Jump to content

Nordic Prince


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Catnip said:

What year did you start cruising?  My first cruise was in 11/81 on one of the old Princess ships, maybe the Sky Princess?  Can't really remember.   But my 1st RCCL cruise was in either '82-83 on SoN.  I was hooked after that.

 

First cruise was on Rotterdam V in July, 1970.  An 11 day Caribbean itinerary from New York when our first port was Bermuda during a rainy day.  The ship had to anchor in the Great Sound and use the Bermuda provided tender to get to Hamilton.  Very little cover and my first shore excursion found me very wet!  (But, it was a "warm rain". 😄   My traveling companion and I quickly dried.)

 

18 hours ago, Catnip said:

I was never on the ones that had the outside staircase to the VCL.

 

My memory of the Viking Crown Lounge on Nordic Prince was there was an outside staircase in order to get to the Lounge.  If there was an elevator, I was unaware.  I remember the Lounge being very warm; uncomfortably enough that we only made one visit.  Great place for sightseeing, though!

 

I have good memories of the Nordic Prince.  A couple who were tablemates became friends and we did a shore trip with them and kept in touch with them for many, many years.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

😄

 

 

My memory of the Viking Crown Lounge on Nordic Prince was there was an outside staircase in order to get to the Lounge.  If there was an elevator, I was unaware.  I remember the Lounge being very warm; uncomfortably enough that we only made one visit.  Great place for sightseeing, though!

I don't remember the outside stairs on NP.   Now I'm racking my brain thinking about it.  Maybe there was an outside staircase as well as inside stairs?  Or maybe I don't remember right. 
Was NP older/newer than SoN?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Catnip said:

I don't remember the outside stairs on NP.   Now I'm racking my brain thinking about it.  Maybe there was an outside staircase as well as inside stairs?  Or maybe I don't remember right. 
Was NP older/newer than SoN?

When I was working on the Nordic Prince, the only way up to the Viking Crown lounge was via the outside steps.  Spent many hours helping passengers into the lounge.   Always had a great time with that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, springfire said:

When I was working on the Nordic Prince, the only way up to the Viking Crown lounge was via the outside steps.  Spent many hours helping passengers into the lounge.   Always had a great time with that.

I have no memory of that outside staircase!  😂   I know I was up there, though! 
I met a waiter in the MDR on our Bermuda cruise in '85 and we kept in touch.  He was from Paris and I ended up flying over to see him on his vacation home in Sept and spent 10 days!  It was marvelous.  Ooh, la la!   😄    Then he came and visited with me for a few days on his way back to the ship.  Sad to say, we lost touch after that.  But that was the happiest cruise memory!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Catnip said:

Was NP older/newer than SoN?

 

If I correctly remember the sequence of those new builds for Royal Caribbean, it was Song of Norway first, then Nordic Prince, followed by Sun Viking.  Song of Norway and Nordic Prince got "stretched", but Sun Viking was not.  Her 14 day itinerary appealed to me for as long as it was available.  Just could not afford the $$ nor the time then.  

 

Song of America was an evolution of the design of the previous three ships.  And, I think, was quite successful.  President and Mrs. Carter had something to do with the ship.  Maybe, when she was named?  I am fairly sure that they were guests on one cruise.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, springfire said:

When I was working on the Nordic Prince, the only way up to the Viking Crown lounge was via the outside steps

 

My memory has not yet failed!  😄  At least in some areas.  

 

Do you recall anything about the temperature in the Viking Crown Lounge?  My traveling companion and I thought because the lounge was wrapped around the funnel there was insufficient insulation to keep the lounge from being too warm.  At least, during our Caribbean cruise. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

My memory has not yet failed!  😄  At least in some areas.  

 

Do you recall anything about the temperature in the Viking Crown Lounge?  My traveling companion and I thought because the lounge was wrapped around the funnel there was insufficient insulation to keep the lounge from being too warm.  At least, during our Caribbean cruise.   

The Viking Crown Lounge on the Nordic Prince was more like a half a circle back than.  Like you said, the lounge could get very warm sometimes,  particularly when things got busy.   The narrow stairs always made for an adventure for those going up and down with drinks.  The Nordic Prince seemed so big back in the day but even after she lengthened, she was so small compared to ships of today.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Catnip said:

I have no memory of that outside staircase!  😂   I know I was up there, though! 
I met a waiter in the MDR on our Bermuda cruise in '85 and we kept in touch.  He was from Paris and I ended up flying over to see him on his vacation home in Sept and spent 10 days!  It was marvelous.  Ooh, la la!   😄    Then he came and visited with me for a few days on his way back to the ship.  Sad to say, we lost touch after that.  But that was the happiest cruise memory!

 

What a beautiful memory!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

If I correctly remember the sequence of those new builds for Royal Caribbean, it was Song of Norway first, then Nordic Prince, followed by Sun Viking.  Song of Norway and Nordic Prince got "stretched", but Sun Viking was not.  Her 14 day itinerary appealed to me for as long as it was available.  Just could not afford the $$ nor the time then.  

 

Song of America was an evolution of the design of the previous three ships.  And, I think, was quite successful.  President and Mrs. Carter had something to do with the ship.  Maybe, when she was named?  I am fairly sure that they were guests on one cruise.  

Your memory is quite good.   I believe the Carters did help launch the  Sovereign of the Seas.

I think that  Rosalyn Carter is also the ships godmother. I don't remember the Carters with Nordic Prince but that doesn't mean it didn't happen 🤔

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't remember the temp of the VCL.  Was that back when they used to have evening games & activities up there?
What ship was the first to have a "complete circle" for the VCL?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Catnip said:

What ship was the first to have a "complete circle" for the VCL?

 

I believe it was Song of America.  I know someone will correct me if I am wrong.  I do know the Sovereign class ships also had the complete circle but I still believe the first was Song of America. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved SoA!    At first SoN was my favorite ship, but I think SoA was.  But SoN will always have a special place in my heart, as it was the 1st RCCL ship I sailed on, probably back in "82-83. 

And later on, I loved Splendour of the Seas.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Catnip said:

What ship was the first to have a "complete circle" for the VCL?

 

17 hours ago, springfire said:

I believe it was Song of America

 

I agree.  I am sure it was Song of America.  She was the bridge between the design of the first 3 RCCL ships and the Sovereign Class ships.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, springfire said:

Your memory is quite good.   I believe the Carters did help launch the  Sovereign of the Seas.

I think that  Rosalyn Carter is also the ships godmother. I don't remember the Carters with Nordic Prince but that doesn't mean it didn't happen 🤔

 

 

You are correct.  Mrs. Carter was the Godmother of Sovereign of the Seas.  I don't associate her with Nordic Prince at all.  

 

But, I am fairly certain that the former President and she sailed as guests on a Royal Caribbean cruise.  I remember it was Song of America.  But, I have been unable to confirm my memory.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 6/10/2021 at 8:07 PM, Catnip said:

I have no memory of that outside staircase!  😂   I know I was up there, though! 
I met a waiter in the MDR on our Bermuda cruise in '85 and we kept in touch.  He was from Paris and I ended up flying over to see him on his vacation home in Sept and spent 10 days!  It was marvelous.  Ooh, la la!   😄    Then he came and visited with me for a few days on his way back to the ship.  Sad to say, we lost touch after that.  But that was the happiest cruise memory!

 

I managed to find a photo of the *Exterior Staircase* that would lead to the Viking Lounge. This is the one for the Song Of Norway

staircase.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I managed to find a photo of the *Exterior Staircase* that would lead to the Viking Lounge. This is the one for the Song Of Norway

staircase.jpg

 

That's it!  The Nordic Prince's was the same.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2021 at 9:13 AM, norboy76 said:

I managed to find a photo of the *Exterior Staircase* that would lead to the Viking Lounge. This is the one for the Song Of Norway

staircase.jpg

Awesome photo!!!!!!!!    I remember seeing this staircase in photo's of the ship, but for some reason, I simply cannot remember it.  I know I was up there, though.  On both SON and NP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Catnip said:

Awesome photo!!!!!!!!    I remember seeing this staircase in photo's of the ship, but for some reason, I simply cannot remember it.  I know I was up there, though.  On both SON and NP.

 

Perhaps you can refresh my memory.  The staircase appears to goes to a landing under the Lounge and not directly into the Lounge.  Do you think I am correct?  If so, how then did we get into the Lounge itself?  Another set of stairs?  An elevator?  Both available?  

 

A reason that my memory is vague is because I was only in the Lounge once.  It was just too darn hot for a return visit.  I thought the reason it was so hot was because of all of the windows as well as the proximity of the exhaust pipes in the funnel.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

Perhaps you can refresh my memory.  The staircase appears to goes to a landing under the Lounge and not directly into the Lounge.  Do you think I am correct?  If so, how then did we get into the Lounge itself?  Another set of stairs?  An elevator?  Both available?  

 

A reason that my memory is vague is because I was only in the Lounge once.  It was just too darn hot for a return visit.  I thought the reason it was so hot was because of all of the windows as well as the proximity of the exhaust pipes in the funnel.  

I wish I could help you, but I can't remember myself!  LOL!    I know I was up there on my 3-4 SON cruises, but I don't remember getting there by the outside stairs.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Catnip said:

I wish I could help you, but I can't remember myself!  LOL!    I know I was up there on my 3-4 SON cruises, but I don't remember getting there by the outside stairs.

 

 

Thank you for trying to remember.  Memories are funny things.  There are some cruises that I can recall some of the smallest details and others, my memory is not very clear at all.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 12:06 AM, Catnip said:

I wish I could help you, but I can't remember myself!  LOL!    I know I was up there on my 3-4 SON cruises, but I don't remember getting there by the outside stairs.

 

I got the idea of posting a question about how did we get into the Viking Crown Lounge on the Royal Caribbean Message Board.  It's a long shot, but I thought someone who might have sailed on Nordic Prince, Sun Viking, and/or Song of Norway might have better memories than we have.  I'll let you know if I get any "bites".  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 12:06 AM, Catnip said:

I wish I could help you, but I can't remember myself!  LOL!    I know I was up there on my 3-4 SON cruises, but I don't remember getting there by the outside stairs.

 

 

On 7/25/2021 at 4:05 PM, rkacruiser said:

I'll let you know if I get any "bites".  

 

My post on the RCCL Message Board did attract several posters who shared their memories.  Agreement, 100%, that the only way to get into the Viking Crown Lounge was by those outside stairs.  The consensus was that those stairs led to a landing where there were a few more steps to get into the lounge at the forward end of the Lounge.  From the photos, that does seem reasonable.

 

I am surprised that my post generated the response that it did.  As I said, it was a "shot in the dark" attempt to get some information.  And, it worked!   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 7:12 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

 

My post on the RCCL Message Board did attract several posters who shared their memories.  Agreement, 100%, that the only way to get into the Viking Crown Lounge was by those outside stairs.  The consensus was that those stairs led to a landing where there were a few more steps to get into the lounge at the forward end of the Lounge.  From the photos, that does seem reasonable.

 

I am surprised that my post generated the response that it did.  As I said, it was a "shot in the dark" attempt to get some information.  And, it worked!   

Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found a few items in a box the other day. 
My mom on our Bermuda cruise on the NP
Old luggage tags from SoN and SoA
playing cards

shampoo/lotion set
me, enjoying a nice breeze on the upper deck. Not sure which RCCL ship, though  😁

IMG_E6057.JPG

IMG_E6056.JPG

IMG_E6007.JPG

IMG_E6002.JPG

IMG_E5268.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Catnip said:

shampoo/lotion set

 

I also usually take these little bottles of shampoo, etc.  That's becoming increasingly difficult to do because these small bottles are being replaced by larger dispensers of shampoo, etc.  When there are the small bar soaps available, I take those as well.  For years, I have used these at my kitchen sink; just perfect for washing hands.  Now, though, my supply is starting to run low.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...