What happens to OBC and prepaid grats if someone doesn't take cruise?

susiesan

Sailing on the Emerald Jan. 18 with my family in 2 cabins, one suite for 3 and one OV for 2.

My brother in the oV cabin has to cancel and cannot go on the cruise due to work. The cabin has $50 of OBC and prepaid gratuities for 2. My other brother will now have the cabin to him self.

Since the cruise has been paid for, will the credit and prepaid grats still apply to my brother's account? Or does the money just disappear? Should I let Princess know one person has cancelled or wait until the rest of us board and tell them he's not coming?

The OBC isn't "real" money paid to the cruise line so it's not refunded. Anything paid to the cruise line is subject to the posted cancelation fees. I would have to check to see what percentage would be refunded. He can submit a claim to his insurance for the remainder as long as he has cancel for any reason insurance.

The person remaining in the cabin could be charged the difference between the double occupancy and single fare.

I am not sure what the cancellation penalty is as of now. I believe it is about 50%. By not cancelling he would lose the amount that could have been refunded. Same for port charges which are also refundable.

Pre-paid gratuities - Who paid for them? If a passenger, then they are refundable.

Who pre-paid the gratuities? If it was a cruise line promo or it was paid in advance by your brother?

This is one of those times when checking with who you booked will give you a better answer. Also, depending on when you cancel also has implications. http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/pcl.jsp

For example:

Days prior to Cruise or Land Package Departure Item(s)* Assessed Cancellation Fee

75 days or more None None

74-57 days Cruise fare Deposit* Amount

56-29 days All Items 50% of Total Charges

28-15 days All Items 75% of Total Charges

within 14 days All Items 100% of Total Charges

Though, the existing brother may be charged more if he is single but if you have insurance, it may pick it up (depending on why he cancelled, type of insurance).

I would contact your agent and insurance companies involved.

You didn't ask, but I believe one cruiser can be swapped for another one at this point.

Does your brother know of someone who might want to cruise with him? If so, that person could be substituted and there would be no cancellation fees.

Just a thought...

Lew

Why would the brother have to cancel? The cruise is paid for so couldn't he just be a no-show?

That's what I was thinking to do. The OBC was part of a Princess promo as well as the prepaid grats. If one brother doesn't show I was hoping the Princess OBC could be used by the other brother. Each one of them has $25 OBC. Not sure if it's assigned by cabin or passenger.

There is no insurance involved. The amount being wasted is only $626. I think to officially cancel and have my other brother as a single would be the same as what has been paid.

I don't want another non family member to take the cabin space as this cruise is in honor of our mother who passed away in Sept. We are going to have a family memorial service on the ship as our Mother loved to cruise and went with her children many times. Our Mom will be with us on the cruise in spirit.

That's what I was thinking to do. The OBC was part of a Princess promo as well as the prepaid grats. If one brother doesn't show I was hoping the Princess OBC could be used by the other brother. Each one of them has $25 OBC. Not sure if it's assigned by cabin or passenger.

There is no insurance involved. The amount being wasted is only $626. I think to officially cancel and have my other brother as a single would be the same as what has been paid.

I don't want another non family member to take the cabin space as this cruise is in honor of our mother who passed away in Sept. We are going to have a family memorial service on the ship as our Mother loved to cruise and went with her children many times. Our Mom will be with us on the cruise in spirit.

Several years ago my cruising companion couldn't go...so he was a no-show and I went by myself. The OBC are passenger specific, so since he wasn't there, I only got my OBC, not his. So in my experience, the OBC would not be given for the person that no-shows.

Several years ago my cruising companion couldn't go...so he was a no-show and I went by myself. The OBC are passenger specific, so since he wasn't there, I only got my OBC, not his. So in my experience, the OBC would not be given for the person that no-shows.

Did you wait until you boarded the ship to tell Princess your companion wasn't going? or did you notify Princess ahead of time?

Looks like the brother who can't go could cancel and get back 50% of his money ($626 divided by 2) but the brother who IS going would have to probably pay $626 more as he is now a single person in the cabin. Maybe the brother who is not going should be a no show. Then the brother who went could pay him the $318 he would have got back if he cancelled. This way the one who went would only be paying half the extra amount he would have if he were a single.

Hope I explained this right!

Since you have 3 booked for the suite, could the third person take your brother's place in the cabin for 2--at least according to the booking--and you get the money less the penalty amount back for him or her? Once you're on the ship, you can have whatever sleeping arrangements you want.

Since you have 3 booked for the suite, could the third person take your brother's place in the cabin for 2--at least according to the booking--and you get the money less the penalty amount back for him or her? Once you're on the ship, you can have whatever sleeping arrangements you want.
That third person would then lose their suite privileges.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you don't mind posting how they handled the memorial service on the ship, I would be very interested in it.

So sorry for your loss.

-------

Some OBC is per cabin and some is per person. It depends on the promo.

If you don't mind posting how they handled the memorial service on the ship, I would be very interested in it.

So sorry for your loss.

-------

Some OBC is per cabin and some is per person. It depends on the promo.

According to the online booking the OBC is per person. My TA said the same thing. The suite occupants are all women. I doubt one of my sisters wants to bunk with my brother, especially since he snores horribly. I got the suite so 3 women wouldn't have to share a tiny cruise ship bathroom.

We are going to have our own memorial service. We have a Vista suite at the aft and are bringing along a small amount of my mother's ashes, and some of my father's who passed away 7 years ago. We'll gather with Mom's favorite gin & tonic cocktail, share memories, and toss the ashes off the back. it was going to be her 5 children only. Now it will be just 4 of us.

We are going to have our own memorial service. We have a Vista suite at the aft and are bringing along a small amount of my mother's ashes, and some of my father's who passed away 7 years ago. We'll gather with Mom's favorite gin & tonic cocktail, share memories, and toss the ashes off the back. it was going to be her 5 children only. Now it will be just 4 of us.

It sounds like a very nice tribute to your parents. Sorry your one brother can not be there.

According to the online booking the OBC is per person. My TA said the same thing. The suite occupants are all women. I doubt one of my sisters wants to bunk with my brother, especially since he snores horribly. I got the suite so 3 women wouldn't have to share a tiny cruise ship bathroom.

No one says she has to sleep there but as someone previously posted she can just be listed there. Or, the more costly route is what I suggested earlier.

Either way, sorry for your loss and I think it is a moving tribute to your parents.

I am sorry for your loss. I hope that your cruise will be the perfect way to honour your parents.

With all due respect, be mindful that there are cameras posted externally, and releasing anything from a balcony is forbidden. I hope that you are able to complete your memorial as planned.

It is illegal to throw anything overboard. There are rules about where ashes may be scattered at sea. Scattering it from your balcony can have it land on other people.

A few years ago we scattered ashes of a friend on a Holland America ship. They provide a great service in accommodating it. We had to get permission from the captain and when we could do it. HAL arranged for us to have access to a private area at the stern on a low deck. The captain signed a certificate indication the location and time where the ashes were scattered.

I don't know how Princess would handle it try and contact them. Maybe others that have experience will respond here.

It is illegal to throw anything overboard. There are rules about where ashes may be scattered at sea. Scattering it from your balcony can have it land on other people.

I don't know how Princess would handle it try and contact them. Maybe others that have experience will respond here.

We are planning on very small amount of ashes, what would fit in an envelope. A pinch. If they are in a bowl on the railing of the aft balcony and just happen to blow away, oops. They won't land on anyone, they will be in the wind.

We are planning on very small amount of ashes, what would fit in an envelope. A pinch. If they are in a bowl on the railing of the aft balcony and just happen to blow away, oops. They won't land on anyone, they will be in the wind.

It would be a shame if something went wrong or you were viewed on the ubiquitous cameras and had to respond to an inquiry. Why not coordinate it with Princess? There are a number of threads (just search 'spreading ashes at sea' on this forum) or go to Pam in CA's thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1343418) about spreading her BIL's ashes with the assistance of Princess. She gives a detailed account of the process and it seems, at least from her description, that Princess is strict about when and where the ashes can be spread.

I just read Pam in CA's post. It sounds similar to what we experienced.

In HAL's case, we were taken to the area below the promenade deck where the topes are for tying the ship up at the piers. There were two or three staff members with us. It was very private and dignified.