Should the M.S. Konningsdam have a signature melodic horn?

rkacruiser

Topsham..... anyone?

Does anyone know if Disney actually has a sensible horn for use in fog and signal to other ships etc? Can they turn off their ridiculous tunes and sound a 'real' horn? I've wondered about that every time I've heard that silliness.

Edited by sail7seas

Topsham..... anyone?

Does anyone know if Disney actually has a sensible horn for use in fog and signal to other ships etc? Can they turn off their ridiculous tunes and sound a 'real' horn? I've wondered about that every time I've heard that silliness.

One would think that would be manadatory equipment.

The ship has to be able to make a distress call.

When I sailed on a Windjammer, they would play a recording of Amazing Grace every time we set sail from a port. I liken that to Disney's horn, playing a Disney theme as it bids farewell.

Edited by Oceanwench

Topsham..... anyone?

Yes, just like Princess, Disney has a regular horn.

Disney does, indeed have a regular horn. It is sounded at the muster drill.

I like Disney's horn, but the melodies are a part of the Disney experience and something we expect as part of the overall cruise atmosphere when sailing DCL. I also appreciate the traditional and lovely ship's horn of the other lines, and would not like to hear current pop music bleating out.

At the suggestion of another poster, I am starting this thread.

Royal Princess and Regal Princess both have horns that can play a signature melodic tune: the opening notes of the Love Boat Theme. Lovely to hear and very nostalgic for those of us who were/are Love Boat TV fans!

Why not have HAL's newbuild also have a signature melodic tune that could be played on the ship's horn?

Suggestions have been made of Christoper Croft's "Sailaway" and Enya's "Sail Away (Orinoco Flow)".

Since the ship's name is a reference to the new King of the Netherlands, perhaps the opening notes of the National Anthem of the Netherlands?

What do you think?

Love Boat Theme. ;)

Instead of music, I believe one of the classic steam whistles from the original NIEUW AMSTERDAM of 1938 is floating around somewhere.

It was offered to HAL for the current NA, but apparently they balked for some reason, maybe cost?

Could be set up to run on compressed air like the steam tyfon horns on QUEEN MARY 2.