ashvb

Amsterdam Restaurants & Cafes

Hi all,

Does anyone have any must visit places in Amsterdam for food, drinks, or brown cafes? We're based at the Moevenpick. I am hoping to try a brown cafe, genever, stroopwaffels, poffertjes, etc.

Thanks!
Ashley

try the raw herring at a street cart. It's a raw herring gutted and head cut off that you dip in chopped onions, dangle over your mouth and then eat bite by bite. Try risjtaffel, an Indonesian feast of many (like 20+) small dishes and rice. For those who don't know a "brown" cafe features marijuana/hashish that one can legally smoke in the cafe. Back in the 70's we would go to the Melk Weg (Milky Way) which was a church converted into a night club where you could legally buy and smoke hashish. The many rooms contained various forms of entertainment. If you like Nutella try hagel slakjes (hail stones) which are chocolate sprinkles spread on buttered bread or thin slices of (very sweet) coconut to put on your bread at breakfast. If you like licorice there are sweet and "zout"(salty) types. Uitsmijters (SP?) are hefty open faced sandwiches. When you get to Belgium try Frites met (french fries with mayo on top) eaten out of a paper cone. True Belgian fritjes are double fried in beef lard. Now a days they probably use vegetable oil. Smakelijke! (Tasty!)

Thanks for your recommendations!

Actually, I read that a brown cafe is just a bar with wood interiors. It's not a place for marijuana - those places are typically referred to as coffee houses by the Dutch. I'm looking for a brown cafe! :)

[quote name='ashvb']Thanks for your recommendations!

Actually, I read that a brown cafe is just a bar with wood interiors. It's not a place for marijuana - those places are typically referred to as coffee houses by the Dutch. I'm looking for a brown cafe! :)[/quote]

You are right re brown cafe, the place marijuna is sold is called a ""coffee shop"".
You will find plenty cafes in Amsterdam, probably staff in your hotel can name a few too.
On the corner of Dam and Damstraat, next to Hotel Krasnapolsky you will find Cafe Zwart. Also in the RLD on Warmoesstraat there are a few. not all of them are sex orientated.
Also on this site a few are mentioned: [url]http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/Experience/What%20to%20do/Eating%20and%20drinking/Bars%20and%20cafes/Brown%20cafes[/url]

On Dam there usual is a special restaurant offering poffertjes.
Stroopwafels are sold in so many places, e.g. Hema and AH but take the ones made with roomboter, the best quality of butter.
A nice place to taste jenever is this one:
[url]http://www.wynand-fockink.nl/en/home-en[/url]

Enjoy!

Ine's the local expert, but I found that you had to get out into the canals away from the main tourist areas. We had a brown cafe that we used as our "local" for the week we were there--love doing that. Not sure where you'd find such a thing close to your hotel--there are newer, interesting residential areas southeast of there, as I remember.

[quote name='FuelScience']Ine,

Do you have any recommendations for small downtown (possibly canal-front) hotels?

FuelScience[/QUOTE]

We just booked the Canal House Hotel in the Jordaan. Small B & B, breakfast is included.

(Obviously I'm not Ine)
Sent from my iPhone using Forums Edited by nana541

Please use the search functions. There are already hundreds of threads on this topic. Same with hotels in Amsterdam.

[quote name='UKBayern']Please use the search functions. There are already hundreds of threads on this topic. Same with hotels in Amsterdam.[/QUOTE]

Gee this was not terribly helpful, and that's what CC is all about!

PS did you read the title of this thread??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums Edited by nana541

[quote name='FuelScience']Ine,

Do you have any recommendations for small downtown (possibly canal-front) hotels?

FuelScience[/quote]

To name a few:

[url]http://www.prinsengrachthotel.nl/index.php[/url]
[url]http://www.estherea.nl/en/double-canalview.html[/url]
[url]http://www.thetoren.nl/en/[/url]
[url]http://www.carlton.nl/banksmansion/default-en.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=TC_CPC[/url]
[url]http://www.thetimeshotel.nl/en/[/url]
[url]http://www.maxbrownhotels.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.hotelhegra.nl/[/url]
[url]http://www.hotelbrouwer.nl/[/url]

It might be not all hotels have an elevator.
Of course this is just a small collection of the many hotels.

Haesje Claes the food is very good and it seems to attract locals! They have a wonderful gluten free menu. Also a very interesting building.

Here is their web site:

[url]http://www.haesjeclaes.nl/?language=en_EN[/url]

Second seating

[quote name='nana541']Gee this was not terribly helpful, and that's what CC is all about!
[/quote]

Maybe I got it all wrong all these years, but I recall that it says in the guidelines "first use the search functions to find what you are looking for before starting a new thread".
Some new members might not realise there is a search function, so it is a good idea to briefly mention that.

Nobody here has any trouble at all helping a member out with specific questions on a specific subject. On the contrary, I love doing that, although I, as others as well, have limited time. BUT....
some questions have been beaten to death on CC, such as the small downtown hotels or places to eat. I know, because over the years I must have posted the same information in hundreds of posts. Restaurant Haesje Claes, the Pancake Bakery, there must be dozens of posts on the same subject.

I see a problem occuring on the Air Forum, that even though there is a [I]sticky[/I] on the top of the page explaining in great length ALL the pros and cons of Cruise Air, people keep starting new threads on the same subject almost daily. There are a lot of real experts on that forum, but the mood in threads like that starts to be "oh no, not another one". I know of several people who used to help out a lot, but have given up giving helpfull advice all together, because they got fed up answering the same question over and over. The other day somebody even posted a picture of a dead horse being beaten. That is not the sort of sarcasm we want on this forum. It is better to politely inform people of the existence of the search functions.

[quote name='UKBayern']Maybe I got it all wrong all these years, but I recall that it says in the guidelines "first use the search functions to find what you are looking for before starting a new thread".
Some new members might not realise there is a search function, so it is a good idea to briefly mention that.

Nobody here has any trouble at all helping a member out with specific questions on a specific subject. On the contrary, I love doing that, although I, as others as well, have limited time. BUT....
some questions have been beaten to death on CC, such as the small downtown hotels or places to eat. I know, because over the years I must have posted the same information in hundreds of posts. Restaurant Haesje Claes, the Pancake Bakery, there must be dozens of posts on the same subject.

I see a problem occuring on the Air Forum, that even though there is a [I]sticky[/I] on the top of the page explaining in great length ALL the pros and cons of Cruise Air, people keep starting new threads on the same subject almost daily. There are a lot of real experts on that forum, but the mood in threads like that starts to be "oh no, not another one". I know of several people who used to help out a lot, but have given up giving helpfull advice all together, because they got fed up answering the same question over and over. The other day somebody even posted a picture of a dead horse being beaten. That is not the sort of sarcasm we want on this forum. It is better to politely inform people of the existence of the search functions.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for being so very helpful!

In case you missed it this is the River Cruise Port board where active members of that board and new members try to help each other with the most current information on ports visited by the many River Cruise companies. TRY TO HELP EACH OTHER, did you get that message. Yes we all know about the search function but sometimes like to ask those we exchange information with on a board we know and other posters we trust.

After searching other places on Crusie Critic I would still come back to one of my home boards for additional current information.
once again thanks for your ohhhhh so helpful post......

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Play nice. :) Both points are right: there are helpful people here, but there is already a lot more information available -- this is especially true because Amsterdam is an ocean port as well as a river cruise port.

When it comes to some ocean ports there is an overlap of information and I know I always search there first and then search on our River Board. I am sure that I am not alone in feeling most comfortable getting current info from regular posters on the River Board from members who I know are taking currently or recently returned from similar cruises.

What I don't need is a lecture from a member who who does not regularly post here to lecture about our tiny corner of Cruise Critic. This board is different, our cruises are different and we are a very tiny community in the giant universe of Cruising.

I've said my peace!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app Edited by nana541

Amsterdam has an abundance of squares all with several outdoor cafes of all sorts of cuisines available. The highlight for dh, was to go to the herring stand and have a fresh herring sandwich! Amsterdam is such a cozy and welcoming city! And it is casual too.

Thanks, everyone. The suggestions have been very helpful, and I am very appreciative!

Just some feedback from a new user on the debate about searching:
1) I didn't know that searching first was a guideline. I didn't see it posted anywhere upon adding the thread, but perhaps I overlooked it.
2) The Search Forum button is hard to find.
3) I find posting something the best way to get the most up to date information, as popular places may have changed.
4) In addition, there may be someone who will post to this thread who has not posted to another older thread, who has recently taken the trip.
5) And, under "River Cruise Ports," there didn't seem to be any thread titles that seemed relevant to this at my time of posting, but perhaps I didn't go far enough back or perhaps some titles were too vague with just "Amsterdam." If that's the case, my apologies.
I just wanted to share this feedback, so hopefully it's helpful going forward with the site.

Thanks again, everyone! I'm looking forward to my trip!

Because you are new.... There is a Port Section on Cruise Critic, totally separate from the River Cruise Port section. Amsterdam is one of those cities that would be listed for cruise ship Port of Calls and there is additional info over there. Using the search function (had you understood how it worked) would have also brought up additional current & great info. The search function really is your friend!

I also would have also started a current thread on the river port board.....

Enjoy your trip :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='Got2Cruise']Amsterdam has an abundance of squares all with several outdoor cafes of all sorts of cuisines available. The highlight for dh, was to go to the herring stand and have a fresh herring sandwich! Amsterdam is such a cozy and welcoming city! And it is casual too.[/QUOTE]

Are the herring sandwiches raw and what is on the sandwich with the herring? I like herring in the can, but the herring cart sounds interesting.
Marlster

[quote name='Marlster']Are the herring sandwiches raw and what is on the sandwich with the herring? I like herring in the can, but the herring cart sounds interesting.
Marlster[/quote]

Yes herring is raw. It often comes with unions on it.

[quote name='UKBayern']Please use the search functions. There are already hundreds of threads on this topic. Same with hotels in Amsterdam.[/quote]

I've used the search function many times and unless you are looking for something very specific, it's not very helpful ... just saying :D

[quote name='nana541']when it comes to some ocean ports there is an overlap of information and i know i always search there first and then search on our river board. I am sure that i am not alone in feeling most comfortable getting current info from regular posters on the river board from members who i know are taking currently or recently returned from similar cruises.

What i don't need is a lecture from a member who who does not regularly post here to lecture about our tiny corner of cruise critic. This board is different, our cruises are different and we are a very tiny community in the giant universe of cruising.[/quote]

amen!

We have tickets to the Concertgebouw and we're looking for a place to eat near there. I've heard you can eat right in the concert hall, but they don't have much info or menus. Can anyone help with this?

And yes - I've tried the search function :rolleyes: