• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Caribe Deck Balcony or Mini Suite Side/Aft Balcony

Jarronwood

Hi everyone

Still waiting for the 2016 summer med to come out and I daily peruse this forum for hints, tips etc. Having decided to go for a mini suite one of those on the very back/side before the aft (the balconies are slighter large sideways) I have read about those rooms with balconies on the Caribe deck. It seems these balconies are larger than the normal ones and are partially covered. I know that the mini suites are larger (longer) to accommodate a bath tub and a small sitting area but is there anyone who would prefer a balcony on the Caribe deck rather than one of the side aft mini suites?

The question then arises whether to go for a mini suite covered or uncovered.

What joy it is to plan and I am hoping that when the med summer 2016 goes on sale (14 nights) that I am able to grab the cabin of my choice.

I always prefer a mini suite over a standard balcony when I can book one for a fare I like. The standard balconies on Caribe deck actually have a balcony that is slightly larger than the mini suite balconies, but the size difference is negligible. Either balcony can seat four comfortably. However, the interior of the mini is significantly larger than a standard balcony. You get a sitting area with a full size sofa and a larger bathroom with a tub. Especially for a longer cruise, I enjoy the extra interior space of a mini.

The minis on Emerald deck have fully covered balconies which I prefer. I like the shade, the privacy and the protection from the elements. Others prefer the uncovered minis on Dolphin deck because you get more sun. That is a personal preference.

I always prefer a mini suite over a standard balcony when I can book one for a fare I like. The standard balconies on Caribe deck actually have a balcony that is slightly larger than the mini suite balconies, but the size difference is negligible. Either balcony can seat four comfortably. However, the interior of the mini is significantly larger than a standard balcony. You get a sitting area with a full size sofa and a larger bathroom with a tub. Especially for a longer cruise, I enjoy the extra interior space of a mini.

The minis on Emerald deck have fully covered balconies which I prefer. I like the shade, the privacy and the protection from the elements. Others prefer the uncovered minis on Dolphin deck because you get more sun. That is a personal preference.

Thank you for this. We will probably go for the shaded mini suite side aft balcony (if we can get it) since it will end June/July when we go and I know the sun can be pretty hot in the Med that time of year. Its a shame that they cannot provide you with a stand umbrella on those mini suite uncovered balconies - that way you would get the best of both worlds.

I definitely prefer the mini suites on emerald deck (covered) versus the caribe cabins as long as the price difference isn't exorbitant. ;)

Also, when you have a caribe balcony you will overlook deck nine's balcony since their balcony has no overhead protection whatsoever. Caribe balcony does not have a straight drop view to the water. it's kind of like a tiered wedding cake, if you will.

If you end up booking an Emerald deck mini, I would advise that you avoid the last 2-3 cabins aft on the portside. Those cabins are directly over the lounge stage below and there have been some reports of noise issues with those cabins. I have stayed in the starboard side minis and the more forward portside minis (nearer the elevators) and never experienced any noise issues. I could not hear the lounge below at all.

We just got back from a 10-day Mexico cruise out of SF and originally booked a mid-ship Caribe cabin with the extended balcony. We'd cruised in one before and since my husband cannot handle too much sun exposure it was the right decision. But then a month or so later I saw that the mini-suite on Emerald (729) on the Starboard side was available for only a couple hundred dollars extra so we upgraded and booked it.

Yes, the balcony is wider and it is much more private than any other mini on Emerald and more private than any extended on Caribe deck due to it only having one "party wall." The wake of the ship is in full view, as well, and we found that very nice.

Yet, having a balcony that technically is fully covered (and it is) you still get full sun exposure depending on sun rise or sunset if your ship is heading north or south. We found we weren't able to use to balcony on some days in the afternoon because it was just too darn hot with the sun (not over head) getting lower toward early sunset.

But, the same problem would be there for the Caribe covered balcony so I am still glad we booked the Emerald deck mini-suite because of the extra space (sitting area), the additional tv (not having to watch tv in bed) the more roomy bathroom with tub (no shower curtain wrapping around your body, and more storage space. It was a good decision, IMHO.