Your Favorite "Special Request" Items in the MDR

MalibuCA

I have read repeatedly on this board that, with 24 hours notice, we can request "special" items in the MDR that are not on that night's menu. Being a first-timer to Seabourn, I wanted to learn more about this. My husband and I are very experienced Crystal cruisers, and we are always able to see the next night's menu if we visit the Maitre d' before leaving the restaurant. Then, if there's something we wish to have "special" the next night, we make our request to the Maitre d' or Head Waiter. Is that how it works on Seabourn, too? Please explain the procedure, and most importantly, please, please, please share with me your favorite items that you have sampled by "special request." So excited for our first Seabourn cruise! We are flying to Singapore on Tuesday and boarding the Odyssey on November 23! Almost time!

Thanks,

Shelley

The real question to ask is "what does your heart desire?" Chances are, they can make it happen - or at least try admirably.

My favorite "special request" in the MDR is to put together my own hosted table. Very fun way to enjoy a special dinner with friends we've made onboard. The staff will help with invitations and other arrangements. With this round being Indonesia (same sailing as you) I may see if a rijsttafel is possible to stay destination-appropriate!

I haven't had anything I've wanted onboard that has required a long advance otherwise... but I may be easy as there are a lot of standard menu items I love that I simply watch for. I have been known to do appetizers at the Patio Grill on Lobster Mac & Cheese night and then hit the MDR for a soufflé for dessert.

No need to ask the Maître d' for the next nights menu on Seabourn. The next nights menu is always placed on your bed as part of the "Turndown Service"( along with chocolates and other special goodies).

As for special requests, usually 24 hours notice is all that's required

Enjoy your cruise, you will love it.

We have had Steak tartar,Steak Diane,Dover Sole,Souffle,.

They will make it if they can.

;)

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it here, but there is now a "souffle of the night", a different one every evening, on the Odyssey.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it here, but there is now a "souffle of the night", a different one every evening, on the Odyssey.

as on the Sojourn, now that you mention it. and you can ask for an alternative sauce than the one on offer.

Risotto - risotto is only good when it's made to order.

It must be cooked in one continuous stretch of time, not partially cooked and then "finished" for the MDR or a restaurant.

Depending on time of year or special location, request a truffle risotto!

After one of these on Seabourn, you'll never sail any other cruise line.

In fact, my heart's beating fast just thinking of it.:D

I guess I am just not that picky. The menu is varied in all the venues (though this summer there seemed to be a lot of steak dishes) and I never felt compelled to request an off the menu special item. I have however read through the menu offerings that evening and maybe substituted one side for another or had an entree item served up in a smaller portion as an appetizer.

We both love shrimp and veg. tempura, which is not usually on the dinner menu, so ask for it one evening for the following evening - usually having popped back to the suite after dinner to see the next night's menu, in case it is an extra special one. I also request escargots once, though they are always on once per cruise in the MDR. I love to have them another evening also.

WOW! All of your suggestions sound amazing! My husband would die for the truffle risotto! Looks like the food on the Odyssey will be a culinary delight! We leave tomorrow for Singapore, and I can't wait! Looking forward to making new friends on Seabourn and sampling all of the culinary treats!

Thanks,

Shelley

Note to self... pack loose fitting clothing. Looking forward to being on Odyssey in less than a week. The soufflés have always been one of my favorites so now I have another thing to look forward to nightly!

When we were on our Amazon cruise, the Galley Market lunch featured tiny soft shell crabs - I've never seen them this small. Does anyone know if Seabourn will do a special request for these crabs or were we just really lucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had them on the Sojourn a couple of weeks ago. They were lovely, apparently sourced from Alaska, of all places. Definitely out of season for Chesapeake and way too small. They had them on the Restaurant menu one night and then they were on the Market lunch spread. (I assume market lunch is a great way to serve "leftovers" writ large.)

Be very careful with ordering the escargot. I usually put in a special order once or twice during each cruise because as much as I love to cook it is not something I prepare at home. To be honest, perhaps I am just really fond of garlic butter ( especially when there is good french bread for sopping up every last drop --- btw, I time my order of escargot to match days when I am in a port where I know I can pick up some fresh bread at a local bakery). Anyway, back to the warning -- when I make my request to the Asst Maitre 'd the conversation always proceeds along the lines of,:

Him/Her " since it will be your main course perhaps you would like a double order?"

Me " no, thank you a single order is fine"

Him/Her , "well perhaps you husband would like some as well so maybe a double order after all?"

Me " No thank you, a single order for one is plenty."

Him/Her " It really is not that substantial"

Me, " no, really, that is not necessary."

Him/Her " but it is really no trouble, why don't I just put in a double order."

Me " You are quite kind, however, one is enough."

(This goes on for some time)

Then the night for which the escargot have been scheduled arrives, we show up with the French bread which they cart off to the kitchen to slice up and then we hold our breath. Anywhere from two to four plates of escargot show up ---that is either double portions for one or two persons! It has become a running joke and a bit of a guessing game as to how many plates will show up. You gotta love Seabourn!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 years later...

Regarding the special orders, since you are not at set seating how do you do that? Do you need to make a reservation by setting a time and place you plan to eat? Items that I might want to order are warm spinach salad, extra vegetables, escargots Provencal, would those items need 24 hour notice? We hate to make a fuss generally however it seems that Restaurant aims to please and takes pride in doing so. Do they ever do special orders at the Colonade?

In most cases, they just need to have the ingredients on hand and then it is made fresh for you when you get to the MDR. If it requires a long preparation, it will be "finished" when you arrive for dinner.

The host will know you have a special order coming, but mention it as soon as you arrive.

I was on a 3 week back to back, requested sushi and sashimi... Had a different spectacular dish every afternoon for lunch! The goat cheese soufflé is also to die for!