Cell Phones In THe Bahamas

Evangaline

Wondering about using Canadian cell phones in the Bahamas. My service provider Virgin Mobile has reasonably priced talk + text packages for virtually every country in the world except Afghanistan and, for some reason, not the Bahamas either. I can cheaply call anywhere in the Caribbean, even Cuba with no problems. But am told I can not use my phone in The Bahamas at any price. Bell Mobility, a major provider in Canada, put the Bahamas in its Zone 4 after December 31, 2013. This category basically includes only war zones like Afghanistan. One can use the phone in places like Iraq cheaper-not that I would ever be doing that, but it would be cheaper. And at least it could be done.

So I wanted to know what is going on with this? The customer service people either don't know or won't say. Can anyone shed light on this?

Wondering about using Canadian cell phones in the Bahamas. My service provider Virgin Mobile has reasonably priced talk + text packages for virtually every country in the world except Afghanistan and, for some reason, not the Bahamas either. I can cheaply call anywhere in the Caribbean, even Cuba with no problems. But am told I can not use my phone in The Bahamas at any price. Bell Mobility, a major provider in Canada, put the Bahamas in its Zone 4 after December 31, 2013. This category basically includes only war zones like Afghanistan. One can use the phone in places like Iraq cheaper-not that I would ever be doing that, but it would be cheaper. And at least it could be done.

So I wanted to know what is going on with this? The customer service people either don't know or won't say. Can anyone shed light on this?

Only providers with contracts with the BTC are allowed access to their towers. Apparently your provider doesn't want to pay the price for the contract.

If you go the the http://www.btcbahamas.com website, you can find a list of service providers that have contracts for use in the bahamas.