• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Best ship for kids

krilyn430

We've cruised with Royal Caribbean but never Carnival and we want to take our 7 year old son on his first cruise. We are looking for something going to the Bahamas or Eastern Caribbean. Prefer to skip Mexico as we've done it a bunch of times already. Looking to go the week of Feb 9-16th. Prefer a 4-5 day but not ruling out a longer one either. Trying to keep it around the $1500 price range too.

I know nothing about Carnival or the ships and going with the kiddo has me over thinking everything.

We've cruised with Royal Caribbean but never Carnival and we want to take our 7 year old son on his first cruise. We are looking for something going to the Bahamas or Eastern Caribbean. Prefer to skip Mexico as we've done it a bunch of times already. Looking to go the week of Feb 9-16th. Prefer a 4-5 day but not ruling out a longer one either. Trying to keep it around the $1500 price range too.

I know nothing about Carnival or the ships and going with the kiddo has me over thinking everything.

You and your son would like this ship and it should be in your price range.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2090955

Any of the ships with the new waterworks (Dream class or on of the new 2.0 enhanched ships) If he is not one that likes to play in the water park, then Freedom comes to mind as they have the new Camp Ocean in place of Camp Carnival and they do Dr Suess at sea.

Any with the waterworks, but the Dream so far is the best for the kids.

Up top with miniature golf, they also have the ropes course plus a game area. Pool table, fooseball, giant chess & checkers and the hot dog cart. If it rains they have the 5D movie theatre (extra change but not much). The camp area is great also and they have the dr seuss things.

My boys are now 15 & 13 and still love the breeze!!!!

Up top with miniature golf, they also have the ropes course plus a game area. Pool table, fooseball, giant chess & checkers and the hot dog cart. If it rains they have the 5D movie theatre (extra change but not much). The camp area is great also and they have the dr seuss things.

we went on dream last year and 11 and 15 yr old loved it....... but dream does not have rope course.........

we went on dream last year and 11 and 15 yr old loved it....... but dream does not have rope course.........

Kids loved the Dream but it is out of NO now, we are going to take the kids on the Breeze next time out of Miami since they have the ropes course plus the extra food joints the kids would really like :)

If you're set with a 4-5 day cruise over you time frame of 2/9-16, your options would be the following.

2/9 5 days Fascination out of Jacksonville going to Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay. midship main deck 951.59 total for the 3 of you.

2/12 4 days Victory out of Miami going to Key West and Cozumel midship upper deck 1036.11.

2/8 4 days Sensation out of Orlando going to Nassau and Freeport midship main deck 883.10

2/8 6 days Breeze out of Miami going to Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios and Cozumel Supersaver Carnival picks your cabin @ 1323.71 or porthole cabin @ 1403.71 (1214..only 1 left) or midship upper deck for 1473.71.

All under your budget, the last two leave a day early on Sunday. The Breeze is the best bet out of this group. If you don't want to see Cozumel again, then stay on board and explore everything that the Breeze has to offer. If you're accustomed to RCI, then I would really suggest the Breeze. The other ships have the in your face neon style look, while the Breeze is caribbean cool.

Is there really a best ship for kids? The adults should consider what they want to include for their experience. Older kids might like the ropes course, but the child is 7, never been on a cruise. Myself, just having gotten back from the Bahamas, I recommend skipping that route. Nassau is a mess in my estimation due to the construction going on, and so many vendors trying to lure you in. If you decide on the Bahamas, I'd recommend booking something from the cruise ship.

Any ship really.

We are going on Splendor with 8 year old grand daughter on February 8th. She has sailed Liberty 2x, Glory and Victory, Had a ball on each one of them.

We are going to do a dolphin swim with cozumel insider that saved us 25%.

We are doing zipling and monkey farm in Roatan, Swimming with sting rays in Grand Cayman and visiting the ruins in Costa maya

I agree with the boss above-- Bahamas is over rated. Nothing to really do except maybe a beach day.

Edited by serene56

My son is younger at almost 4, but he is going on his 3rd cruise this January. I agree that any ship is a blast for children! Camp Carnival has great activities for the age groups and swimming, dancing to all of the music, just exploring the ship is all part of the fun for adults and kids!

I am sure that whatever ship you decide on based on itinerary and pricing will be a great family vacation!

Kim

If you're set with a 4-5 day cruise over you time frame of 2/9-16, your options would be the following.

2/9 5 days Fascination out of Jacksonville going to Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay. midship main deck 951.59 total for the 3 of you.

2/12 4 days Victory out of Miami going to Key West and Cozumel midship upper deck 1036.11.

2/8 4 days Sensation out of Orlando going to Nassau and Freeport midship main deck 883.10

2/8 6 days Breeze out of Miami going to Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios and Cozumel Supersaver Carnival picks your cabin @ 1323.71 or porthole cabin @ 1403.71 (1214..only 1 left) or midship upper deck for 1473.71.

All under your budget, the last two leave a day early on Sunday. The Breeze is the best bet out of this group. If you don't want to see Cozumel again, then stay on board and explore everything that the Breeze has to offer. If you're accustomed to RCI, then I would really suggest the Breeze. The other ships have the in your face neon style look, while the Breeze is caribbean cool.

I had to chuckle at option 1, Fascination. It's my favorite class of ship though I've not been on that particular one. I chuckled visualizing them going from Oasis to the smallest ship in the fleet. :eek: If it's like Sensation and Ecstasy, a great time can still happen and because of it's size, can be quite relaxing. I also like that you'll see the same people often.

The Dream does not have a ropes course, or the 5D theater.

Breeze has both.

Magic has ropes course.

Been on the Breeze twice, and there is SO much to do, kids cannot possibly be bored.

Let us know what you choose.:D:D:D

Take a look for yourself at the different ships from kids views just know some were a few years ago and may have been updated or shows changed.

Carnival dream 2009 part 1:

Carnival dream 2009 part 2:

Carnival Liberty 2012:

Carnival breeze 2013:

I do have to warn you, these are not your typical family movies but they will make you laugh and they show you how kids enjoy a ship