it is late the ship will wait for you. That is part why they charge a little bit more. Think of it as insurance.

Here is a good article. There is also a short video interview with John Heald watch it. I think it will answer your question.

https://mycruisestories.com/2014/05/26/interview-with-john-heald-left-behind-on-a-cruise/

Very informative. Thank you.

No reason to be abrasive.

I agree. It's everyone's responsibility to be back to the ship on time. I didn't find it to be a difficult task on my last and only cruise.

However, I can imagine that there would be certain scenarios through honest mistakes or circumstances outside of a persons control in which passengers are left in port.

For those situations, I assumed there would be a local contact that the cruise line had appointed to get the stranded passenger moving in the right direction to get to the ship at the next port or to get home.

From the way the story reads, Alfred just happened to be there and just happened to be willing to help.

Alfred didn't just happen to be there, he is the cruise line's port agent and part of his job is doing just what he did for the OP. If anyone gets left behind their first contact should be with this individual because he or she will have all of the information necessary to get you on your way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, it's me again.. first, I haven't been on CC since my posts here.

Second, my story was true, no exaggerations.

The only reason I'm posting now is because some asked to check in with final cost.

It came out to approx. $1500 to cover additional costs for missing the ship.

My best friend spent almost $500 from his pocket to cover cell phone usage to stay in contact with me and for renting a van to pick me up at the airport in Jamaica.

Finally, my friend that cause me to miss the boat pulled thru on his promise. We've had about 2k in free dental work done for us by him. We sincerely appreciate that he did this and it's a done deal.

Any yes, we're still very close friends, lol. Just saw him last weekend.

Alrighty, I'm out.

Amazing story! Wondering if you sailed again and just quit posting on CC or did this experience made you change your mind about sailing.

On a side note, I never believed in taking my passport ashore because of pick-pockets but I think I will now invest in a body pouch.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Just put it in your front pocket. Be aware of your surroundings. No worries.

From all that I've read most passports are stolen because they are kept with other valuables (such as being carried in a camera bag or purse). The pickpocket is going to target the obvious loot (and they have identified what they are going to steal before making their move) such as a wallet or money belt and won't even know that you have your passport unless you are flashing it about. So, don't take your passport out and don't keep it with other valuables.

• 4 weeks later...

We have always, always carried our passports on our person if we are in a foreign country.......that is what they are for!

We have spoken to this subject on a couple of other threads, and it seems to be a 50/50 split as to whether or not it is a good idea to carry your passport on your person or leave it in your stateroom safe and simply carry a copy of your passport.

We have been told that a person cannot fly from one country to another without a passport, and a copy will not suffice....don't have the link that proves that statement is correct, but we will always travel with our passports on our person while on foreign soil.:D JMHO....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OMG I have seen this happen a few times but had no idea. This happened most recently in April. Two people missed the Summit and tried in vain to convince the people on the other Celebrity ship docked next to us to take them but to no avail. They were crying between the expletives and like the story here the dock emptied out almost immediately after we left. Painful lesson here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From all that I've read most passports are stolen because they are kept with other valuables (such as being carried in a camera bag or purse). The pickpocket is going to target the obvious loot (and they have identified what they are going to steal before making their move) such as a wallet or money belt and won't even know that you have your passport unless you are flashing it about. So, don't take your passport out and don't keep it with other valuables.

This brings to mind a question...When you go to a place like Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica,where you are down to your bathing suit, what do you do with valuables there? Are there lockers available? Also would you even bring your passport in that case? I only ask that because normally I do carry my passport but if it is not going to be on me then im not comfortable bringing it with me in thissituation.

TIA

Gal

This brings to mind a question...When you go to a place like Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica,where you are down to your bathing suit, what do you do with valuables there? Are there lockers available? Also would you even bring your passport in that case? I only ask that because normally I do carry my passport but if it is not going to be on me then im not comfortable bringing it with me in thissituation.

TIA

Gal

It's a good question but even if they had lockers I am not sure that I would risk my passport in one. Our upcoming cruise will be our first with passports and I think we're just going to leave them aboard in the safe.

TIA

Gal

Did Dunn River several years ago and there was nowhere to store valuables. There were 6 of us and we had packed light, so I volunteered to carry the backpacks and walk up the falls on the footpath beside the water. It was prob more fun watching everyone and laughing than actually doing it. It is tricky depending on water flow and I was just as happy walking for the exercise. Check the Jamaica boards for current info.

Not sure if I read on CC or Tripadvisor about the lockers at Dunn's River but did try to get confirmation on here but unable to.

Anywho don't want to take this thread away from the current topic too much but will most likely not bring Passports on that excursion. Maybe just a copy. :rolleyes:

Gal

• 3 weeks later...