MITSUGIRLYS extensive extra Sky review

mitsugirly

Congratulations on passing your nursing boards. Your review is terrific. You certainly have an option if nursing doesn't work out for you:) Seriously, your review is much better than a lot of "professional" ones I've read. Awesome photo's too.

Thanks for the congrats and you are making me blush now with the compliments. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

I hate to butt in but I will :eek:

You know you are in Miami when you come across that rudeness you experienced with that woman at the port. Take it with a grain of salt. In the United States of course that is considered rude. But Miami is not part of the United States and that is just normal :eek:

LOL I had to chuckle at that. :p But honestly, I really have never experienced someone with her while checking in. It's just not normal for the NCL employees to act that way from what I have experienced. :D

The Sky holds special memories for me, she was the first ship I ever cruised on - 2002 to Alaska. We wanted to do something special for our 25th wedding anniversary. We knew nothing of cruising and our TA friend suggested NCL as a cruise line that matched our lifestyle - freestyle. We booked a balcony but just a few weeks before our cruise our TA called us and announced that NCL had offered us an upgrade to a suite.

Your pictures brought back memories of that most wonderful first ever cruise. Some of the names have changed - as did the décor for Hawaii.

Our next cruise is almost 2yrs away - I wish it was next year.:(

How nice that you were able to get upgraded to a suite. I know I was definitely missing our balcony on these 2 cruises. It's really hard to go back to an interior after that...and especially an interior on an older ship.

Great review, did the 4day Sky the week before you!

I will be interested in hearing if you had the same experience that we did. :)

Thanks for the photos. I am a huge fan of the Sun, but the Sky's decor is so much more elegant.

I agree. I liked the decor on the Sky a lot more too. :)

Deck 11

The Outrigger Lounge. This lounge sets at the very front of the ship. On the Sun, this space is occupied by suites. Instead the Suns Observation Lounge is located on Deck 12. If you remember correctly, it was the room that had the really nice wooden floor that I liked so much.

This lounge wasn't as nearly nice to me.

PB170094%20copy-L.jpg

PB170096%20copy-L.jpg

Wicker chairs...how comfortable can this be?

PB170097%20copy-L.jpg

PB170099%20copy-L.jpg

PB170098%20copy-L.jpg

PB170102%20copy-L.jpg

On one side you had the aerobics and fitness center, you know...the place I'm allergic to?

PB170091%20copy-L.jpg

PB170123%20copy-L.jpg

The odd thing about this area was it was down the hall that you use to get to the Lounge in the front of the ship. It's different than the Sun, which is a winding walkway from the elevators, down this hall and out the doors. If you are on the Sky, you will never have to wind down that hallway to get out...you will see why in a minute.

On the opposite side is the same thing, but you will find the spa, salon and "pampering" area...another thing I don't go to, but we did explore this area after getting on the ship to take pictures and act as if we were interested just so that I could see it.

PB170106%20copy-L.jpg

PB170107%20copy-L.jpg

PB170108%20copy-L.jpg

PB170110%20copy-L.jpg

PB170112%20copy-L.jpg

PB170114%20copy-L.jpg

PB170111%20copy-L.jpg

One thing that I did learn during this cruise (and I'm not sure if it was just this ship or they offer this fleet wide), they told us that we are welcome to use the steam rooms at any time during the cruise...for free! I seriously wanted to do this and I'm not sure why I didn't remember it. I'll have to see if this is the norm for most of the ships and check it out.

PB170115%20copy-L.jpg

PB170117%20copy-L.jpg

PB170116%20copy-L.jpg

PB170118%20copy-L.jpg

PB170119%20copy-L.jpg

PB170120%20copy-L.jpg

PB170121%20copy-L.jpg

PB170122%20copy-L.jpg

So while I won't be doing any of the "luxury" spa stuff while on a ship until I become rich and famous someday...or at least until I can overcome the fear of having a perfect stranger put their hands on my body, then I'll just have to "tour" the place pretending to be a potential customer on each ship. I forgot to play that part on the Sun cruise to get pictures.

So no, I'm not the person to ever ask during a review or a port how the massage was, because I will never be able to tell you that info. ;)

Now on to the middle area where the elevators are.

Remember on the Sun how you came up the glass elevators and you had to walk around this room, then wind your way back and forth down the hallways to come out to the pool area?

Well not on the Sky. When you came out of the elevators, you were surrounded by glass and could see right out to the pool deck. It was beautiful. There are chairs around the area that you can sit and relax in. Then of course since this has the atrium that goes from the 5th floor up to the top, it is all open to see down.

I loved this area and the way it looked. It was so much nicer than the Sun.

PB170037%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

PB170044%20copy-L.jpg

PB170047%20copy-L.jpg

PB170085%20copy-L.jpg

PB190229%20copy-L.jpg

When on the deck, you go to the right to go into this area or go straight to go toward the fitness area or the Outrigger Lounge.

PB190227%20copy-L.jpg

PB180214%20copy-L.jpg

On the sun, in the smoking area, they had regular ashtrays. On the Sky they had these things...which made it impossible to reach if you wasn't one of the ones being able to get a chair at the few tables they had and was forced to stand.

PB190225%20copy-L.jpg

PB190226%20copy-L.jpg

They had the round shower area under the steps just like the sun.

PB200299%20copy-L.jpg

This are was right outside of a restaurant called Il Adagio.

PB170057%20copy-L.jpg

I'm just a little confused about just what is Il Adagio. I know it's in the same place as Moderno on the Sun and you were allowed to eat in there for breakfast for free. However, this place also had lunch. It seemed to be a pasta bar and it was free is all I knew and I liked it.

They served pasta: pick your own type and own sauce and they cook it up there in front of you. Then they also had a PIZZA station as well. Woo hoo. I was going to actually find pizza on this cruise!

PB170058%20copy-L.jpg

I really liked the decor inside. At least I must have since I took so many pictures of it.

PB170059%20copy-L.jpg

PB170060%20copy-L.jpg

PB170061%20copy-L.jpg

PB170062%20copy-L.jpg

PB170063%20copy-L.jpg

Now according to NCL's website, this is an Italian restaurant that has a cover charge. :confused:

PB170066%20copy-L.jpg

PB170068%20copy-L.jpg

PB170069%20copy-L.jpg

PB170105%20copy-L.jpg

Maybe it use to have a cover charge and they no longer do? Or maybe it does in the evenings and they serve different food? I'm not really sure myself.

Behind this restaurant is a place that said it was the teen club. I peeked in for a moment.

PB170071%20copy-L.jpg

Then there is the "Longboard Bar" behind that. This is equivalent to the Sports Bar on the Sun and had things you would find at the Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehans, but of course was only open during certain hours.

PB180221%20copy-L.jpg

PB180223%20copy-L.jpg

PB180224%20copy-L.jpg

Out back was the Outdoor cafe and was the same as the Sun, across the entire aft of the ship.

PB170074%20copy-L.jpg

On the opposite side would be the Garden Cafe and for some reason I didn't get any pictures of it. It's set up the exact same as the Sun is and the buffet is very same with plenty of seating...unless the ship was overcrowded. :rolleyes: Then even with all the seating provided you would be lucky to find any seat available.

They had the ice cream station and the crepe station as soon as you walked in from the pool deck.

The a small section that curved around with basically the same thing on each side with maybe a variation or two from each other.

Walking outside you will have the sports deck with shuffleboard and golf driving nets.

PB170078%20copy-L.jpg

Also a basketball and volleyball court.

PB170079%20copy-L.jpg

The sundeck area (notice they didn't have the nice blue spongy things on this deck to keep your feet from burning on the hot surface like the Sun did.)

PB170084%20copy-L.jpg

In the middle of the ship there's the same type of bar as the Sun called the Champs Bar.

PB170083%20copy-L.jpg

And now we have made it to the front of the ship.

PB170089%20copy-L.jpg

I really liked this area. It was the KIDS area. Remember the Sun had theirs on the side of the ship. Well this one is on the front of the ship and was really cool with a waterfall that the kids loved.

PB170087%20copy-L.jpg

PB170088%20copy-L.jpg

PB170090%20copy-L.jpg

We would also find that the adults loved to try to hang out at this hot tub as well even though it's the "kids area". :rolleyes: Only is was x20 more than on the Sun.

Like I said before, if you come to the kids area to use the hot tub and children get in there and you have an attitude about it, try going to the ADULT hot tub area where you are supposed to be to avoid it. You know, the hot tub where all the adults complain about if there's any kids around the area and they want an "Adult only" pool and hot tub? That would be your area. ;)