Royal Caribbean - Beware a potential trap?

As you didn't book IN the US or in the UK (assuming you were not in port in either location when booking - you booked in person at sea) it would seem that neither country's policy applies.

I think that as OP had booking assigned to TA based in UK that is why it automatically fell under UK policy.

One way to get around this may be to request it as a RC (US) booking (if possible) whilst onboard then transfer to TA after the cruise. Just a thought:)

Edited by Spurschick
I think that as OP had booking assigned to TA based in UK that is why it automatically fell under UK policy.

One way to get around this may be to request it as a RC (US) booking (if possible) whilst onboard then transfer to TA after the cruise. Just a thought:)

I did ask if I could book it in dollars as the booking fee was only $75 but I was told they couldn't do that as RCCL rules say that it has to be transferred to your current TA so the deposit was £150 ($238) per guest. I wondered why UK guests had to pay 3 times what a USA guest pays? Perhaps because they know USA guests can cancel at any time up to nearer the cruise and get their money back but UK guests they've got your money right away and you can't get it back unless they choose to?

Several answers have spoken about the button to change site to a different country. This must be peculiar to the USA site. In the UK there is no similar button. You can try any way you like to get onto the USA site but it just keeps bumping you back to the UK site; unless someone knows differently? But thanks to those who have pointed it out for my next cruise.

Several answers have spoken about the button to change site to a different country. This must be peculiar to the USA site. In the UK there is no similar button. You can try any way you like to get onto the USA site but it just keeps bumping you back to the UK site; unless someone knows differently? But thanks to those who have pointed it out for my next cruise.

It seems easy to get from the US site to the UK site as described. Hopefully that will work for you when aboard next time.

Not surprising if getting from the UK site to the US site is a whole different matter. Maybe a UK based person knows the trick.

Just change url - RoyalCaribbean.com as opposed to RoyalCaribbean.co.uk

That would work in Indiana and in Wisconsin, but I'm not sure it is that easy everywhere. As I recall, when last I was overseas, I'd type my usual .com (or use my bookmarks) for cruise companies, and I'd be connected to the local websites rather than the US one.

Just change url - RoyalCaribbean.com as opposed to RoyalCaribbean.co.uk

I'd tried using .com but it just reverts to .co. uk even clicking on the link to connect to international sites at the bottom of the home page gets bumped back to the UK site. It's as though RCCL doesn't want UK guests to see the big difference in price that they have to pay; or am I just being cynical?

I'd tried using .com but it just reverts to .co. uk even clicking on the link to connect to international sites at the bottom of the home page gets bumped back to the UK site. It's as though RCCL doesn't want UK guests to see the big difference in price that they have to pay; or am I just being cynical?

If you want to see US prices, try looking at a US travel agency website. After all, if you decide you want to book on US terms, would you have to find a US agency willing and able to properly handle it for you?

Maybe just a little bit cynical but not all US prices are cheaper.

Try this link, tell me if it works for you

My UK cousin booked a cruise onboard over a year in advance. She changed jobs and can't get holidays when she needs them. If she moves the cruise to the next cruise that sails they are charging her this fee.

So, in hindsight that ends her on board bookings and she is booking her next cruise through a North American travel agency.

You can turn off auto redirection in the browser http://www.jkwebtalks.com/2010/02/disable-automatic-meta-refreshredirect.html this should prevent it from automatically loading the UK page. You can also use a US proxy server.

Not sure the link is current, but gives you an idea of what to search for with your browser. Firefox and Chrome probably both have plugin that can block this behavior on certain sites.

What was booked on board.

A $us or £uk ?

A us that ended up in the in the UK could be an issue as uk will not be able to modify it.

As has been said the loss of deposits and cancellation charges a T&C not legislation.

One cruise line lost a court case for the penalties being excessive(which is against consumer laws).

Eu/uk consumer laws protect you from things like itinerary changes.

Maybe just a little bit cynical but not all US prices are cheaper.

Try this link, tell me if it works for you

Yes, thanks. It does work and I can see the button for changing countries that others have spoken about. I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to book a cruise??

Don't think anyone(uk) has found a way to book US direct best to find a US TA.

Most will give a better deal anyway.

The problem on board is the country setting will send you to .co.uk which is not a supported free site.

Also when price checking you need to check Uk,Us and EU prices the best deal can be with any BUT the price drop policies are different and one locked into a uk/eu booking it hard to change to a US if the price drops there.

Edited by insidecabin