fire onboard Insignia

LHT28

Oceania statement...

We are deeply saddened by the tragic events that occurred this morning on Insignia. We have extended our heartfelt condolences to the families of those involved and are offering them our full support. This is truly an emotional time for all of us at Oceania Cruises.

Our top priority is ensuring all 656 guests return home as quickly and comfortably as possible. We’ve arranged for charter flights this evening to return all guests to Miami, as well as transfers and hotel accommodations in Miami until flights to their city of origin can be arranged tomorrow. All guests will receive a 100 percent refund, and a 50 percent credit towards a future Oceania Cruises voyage.

Oceania Cruises President and Chief Operating Officer Jason Montague, along with a team of guest and crew support and technical personnel, are in St. Lucia. This team is leading the effort to ensure guests and crew are well cared for, as well as working with the ship’s team and authorities to assess the situation. We will make additional details available as they become known.

My heartfelt condolonces to the families of those lost, and to Oceania crew members, and guests, during this tragic incident. Hoping everyone oboard returns home safely, and will sail on another Oceania voyage in the near future.

Wonder if this is the same fuel line issue that created similar engine room fires on other R class ships of Princess & Azamara. The first fire was on an R class vessell owned by Princess and they were reported as having advised all other cruise lines of cause of fire and modifications needed. A second fire occurred a couple of years ago on an R class vessel owned by Azamara.

Sad for Oceania and of course for the three crew members who have lost their lives .

This is a terrible thing - but thank goodness if it had to happen it happened in port and not at sea and not in rough water.

I do hope that all the passengers get home safely and that the crew will be well looked after as well. I suppose depending on the seriousness of the repairs needed some of them might be out of work - I hope O. takes care of this as I am sure they will.

Would have boarded the Insignia on Nov. 30 in San Juan sailing for 17 days and would have been there, but had to have back surgery on Oct. 16th and had to cancel. Things always work out for the best.

How sad for all aboard but Oceania will take good care of the passengers and crew. Saying a prayer for the ones that were killed. sk

How awful for everyone involved. Since it sounds like most of the passengers were already on shore when the fire occurred, I wonder how Oceania is getting their belongings to them.... important things like meds and passports. I'm assuming the passengers won't be allowed back into the US without their PPs.

How awful for everyone involved. Since it sounds like most of the passengers were already on shore when the fire occurred, I wonder how Oceania is getting their belongings to them.... important things like meds and passports. I'm assuming the passengers won't be allowed back into the US without their PPs.

The authorities may make a special wavier for those that cannot get to their passports under the circumstances

If they were help by the ship the Purser may have removed them when they were mustered off the ship

Lyn

My sister and brother-in-law are on this cruise ...their 2nd cruise in many, many years after they had had a bad weather cruise. We got them hooked last year when we cruised to Alaska all together.

I was surprised that I didn't receive an email from them yesterday evening to tell me about their day in St. Lucia. I now know why. I still haven't heard from them, and am so very thankful the guests are all ok! Still, very sad for those who lost their lives in this tragedy. Sending prayers to all those affected.

My heartfelt condolonces to the families of those lost, and to Oceania crew members, and guests, during this tragic incident. Hoping everyone oboard returns home safely, and will sail on another Oceania voyage in the near future.

Well said +1.

We love Insignia and wish her a speedy recovery!

Sorry about the pax dilemma ..not easy Im sure

Before muster could people not get their passports and documents ....?sounds like it was difficult for many .....:(

Can the ship be fixed in St Lucia or will it be towed to be fixed ?

I also feel bad for NCLWho just bought the company ...not a good start to be sure

OH MY what an ordeal for them

Without diminishing respect for those who lost their lives, to see what pax had to endure after evacuation - no hotel rooms, little to no food and water, 5 hours sitting on the tarmac due to miscommunication with Oceania apparently - O could be judged more harshly for what happened after the mechanical accident than for the accident itself. Treatment like that leaves me more almost more concerned than the accident itself -- there are accidents, then there is mismanagement.

OH MY what an ordeal for them

We're in Miami....we were in flight 5 out of 5.

We eventually went to the ferry terminal where everyone was shuttled, since we were told the updates would come from CDs Cory there. By that time it was a bit more comfortable, Ocenia had somehow found someplace to rent tons of chairs - probably not easy in St. Lucia on short notice.

The first group was in the small plane....think that was the one delayed. They left the ferry terminal well before 10 pm. The terminal was adjacent to the cruise port. so, from there the bus went back to the ship, where everyone was given the contents of their safes (where most of the passports were). Then it was a long drive to the south and the airport. all this took a lot of time. It should be noted that somehow O managed to get the airport to remain open through the night.

We didn't leave the ferry terminal until after 2am. Our flight - which should have been the last flight did not leave until 6am. But, it appears group 1 got held up.

The other ships in port donated some hot food (hamburgers and chicken) that was served early evening (for sure Carnival and perhaps also MSC.)

Most grumbling that I heard down at the hotel breakfast just now related to assigned flights being this afternoon....everyone is dead tired. And, many people are going to northern cities wearing only bathing suits, flip flops and cover ups. House keys are still in the cabins. We booked our own air so still weighing our options. O is picking up tonight and giving $100pp for the day.

I'm too tired to look, but if the Chase insurance gurus could advise whether they think a delayed luggage claim would work...I would be thankful. I don't know if it only relates to domestic air carriers. The O group here at the hotel said they would have no problem helping substantiating the delay for us. We're considering staying on in Miami until our original flight and buying some items to get us through. O has made it very clear that luggage will be sent to our homes and it will take a while as the ship still has no power.

BTW the new O president was at the St Lucia airport greeting the cruisers before they went through security. Kidded him that he had only been on the job a week and he corrected me and said it was 9 days.:)

Now for a nap...

Wonder if this is the same fuel line issue that created similar engine room fires on other R class ships of Princess & Azamara. The first fire was on an R class vessell owned by Princess and they were reported as having advised all other cruise lines of cause of fire and modifications needed. A second fire occurred a couple of years ago on an R class vessel owned by Azamara.

Sad for Oceania and of course for the three crew members who have lost their lives .

Heard it was a fuel line for first fire...but only from another passenger. There was a second event after the first fire.

Buggins0402....Thank You for all your reports! I wish you all the best in getting home....you will remember this cruise forever.

We are on the next cruise that leaves Miami on Wednesday....is their anything that you heard that might point to that cruise being canceled?

We are still packing and planning to leave on Monday for Miami, however it doesn't look good at this point.

Glad to hear most are in Miami

Must have been a logistial nightmare for the cruise line to get 1200 people back to the USA on short notice

I am sure once people are home & rested we will hear the good the bad & the ugly

Lyn

We are on the next cruise that leaves Miami on Wednesday....is their anything that you heard that might point to that cruise being canceled?

We are still packing and planning to leave on Monday for Miami, however it doesn't look good at this point.

I would be looking at a plan "B" if it were me

Buggins0402....Thank You for all your reports! I wish you all the best in getting home....you will remember this cruise forever.

Agree with your last point. I don't want to speculate...suggest you call O. Barry

I concur with the other two...heard one engine is gone. She has no power...housekeeping is using flashlights to pack things. She'd have to get repaired AND then get to Miami in time.