Legit upgrade or bust?

SapphireHoneymoon

My second cruise ever with Princess and "Upgrade Fairy" paid us a visit.

We were booked on a guaranteed balcony on deck 8 in the front of the ship. Just received an email that we've been "upgraded" to Aloha Deck, mid aft. I have 48 hours and counting to decline it.

Pros: We moved from the front to the mid aft and no longer possibly above the Princess Theater.

Cons: We moved to right below the Horizon Court and higher up on the ship so we may feel more of the sway.

My question is, keep it or decline it?

Sent using the Cruis

We were booked on a guaranteed balcony on deck 8 in the front of the ship. Just received an email that we've been "upgraded" to Aloha Deck, mid aft. I have 48 hours and counting to decline it.

Pros: We moved from the front to the mid aft and no longer possibly above the Princess Theater.

Cons: We moved to right below the Horizon Court and higher up on the ship so we may feel more of the sway.

Sent using the Cruis

I would take the upgrade. Midship is more comfortable than foreward.

I don't believe there's any "declining" when you book a guarantee and are assigned a cabin in the category you booked or better. If you want better than that, I believe they can either charge you an 'upcharge' for the better category, (if you're lucky), or you can cancel, pay the requisite fees, and book whatever you want. :cool:

BTW, I'm in the same boat right now. Waiting with baited (;)) breath for our BF assignment.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the sway. But that's just me. However I would be concerned about being under the Horizon Court. You will definitely hear tables and chairs being moved about. Probably not an issue during the day but certainly would be concerning in the morning if you are not an early riser.

I'd take it. If you are on one of the ships where the Promenade deck goes up to deck 8 at the bow (such as Star Princess) you likely originally booked one of the balcony rooms that looks right out onto the Promenade. I'd take the Aloha balcony.

We had an Aloha balcony on Star Princes that was right under the pool area on Lido deck. We had almost no "chair scraping" issues. We enjoyed the cabin a lot and weren't bothered by noise from above.

I think the OP confused the question by mentioning they booked a "guarantee balcony on deck 8 in the front of the ship." If it's a guarantee, it could be anywhere on the ship. People who book guarantees don't know what deck they'll be on or if they'll be at the front of the ship or middle or aft. The OP must have booked a specific cabin or else booked a guarantee and were already assigned to the deck 8 cabin.

In any case, if you're offered an upgrade, you can also look to see what other cabins are available in the new category and ask for one of them.

We always book a balcony near the aft stairwell on Aloha and have never heard any noise from the Horizon Court or the elevators, and, no, we are not deaf. :p

It is our favorite place to be because it is easy to run up and get hot water from the Horizon Court, and fast to shoot down to the Vista fro whatever. It seems like we do a lot in the Vista.

Note the exact category. Then do a fake booking to see what else is available in the same category. If you see something you would prefer just call and asked to be moved to that cabin. I've done that a few occasions when I've booked GTY cabins.

I think the OP confused the question by mentioning they booked a "guarantee balcony on deck 8 in the front of the ship." If it's a guarantee, it could be anywhere on the ship. People who book guarantees don't know what deck they'll be on or if they'll be at the front of the ship or middle or aft. The OP must have booked a specific cabin or else booked a guarantee and were already assigned to the deck 8 cabin.

In any case, if you're offered an upgrade, you can also look to see what other cabins are available in the new category and ask for one of them.

This, actually, isn't true. You can book a guarantee for sections of the ship. The website shows the following sections and, each one of them, you can choose a guarantee: aft, mid-aft, midship, forward. In addition, you can choose the deck.

Having said that, there's no telling where anyone booking those guarantees would end up.

I'd take it. If you are on one of the ships where the Promenade deck goes up to deck 8 at the bow (such as Star Princess) you likely originally booked one of the balcony rooms that looks right out onto the Promenade. I'd take the Aloha balcony.
We're booked for the Golden Princess. Does that mean the forward balconies are not covered? Are the balconies on Aloha deck covered? I assume not?

This, actually, isn't true. You can book a guarantee for sections of the ship. The website shows the following sections and, each one of them, you can choose a guarantee: aft, mid-aft, midship, forward. In addition, you can choose the deck.

Having said that, there's no telling where anyone booking those guarantees would end up.

Thank you. I get it that this is only my second cruise but I can read and I know what I booked.

Sent using the Cruis

Yes, it is true. If you choose a guarantee, even if you got to that point by picking a specific deck and section, then you are no longer booking for just that deck and section. As you say, there's no telling where you'll end up.

On my Cruise Personalizer, the booking summary comes up as "Status: Guaranteed" and "Category: BF (Balcony)" and not specifically forward balcony cabin, although that is where all of the Cat. BF cabins are on the CB. In other words, you are not booking a guarantee for a specific section and deck. Princess can put you in any cabin that is that category or higher.

That's why it is important to pick a specific cabin (and mark your reservation "no upgrade") if you want to be in a certain location on the ship. You can't leave it to the whims of the Upgrade Fairy. By the time you receive your cabin assignment, it may be too late to change.

Again, there is zero privacy on the forward balconies on Emerald -- all the people traveling up and down the stairs from Promenade to Emerald look onto those balconies.

The balconies on Aloha are covered.

I just saw pictures of this and almost smacked myself for my original booking. Taking this upgrade and running with it. Hoping for a quiet Horizon Court.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We're booked for the Golden Princess. Does that mean the forward balconies are not covered? Are the balconies on Aloha deck covered? I assume not?

Thank you. I get it that this is only my second cruise but I can read and I know what I booked.

Sent using the Cruis

I wasn't explaining this to you.

I'm looking at pictures of the Star and I'm confused how the forward Deck 8 balconies work in relationship to the stairs from Deck 7 to Deck 8. Do the stairs go directly in front of the balconies? It looks like the balconies a very set back. Can you look down to the water or are you looking down on the Promenade Deck?

Thanks,

Edited by msmoger

DON'T DO IT!!!!! You will be sorry! That is not an upgrade! You will be directly under the Lido deck where you will hear people walking above, chairs being scraped on the floor, Movies Under the Stars. We made the mistake only once and never again!

DON'T DO IT!!!!! You will be sorry! That is not an upgrade! You will be directly under the Lido deck where you will hear people walking above, chairs being scraped on the floor, Movies Under the Stars. We made the mistake only once and never again!

When we sailed to Hawaii we also booked the lowest category and cheapest balcony gty. we could find which was the farthest forward on Dolphin. The ones where the Promenade steps up to Dolphin at the bow. We were upgraded to A408 which is under part of the Lido Deck pool area. We had almost zero issue with the dreaded chair scraping I have read so much about here on CC. We loved the cabin and it was quite a bonus for us as well as our handicapped son had booked a room on Aloha deck. We ended up fairly close to his room which made the logistics of assisting him much simpler than the original cabin placement would have done.

It seems the chair scraping issue is more important to some than to others and likely is a bigger issue on some sailings than on others as some people have reported horrible experiences and others (like us) have had no problems at all. Given our previous experience I wouldn't hesitate an instant in accepting the upgrade.