• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Cruising: Remaining Onboard?

Arsinoe

Do any of you who cruise regularly remain onboard for the entire cruise? If so, why do you choose (or find it necessary) to do so? How do you spend your days when others are visiting ports? Do you find the cruise still enjoyable?

One reason that I ask this is that I will be traveling with my 90 year old mother on the Divina Western Caribbean cruise. She has travelled a great deal in her life, and also taken many cruises. This time she is thinking of remaining onboard throughout the trip. I am a bit reluctant to abandon her, though she will be fine on her own.

For myself, I am an inveterate sightseer--though I prefer to travel independently. On this itinerary my only must-see is Tulum (to which I will take the ship excursion, because of the distance and time-frame). For the other ports, I might leave the ship, but feel a less urgent need to do so.

If you stay onboard, how do you spend your days?

Only time was on a European cruise with a stop in Tunisia. Honestly, my favorite days are at sea days, but there is more to do than on port days. You can probably get some nice semi private pool time, hit up the buffet, get a massage...

Tunisia, I wish we were stopping in Tunisia! ;)

(We picked a Miami itinerary, because my mom did not feel up to flying.)

Neither of us like buffets, nor spa treatments, and we have a fine pool and beach at home. In many ways this was an odd itinerary for our interests, but it is convenient, inexpensive, and will give my mom a change of scenery and, hopefully, a chance to meet some new people. We are both people who have fun wherever we are, so it will be fine. Wish that MSC had more daytime enrichment activities: lectures, seminars, classes.

Yeah from what I hear, MSC is a little weak when it comes to things like that. I'm sure that you will find things to do though! Im sure that there will be plenty of people hanging around the ship throughout the days at ports of call, so im sure socializing won't be an issue. Have fun!!

Did sty onboard for almost all of one cruise with MSC. I'd been overdoing it before the cruise working 80 hours weeks and was exhausted. Only wanted to get off at 2 ports but ended up with a rotten cold for a couple of days when we were there.

I did enjoy the peace and quiet onboard. I was perfectly happy having a leisurely breakfast in the MDR each day, then heading up to quiet decks to read my newspaper (they print them for you for a small charge and have a very wide range available). Lunch in MDR then some more relaxation in the afternoon. pre dinner drinks, theatre and lively dinner with great table companions.

I'm not big on group activities and am happiest being left on my own devices where I can read, relax and listen to music. They do have some things on but not so much during port time as almost everyone goes ashore.

I did enjoy the peace and quiet onboard. I was perfectly happy having a leisurely breakfast in the MDR each day, then heading up to quiet decks to read my newspaper (they print them for you for a small charge and have a very wide range available). Lunch in MDR then some more relaxation in the afternoon. pre dinner drinks, theatre and lively dinner with great table companions.

I'm not big on group activities and am happiest being left on my own devices where I can read, relax and listen to music. They do have some things on but not so much during port time as almost everyone goes ashore.

AmoMondo, you have pretty much described a perfect day for me. Like you, I enjoy peace and quiet, love a leisurely meal with good company in the MDR, look forward to good theatre and music, and am not a huge fan of group activities.

In another thread I asked where I might find a quiet, outdoor bistros table on the Divine, where I could read and write.

AmoMondo, you have pretty much described a perfect day for me. Like you, I enjoy peace and quiet, love a leisurely meal with good company in the MDR, look forward to good theatre and music, and am not a huge fan of group activities.

In another thread I asked where I might find a quiet, outdoor bistros table on the Divine, where I could read and write.

I haven't been on the Divina yet, not due to sail on her until next June when she's back on Europe. On the Fantasia the aft pool area and bar was a bit quieter, don't know of it will be on the Divina. Most of the quieter places when the ship is not in port are inside during the day. The indoor olo area has tables and chairs but might not be quiet. It wasn't on our sailing but that was because the weather wasn't great so being at the indoor pool area was very popular.

There may be some tables and chairs outside at the very rear of the buffet, but I could be getting confused with the Musica or Lirica class ships.