Reading List for a Cruise

CanadianDee

Like most of the people I suspect haunt these types of vacation boards, I'm a meticulous planner. :-)

I have everything for the upcoming cruise (cruise playlist, shore excursions, dining must-tries, flight entertainment, etc.) planned. Just working on my reading list.

What books would you recommend? I have pretty diverse tastes and here are some of my recommendations (mostly mysteries):

The Hot Zone (non-fiction, about the origins of the Ebola virus) by Richard Preston. I read this when there was that Ebola scare on the Carnival Magic. :)

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin (The Game of Thrones books, my all-time favourites)

The First Counsel by Brad Meltzer (and all his subsequent books)

Anything by Jonathan Kellerman

Labyrinth by Kate Moss

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (Young Adult novel, but still a brilliant read for adults)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (a post-apocalyptic novel, good read, though depressing)

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling, who knocks one out of the ballpark with this adult mystery novel) Also, Silkworm, a sequel to The Cuckoo's Calling

World War Z by Max Brooks SOOOO much better than the movie. I recommend listening to this one in audiobook format. So many great readers participated in the audiobook.

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Defending Jacob by William Landay

I read Defending Jacob. Kind of "dark" for a light cruise read. Anything by Harlan Coben. Start with some of his lst "Myron Bolitar" books. He is a good mystery writer and very funny. He lives a few blocks away from me too! Sue Grafton's alphabet series books are good too. BON VOYAGE!

I typically go for very light reading on cruises, nothing too involved and usually "junk novels". I usually grab whatever the few most recent JD Robb books are and catch up on that series. I will probably grab some of JK Rowling's books that she wrote under the other name for this one. I've been meaning to read them (haven't even read Casual Vacancy yet!), but have been elbow deep in Song of Ice and Fire lately.

On our TA in September, I read Louise Penny Armand Garmache Series. read them in order. Could not say enough about how interesting her characters are. Believe me, you will love her books.

Thanks for this tip! These look great, just ordered one. :)

I find that the ships library has more then enough for us to read. We normally bring a book to read on the plane & leave that in the ships library to exchange for another one. I look for any thing new by, Vince Flynn, David Baldacci, Daniel Silva, Stephen Cannell or Michael Connelly.

Allan & Marlane

I was delighted to find a signed copy of the new release of one of favourite authors in the ship's library last year. This week, the same author was in town, signing his latest book, so I went along and got my first book signed and I plan to bring it on board to read in a fortnights time - The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly. He writes great action adventure books. If you haven't read him or heard of him - suggest you look for "Ice Station" - I promise you will love it and will be hooked. A couple of other Australian authors who write great action adventure - Tony Park - all his books are set in Africa (think Wilbur Smith) and Greig Beck - his first book is "Beneath the Dark Ice" and its a great read. He has since written four more books in the series.

Edited by aussielozzie18

I love to read about the ports I am going to visit, nonfiction before sail away, fiction on board. We have a great used bookstore near us. The staff can direct me to stories set in any country!

Also, I enjoy watching movies before leaving, set in those great places. Roman Holiday for my last European adventure, for instance. just google your port and the words "movies set in......"