Formal night...another way of Holland America getting cheaper?

Riversedge

We all have our opinions but Lisa is telling you what is going on in the cruise industry. My travel agent friend told me HAL is " bleeding customers" and the line they are flocking to is country club casual.

and the bleeding goes on-- so maybe on formal nights when DH and I enjoy getting dressed up we won't be seeing scruffy stuff cause they will be on another ship -

Really - they are trying to make 1500 or so people happy at once. It won't happen - We will dress and enjoy it - If you want to wear shorts and a t shirt go for it -- you paid what I did.

We ask HAL to come into the 21st century on issues such as smoking,, menus, and all other areas. Why do we complain when they make steps to coming into this century as pertains to dress code? Of all posters here, when I first joined this forum, in the last century :D, I was likely one of the most traditional cruisers on the ships. Thankfully, in many matters, I've grown and been able to change (except for smoking :D) and I'm fine with leaving the evening gowns home. Few cruisers/vacationers are still interested in being forced to dress in tuxedos or even suits and ties these days. Whether all of us like it or not, our culture and standards have changed. My generation was the hippie crowd (not me :D) but today's generation is casual and focused on things other than matching service for 18 bone china in the cabinets and sterling silver service trays.

I'm happy I've been able to roll with those sort of changes and on future cruises, I will wear a cocktail dress as the dressiest thing I bring. I might even do the silk slacks and 'sparkling top'. :)

If one wants truly formal, I'm not sure where they can find it these days.

I don't mean to criticize those who wish to 'dress'. I was once one of you.

However, I do object to those who seem to think there is no middle ground when it comes to dress. It isn't either formal or scruffy jeans and t-shirts. Let's also include the neat pressed shirt and dress trousers with a nice loafer/appropriate shoe for the gents and simple dress/upscale restaurant worthy slack outfit or nice dresses for the ladies. A lady dressed in neat skirt/top or slacks/top is not likely to offend anyone, I would hope.

I remember when I high ranking politician came in The Ritz Hotel for drinks or dinner or whatever. He was not wearing a jacket and tie and was asked to kindly get appropriate dress. Those days are gone. It's a new world and new dress requirements for a number of businesses (not all) and for social occasions. No one says you can't dress but some are saying they don't have to dress.

Edited by sail7seas

We ask HAL to come into the 21st century on issues such as smoking,, menus, and all other areas. Why do we complain when they make steps to coming into this century as pertains to dress code? Of all posters here, when I first joined this forum, in the last century :D, I was likely one of the most traditional cruisers on the ships. Thankfully, in many matters, I've grown and been able to change (except for smoking :D) and I'm fine with leaving the evening gowns home. Few cruisers/vacationers are still interested in being forced to dress in tuxedos or even suits and ties these days. Whether all of us like it or not, our culture and standards have changed. My generation was the hippie crowd (not me :D) but today's generation is casual and focused on things other than matching service for 18 bone china in the cabinets and sterling silver service trays.

I'm happy I've been able to roll with those sort of changes and on future cruises, I will wear a cocktail dress as the dressiest thing I bring. I might even do the silk slacks and 'sparkling top'. :)

If one wants truly formal, I'm not sure where they can find it these days.

I don't mean to criticize those who wish to 'dress'. I was once one of you.

However, I do object to those who seem to think there is no middle ground when it comes to dress. It isn't either formal or scruffy jeans and t-shirts. Let's also include the neat pressed shirt and dress trousers with a nice loafer/appropriate shoe for the gents and simple dress/upscale restaurant worthy slack outfit or nice dresses for the ladies. A lady dressed in neat skirt/top or slacks/top is not likely to offend anyone, I would hope.

I remember when I high ranking politician came in The Ritz Hotel for drinks or dinner or whatever. He was not wearing a jacket and tie and was asked to kindly get appropriate dress. Those days are gone. It's a new world and new dress requirements for a number of businesses (not all) and for social occasions. No one says you can't dress but some are saying they don't have to dress.

Well stated Sail!

You see so many posts about how no one wants to dress up anymore. I've done open dining for the last several years and the MDR is the most packed on formal nights. I wonder why that would be. I do dress up and not in the "sparkly top and pants combo" because the cruiseline asks and I respect that. I'll be fine if they do drop that requirement. If HAL is indeed bleeding customers I doubt it's their dress code that's driving it. If that was the case then Princess and Celebrity would have the same issue.

You see so many posts about how no one wants to dress up anymore. I've done open dining for the last several years and the MDR is the most packed on formal nights. I wonder why that would be. I do dress up and not in the "sparkly top and pants combo" because the cruiseline asks and I respect that. I'll be fine if they do drop that requirement. If HAL is indeed bleeding customers I doubt it's their dress code that's driving it. If that was the case then Princess and Celebrity would have the same issue.

I agree with you that IF HAL is 'bleeding customers' it is not because of dress code.

and the bleeding goes on-- so maybe on formal nights when DH and I enjoy getting dressed up we won't be seeing scruffy stuff cause they will be on another ship -

Really - they are trying to make 1500 or so people happy at once. It won't happen - We will dress and enjoy it - If you want to wear shorts and a t shirt go for it -- you paid what I did.

Thank you! I could care less what anyone is wearing to dinner- does not affect my food or the enjoyment of my food in any way. We are normally so wrapped up in conversation and our food I likely couldn't tell you later what anyone else in the place was wearing.

I can't imagine sitting at dinner watching other people's choice in attire (unless you are Joan Rivers-rest in peace). I prefer to focus on the people I am sitting with- and no, I don't care what they are wearing either.

So, short of a tank top, thong, and mullet- I really don't care if someone is wearing Armani slacks or Levi 501's. I will confess that I complemented a woman on Oosterdam that was wearing a FIERCE pair of Louboutin's in the PG :D

My only request is that if you sit near me, please bathe.

Edited by frankc98376

Thank you! I could care less what anyone is wearing to dinner- does not affect my food or the enjoyment of my food in any way. We are normally so wrapped up in conversation and our food I likely couldn't tell you later what anyone else in the place was wearing.

I can't imagine sitting at dinner watching other people's choice in attire (unless you are Joan Rivers-rest in peace). I prefer to focus on the people I am sitting with- and no, I don't care what they are wearing either.

So, short of a tank top, thong, and mullet- I really don't care if someone is wearing Armani slacks or Levi 501's. I will confess that I complemented a woman on Oosterdam that was wearing a FIERCE pair of Louboutin's in the PG :D

My only request is that if you sit near me, please bathe.

That will be next, optional bathing.............:D

I'm confused, OP.

If you start a thread about dress code, what else would be expected for us to discuss?

The only option was to either agree code changes because HAL is saving money? We

don't all agree that is the case.

Sorry if I missed something obvious. :0

The best for all worlds is what Crystal is calling Black Tie Optional nights. Or, really, any NCL cruise!

No one is stopping anyone from wearing formal wear every night of every cruise. For those who complain about it slipping, a cruise line eliminating formal nights doesn't prohibit you from still putting on the disco ball and penguin suit.

I didn't read this as a dress code thread, but I also don't see that reducing the number of formal nights is a cost-saving measure by HAL.

Conversely, I am beginning to think that sticking with International Night is a ploy to make more money - as so many passengers dislike that menu and head to the specialty restaurants, instead.:rolleyes:

I also agree with Sail. We have found that toward the end of a long cruise, we are no longer eager to put on formal wear. We have been taking formal wear on cruises for the last 25 years, and I find that except for a couple of long dresses that are light weight, I am packing a cocktail dress, long pants and light weight tops.

On our up coming cruises in January, for the first time in 20 years DH is leaving his tux at home and only bringing a suit. I am leaving some of the more sparkly tops and dresses home and including what I used to take for informal nights before cruise lines omitted them.

Our DD and SIL used to cruise on HAL at least once a year, but quit several years ago as more and more passengers began dressing down on formal nights. DD enjoyed wearing formal wear a few nights a year.

Now, I wouldn't mind if there were a very few or no formal nights on most cruises. It might prevent those who dress up reluctantly from doing what one man did on a formal night. He wore his suit into the MDR, but as soon as he was seated, he moved his coat and tie, which did not bother me. However, I did not appreciate his opening his shirt about halfway down. Looking at his chest was not appetizing.

I'm confused, OP.

If you start a thread about dress code, what else would be expected for us to discuss?

The only option was to either agree code changes because HAL is saving money? We

don't all agree that is the case.

Sorry if I missed something obvious. :0

If you go back and read my original thread I asked that it not turn into a fashion thread. It was for discussion about whether reducing the number of formal nights we used to have (2 per every 7 nights) vs the one every 6 days (on our next cruise) was a cost savings measure by HAL because of the MENU. We did not need another fashion thread where someone says "I don't care what everyone else is wearing". That was not the purpose of my original post.

If you go back and read my original thread I asked that it not turn into a fashion thread. It was for discussion about whether reducing the number of formal nights we used to have (2 per every 7 nights) vs the one every 6 days (on our next cruise) was a cost savings measure by HAL because of the MENU. We did not need another fashion thread where someone says "I don't care what everyone else is wearing". That was not the purpose of my original post.

:confused: Still confused.

So, all you wanted was a yes or no answer.

Anything expanded from that turns into a dress code discussion.

Where else can it go?

But if that is what you are seeking, No..... I do not consider it a cost saving measure by HAL though I fully acknowledge there are lots of other cost saving methods being used by HAL and other cruise lines.

Edited by sail7seas

I am not bothered either way how many or how little formal nights HAL has.

If we don't feel like dressing up we usually stay in the cabin and get our dinner delivered to the cabin.

But before I end this message, a little story.

On one of the cruises on formal night, I stood next to a lady. She was for sure in her mid 80's. A tiny, frail little lady who could hardly stand straight.

BUT! She made a real effort to look nice. She had the most wonderful black sparkly long dress on, the makeup was wonderful and also her hair and jewellery.

There was a magic about her and if this reflects the "old" cruise days, then please bring it back. :)

Wow, we must be in the minority because we love the formal nights. We leave on the 17 day Hawaii cruise in a couple of weeks (only three formal nights according to the documents we just received) and both if us have we have put great thought and effort into getting our formal gear ready. it's one of the rare opportunities we have to get all decked out and we wouldn't think of missing one of them. To each his own I suppose.

Edited by Ducksoop
Typo

Wow, we must be in the minority because we love the formal nights. We leave on the 17 day Hawaii cruise in a couple of weeks (only three formal nights according to the documents we just received) and both if us have we have put great thought and effort into getting our formal gear ready. it's one of the rare opportunities we have to get all decked out and we wouldn't think of missing one of them. To each his own I suppose.

Agreed. I know it's all about what anyone wants to do, but I wish there was a venue on the ship that would only be formal dining and if you aren't dressed in formal attire you cannot get in. We love the formal nights but don't like having to sit next to someone who is wearing a jacket and t-shirt with dark jeans (to us that just ruins the "whole experience"). We mentioned this to the maitre'd once and the comment was that they don't say anything anymore because of the risk of bad customer comments.

Sorry...I hijacked for a moment...rant over. 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have not been on a formal nights cruise since 2002 as I have been fortunate in the last 10 cruises to be on small cruises or Oceania which is CCC since then. To drag around clothes for about 4 hours of wear is a burden. My idea now is a black pair of pants and a glittery top and that is it if it will pack in my suitcase. Will never see these people again is my attitude. My husband who I just informed about 3 formal nights just dropped his head. Hope he will pack a sport coat. We do not dress formally at home as you do not get dressed up for church but just dress pants and a shirt

Agreed. I know it's all about what anyone wants to do, but I wish there was a venue on the ship that would only be formal dining and if you aren't dressed in formal attire you cannot get in. We love the formal nights but don't like having to sit next to someone who is wearing a jacket and t-shirt with dark jeans (to us that just ruins the "whole experience"). We mentioned this to the maitre'd once and the comment was that they don't say anything anymore because of the risk of bad customer comments.

Quite agree. I enjoy formal nights and think it's sad when people either won't make an effort or push their "don't tell me what to do on my holiday" attitude. But going back to the original poster I don't think I could handle 10-14 formal nights. Thats getting just a bit too much. We have 3 on our upcoming 14nt Oosterdam cruise and that'll do me just fine.

The only thing I don't like so much on formal nights is they tend to offer a reduced menu because they have fancy things like lobster which they assume everyone will want. My wife and I wouldn't cross the road to get to a lobster and we sometimes struggle on these nights to find something we enjoy.

The only time that my husband and I need more than one large suitcase and a carry on is on a 35 day cruise. He has no trouble including his tuxedo in his large suitcase. He doesn't bring "special" black shoes, but wears his black loafers. I doubt anyone notices. I never bring heavy dresses such as beaded ones. I was even chosen to appear in a promotional video wearing a short cocktail dress. I agree that using the charge for additional suitcases is a cop out.

I also agree that people do not care to dress as formally as in prior days. When we first joined our country club, New Year's Eve was black tie optional. Now the only time a jacket and tie is required is the Tennis Club Christmas party.

We all have our opinions but Lisa is telling you what is going on in the cruise industry. My travel agent friend told me HAL is " bleeding customers" and the line they are flocking to is country club casual.

That's us. Another reason is the food. Lots of passengers who like simple food force the HAL kitchens to cater to this type of palate. I prefer the 'odd' selections on the other line.

But we sometimes cruise HAL again for the price/itinerary combination.

I think cutbacks will have to be expected as HAL customers seem to be mainly interested in the "lowest price cruise". How can they come up with the "fancy" dinners twice a week, when they could reduce that by half. I think it's less about the fact that people don't want to dress up, and more that the dinners cost less!

The only time that my husband and I need more than one large suitcase and a carry on is on a 35 day cruise. He has no trouble including his tuxedo in his large suitcase. He doesn't bring "special" black shoes, but wears his black loafers. I doubt anyone notices. I never bring heavy dresses such as beaded ones. I was even chosen to appear in a promotional video wearing a short cocktail dress. I agree that using the charge for additional suitcases is a cop out.

I also agree that people do not care to dress as formally as in prior days. When we first joined our country club, New Year's Eve was black tie optional. Now the only time a jacket and tie is required is the Tennis Club Christmas party.

Our Yacht Club was always black tie on NYE. It is now black tie optional.