• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Emerald Princess - a few question

Laszlo

My wife and I have sailed NCL 5 times, however we are looking at the Ruby in October 2015 for its itinerary. Are kakis and a polo or button up long sleeve excepted at most of the restaurants? I really don't want to bring a suit and or jacket but I would if needed. Is their a mad dash to get a pass for the sanctuary? I'm assuming its similar to the Vibe on the Breakaway / Getaway.

Thanks

Edited by Laszlo

Are khakis and a polo or button up long sleeve accepted at most of the restaurants? I really don't want to bring a suit and or jacket but I would if needed. Is their a mad dash to get a pass for the sanctuary? I'm assuming its similar to the Vibe on the Breakaway / Getaway.

Thanks

Khakis are OK except on formal nights. You can go somewhere else (actually anywhere else) on formal nights if you don't want to bring a suit. My DH wears a nice pair of pants and a long sleeve turtle neck and has never had a problem.

If you want to book the sanctuary - run do not walk - first thing. Often (but not always), the Sanctuary is booked by the B2B folks. If there are any spaces left when you get on, you will need to be first in line. However, that is only if you want to book it for the whole cruise. For a day pass, you go to the Sanctuary first thing each AM.

Is their a mad dash to get a pass for the sanctuary? I'm assuming its similar to the Vibe on the Breakaway / Getaway.

I have no idea if the Vibe on NCL is free or with a charge, but be aware that the Princess Sanctuary costs $20/half day, $40/full day, or $30/full day if purchased for the entire cruise.

My wife and I have sailed NCL 5 times, however we are looking at the Ruby in October 2015 for its itinerary. Are kakis and a polo or button up long sleeve excepted at most of the restaurants?

Thanks

Your title says Emerald, and text above states Ruby. No Matter they are sister ships.

Daytime dining is always casual, shorts and a "T" are fine.

Evening dress:

MDR's, Most nights are smart casual defined as, Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies, Pants and open-neck shirts for men, no shorts. On a 7 day cruise 2 nights will be formal which is defined as "evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women" and "tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men." The fact is that you will not see a large percentage of passengers in formal dress as defined. Most women are dressed very nicely, but not in gowns. Most men wear a suit, or sport coat with a shirt and tie. You will see some men in just shirt and tie, some in jacket, no tie and a few just a collared shirt. Some short cruises, 3, 4 & 5 day, do not have formal nights.

There are two surcharge restaurants, the Crown Grill and Sabatini's. These are smart casual every night.

All other dining areas are casual all the time including the Crab Shack, a surcharge dining meal, held some evenings in the Cafe Caribe.

Edited by sknight

My wife and I have sailed NCL 5 times, however we are looking at the Ruby in October 2015 for its itinerary. Are kakis and a polo or button up long sleeve excepted at most of the restaurants? I really don't want to bring a suit and or jacket but I would if needed. Is their a mad dash to get a pass for the sanctuary? I'm assuming its similar to the Vibe on the Breakaway / Getaway.

Thanks

While most guys will wear a jacket in the dining room on Princess, it's more of a suggestion than a hard and fast rule. You can get by with any dress pants & a long sleeve dress shirt (and sometimes a short sleeve Polo) in the DR on formal nights. Many people will steer you towards the buffet and that's OK provided you don't want the better selections which they don't serve in the Horizon.

We don't sit in the sanctuary since we've never felt the need but some people rush to get the select locations.