Catholic Church in San Juan

nana of twins

Wanted to Catch a Catholic Mass on Saturday, the day we leave from San Juan. Does anyone know how far it is to get to a Catholic Church from the Pier and if there is enough time before departing that evening? Also, does anyone know of a name of a Catholic Church in San Juan close to the Pier?

Wanted to Catch a Catholic Mass on Saturday, the day we leave from San Juan. Does anyone know how far it is to get to a Catholic Church from the Pier and if there is enough time before departing that evening? Also, does anyone know of a name of a Catholic Church in San Juan close to the Pier?

Hi NANA OF TWINS,

I suggest that you start your research here:

http://www.thecatholicdirectory.com/directory.cfm?fuseaction=search_directory&country=pr&absolutecity=San%20Juan

We certainly SAW several Catholic Churches in Old San Juan on our visits... But we never stopped / toured any (some I know are extremely significant, not 100% sure if they all are operational, something tells my gut that one or two were strictly Shrines)

If you are on a Southern Caribbean Cruise originating in San Juan (The Summit) you will not be at the Pier in the Historic area of Old San Juan... But rather at the PanAmerican International Pier which is on the other side of the Harbour, about a 10 Minute Cab Ride away

Once you pick your Church... Use GOOGLE MAPS to actually see distances etc

San Juan Cabs use a Zone System... Info is readily available online & in the cabs that post rates within Zones and zone to zone.

PR Day Trips (San Juan Taxis) = http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/

Getting around was not ever a problem for us in San Juan no matter where we were going

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thank you. Would you know what is the latest time we need to be back on board before the 8:30 pm sailing?

Sorry, don't recall the All Aboard time in San Juan

But if you are on The Summit (you still have not confirmed this to be your ship... And there are many others that stop in San Juan and sail around 8:30 PM)... Muster Drill will be at 7:45 PM

All Aboard will be somewhere in the hour before that

The info will be posted on the Gangway as you exit the ship... Or you can ask when you check in if your plans are just to check in and not go onto the ship until All Aboard Time

NOTE - If you plan to just stick around Old San Juan and Check In as late as possible, then the time to do that will again be different. As Check In must be completed with a longer gap, so that US Customs / Homeland Security has a complete roster of the Pax on the Sailing quite awhile before a ship's sailing (90 mins or more in advance). That info will be in your E-Docs that you got when you did your On Line Check In

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Pretty sure our on board time was 7pm about a month ago...we shared a cab into old san juan and toured both forts and the church where ponce de leon is burried, Cathedral of San Juan Bautista, San Juan, Puerto Rico.

have a great trip.

Wish spell check worked on CC!!

I looked at daily from embarkation day and it didn't list on board time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We had an 8:30 departure time out of the pier in Old San Juan a year ago. We attended the 4:30 p.m. Saturday Vigil Mass at Stella Maris Catholic Church in Condado and had plenty of time to get back to the ship. It was an english language Mass and everyone was very welcoming. It looks as though it may be the same distance from the Pan American Pier. It was only about a 10-15 minute cab ride from the ship. The address of the church is 69 Calle Cervantes in Condado.

We are going the end of February. Celebrity says during lent there is Daily Mass. Has anyone confirmed this? We usually cruise HAL. But really liked the Summit Ports. Please let me know if anyone has been onboard during Lent with daily mass

We are going the end of February. Celebrity says during lent there is Daily Mass. Has anyone confirmed this? We usually cruise HAL. But really liked the Summit Ports. Please let me know if anyone has been onboard during Lent with daily mass

I don't know if there is daily Mass during Lent but they do try to have a priest on board for the main holy days suck as Easter and Palm Sunday. It depends on if they can get a priest as I think that the priest has to pay for the cruise, plus most priests want to be at their home parish during that time. We talked to the priest and he was missionary and said that there is a ministry that is funded through donations to support having a priest on board ship for not only the passengers but the crew.

We were on a ships the week before Palm Sunday. The priest being on board had daily morning Mass in Celebrity Central. We decided to go to Mass on Friday and during that Mass he said that he will have Palm Sunday Mass on Sat evening at 5:00. We were getting off the ship on Sunday morning so it was great for us. Sat evening we proceeded to that area about 20 minutes before it started and there was a very long line. We thought that it was great for such a fantastic turnout and couldn't believe that people were lined up that early.. We got in line and then found out it was for bingo in the theater. How ironic bingo and a Catholic Mass. Inside Celebrity Central there were a few people but after bingo ended it was SRO.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🌞🌞

From the Celebrity Web Site FAQs

Are religious services available on board?

Celebrity ships offer religious services for Catholic and Jewish faiths, as well as, Interdenominational services during major religious holidays (see detailed information below).

Catholic Mass: A Roman Catholic Priest will conduct daily mass during Lent, Palm Sunday, Easter Sunday, and Christmas Day.

Is this True? Has anyone been to Daily Mass during Lent?