Magic Review - So-So This Time

My daughter (age 5) and I cruised on the Fantasy in 2012 and really liked it. So I decided to try the reimagined Magic this time around. I have to admit this review may be colored by the fact I caught someone's crud a couple of days into the cruise and spent two days in bed feeling miserable.

The Good:

Sideways Cabin 6507 - soooo quiet that I slept like a baby every night. Daughter slept on the sofa bed and said it was comfortable. Everything updated except the bathroom (will discuss in the "Ugly" category). This is a great cabin and I would recommend it.

Fellow passenger - what a great group of people. Didn't see any rude or pushy people at all. Lots of people from New Jersey. Table mates were the best. Really nice group of people.

Kid's Club - daughter really enjoyed all activities (I still prefer Princess over Disney in this category, though).

Overall condition of ship - well-maintained and a good flow.

Dining waitstaff - wonderful!

The Bad

Food - not a fan of Disney food - especially in Cabanas - some truly inedible. Dining room food slightly less bad. (Princess really outshines Disney here)

In-room entertainment. Replaying same movies over and over. (Remember I was in room for two days) Fantasy has much better selection - Magic not so much.

The Ugly

Cabin bathroom - YUCK - moldy, chipping, smelly. When Disney re-did the rooms, it should have redone the bathrooms. Gross.

The MEH

Customer service - not bad but not great (except for dining wait staff). Lot of staff seemed somewhat disinterested. Not up to Disney standards.

I had an issue onboard (involving Disney damaging one of my shoes). At first it wasn't handled well until I insisted it be dealt with. Ultimately, after some assertive words on my part, it was handled satisfactorily. Just not up to Disney standards.

Overall - despite the two days of sinus pressure and infection, I and my daughter had a good time on the Magic. I really liked the ship and it layout. But for the premium Disney charges, it just wasn't up to snuff. I would consider cruising Disney again if and only if it was discounted to be comparable to other cruise line fares (e.g. Princess, etc.).

Edited by CI66774

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Interesting, as most feel the smaller ships have better service. I don't want to put words in your mouth. Are you saying you felt the service was better on the Fantasy than the Magic?

How long (nights) was this sailing?

We like new and big and also read many bathroom reports from the Magic. :eek:

We decided after drydock that we will stick with the Fantasy for several reasons. We thought the baths would be redone too.

Sorry it wasn't all you expected. May your next sailing be exceptional. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Interesting, as most feel the smaller ships have better service. I don't want to put words in your mouth. Are you saying you felt the service was better on the Fantasy than the Magic?

How long (nights) was this sailing?

We like new and big and also read many bathroom reports from the Magic. :eek:

We decided after drydock that we will stick with the Fantasy for several reasons. We thought the baths would be redone too.

Sorry it wasn't all you expected. May your next sailing be exceptional. :)

I felt the service was better on the Fantasy. Also, I took two Princess cruises in the interim (on the Royal Princess), so maybe my expectations were heightened due to the fantastic service I received on that ship. Crew members (except for the wait staff) seemed tired and lackadaisical. The room steward did a mediocre job at best. Disney didn't recognize that this was my second cruise (despite the fact I had evidence reflecting my status). They had to check with headquarters and I had to press them for the bag and lanyard. It just felt off this time. Nothing bad - but not worth the premium I paid this time. Again, maybe my enthusiasm was dampened by my sinus problems. DD and I still had a good time, though.:)

I have to ask... What happened to your shoe?

Coming back onboard from Castaway Cay, I had two pairs of shoes (flip flops and new water shoes purchased for the jet ski excursion). The water shoes were wet so I put on my flip flops and tried to put the water shoes in the bucket to go in the x-ray machine. The staff member just placed them on the conveyor and both went in but only one came out. I insisted the machine ate the shoe but the staff dismissed it and told me I lost it or someone else took it. Later they found the rollers on the belt had, indeed, eaten it and returned it to me damaged. I had to raise my voice, etc., for Disney to reimburse me for it. It was not pleasant and not (initially) good customer service. Eventually, Disney did credit my account for the cost of the shoes and send a present to my cabin for my DD. However, I spent almost an hour dealing with the issue and missed critical sunbathing time. :) I just felt the service was off this cruise. Not bad - just off.

Coming back onboard from Castaway Cay, I had two pairs of shoes (flip flops and new water shoes purchased for the jet ski excursion). The water shoes were wet so I put on my flip flops and tried to put the water shoes in the bucket to go in the x-ray machine. The staff member just placed them on the conveyor and both went in but only one came out. I insisted the machine ate the shoe but the staff dismissed it and told me I lost it or someone else took it. Later they found the rollers on the belt had, indeed, eaten it and returned it to me damaged. I had to raise my voice, etc., for Disney to reimburse me for it. It was not pleasant and not (initially) good customer service. Eventually, Disney did credit my account for the cost of the shoes and send a present to my cabin for my DD. However, I spent almost an hour dealing with the issue and missed critical sunbathing time. :) I just felt the service was off this cruise. Not bad - just off.

I think I would have pressed the issue then and there and nicely demanded that they open the machine to find the shoe that it had eaten. You obviously placed a PAIR of shoes in the bucket, and one of the security people took them out of the bucket and put them on the belt.

I think I would have pressed the issue then and there and nicely demanded that they open the machine to find the shoe that it had eaten. You obviously placed a PAIR of shoes in the bucket, and one of the security people took them out of the bucket and put them on the belt.

I did demand it. They did a cursory search of the inside and looked at the rollers but it wasn't there. I believe it had been taken under the belt somehow and mangled. There was a huge line to get back on the ship and I didn't want all of those people to wait for them to completely dismantle the machine. This was getting close to the all onboard time. Once the stream of people slowed, that's when they did a thorough search and found it.

I did demand it. They did a cursory search of the inside and looked at the rollers but it wasn't there. I believe it had been taken under the belt somehow and mangled. There was a huge line to get back on the ship and I didn't want all of those people to wait for them to completely dismantle the machine. This was getting close to the all onboard time. Once the stream of people slowed, that's when they did a thorough search and found it.

I will make sure they don't eat my shoes next time when I come back onboard. :)

Yeah, .... sounds like you need a redo. :)

A lot of little things stacked up get to me too unfortunately. I'm confident I would have felt the same.

We love the Fantasy. :D

How many nights was this Magic sailing?

I have a suspicion it wasn't 7 nights is why I ask.

The seven night or more sailings are sooo much more relaxed, crew and pax, IMO.

TIA

Yeah, .... sounds like you need a redo. :)

A lot of little things stacked up get to me too unfortunately. I'm confident I would have felt the same.

We love the Fantasy. :D

How many nights was this Magic sailing?

I have a suspicion it wasn't 7 nights is why I ask.

The seven night or more sailings are sooo much more relaxed, crew and pax, IMO.

TIA

It was a seven-nighter. It just seemed off. Now, I got a little sinus infection/cold while onboard and that may have colored some of my reactions. I had a great time on the Fantasy, though.

We found our child preferred the Princess kids club also. We really enjoyed our Fantasy cruise. We are hoping the smaller size of the ship and the itinerary (Norway) trumps the shortcomings of the ship. Thanks for the review.