Dynamic Dining postponed for Oasis & Allure

brfan

Anyone know exactly WHY Royal Caribbean has chosen to go DD??? It is cheaper to do? Or easier to manage on these mega ships? Or do they think passengers will prefer it for the flexibility? Or are they trying to lure people to the specialty restaurants?

I'm sure they have a number of reasons, and that the decision was not taken lightly. But, one can be virtually certain that the change makes economic sense for the line, and is what they believe will appeal to their target demographic (people who have previously said they'd never cruise) going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'm sure they have a number of reasons, and that the decision was not taken lightly. But, one can be virtually certain that the change makes economic sense for the line, and is what they believe will appeal to their target demographic (people who have previously said they'd never cruise) going forward.

Don't think DD is going to persuade people from a demographic that said they'd never cruise. If they wanted to choose their dining time they had MTD and I do not think the new themed restaurants are going to change there minds.

Don't think DD is going to persuade people from a demographic that said they'd never cruise. If they wanted to choose their dining time they had MTD and I do not think the new themed restaurants are going to change their minds.

When we tried booking complimentary restaurants it proved challenging to say the least.

We don't go on vacation to stand in lines trying to book for the evening meals.

We heard from others guests that some crew member had told them to book more complimentary restaurants and decide on the night which one they wanted to use, meaning tables were left emptied by no shows!

Out of 32 RCI cruises this is one to forget.

I read on another DD thread that more timeslots had been added for complementary dining -- as early as 4:30 PM and as late as 9:30 PM. Neither of those options sound great to me but I think it would allow them to turn the tables 3 times every evening.

Thanks for pointing that that Izumi and the new Diamond Lounge did take a few seats from the Grande dining room. However, when you look at the Allure deck plans, those seats are assigned to "Private Dining". The areas appear to be small. Do you happen to know the number of seats lost?...
As I posted above in #178 I have been assigned to eat in that area, and we were not connected to any group; just booked as the two of us. The room was 100% booked; there were almost 6200 passengers aboard (as there have been for all 4 of my O-class cruises), and I don't see how they could have functioned with less seats given that they already had more than 2 passengers per complimentary dining seat. My rather vague recollection was that each room had maybe 10-12 4-tops by the windows, plus maybe 10 8-10 tops (and I could be off by a reasonable amount) or maybe 100-150 seats per room. I don't consider the removal of 200-300 seats (at a very minimum it is in three figures) from the MDR to be "a few seats".

I'm sure that DD makes sense to RCI on a number of levels, but with Quantum having almost 3 passengers per complimentary dining room seat, I don't see how that will ever work without speeding up service. Forcing people who want dining room service to end up with their only dinner choice either pay or buffet is pretty much a way to drive those customers to never return. The only solution I would have for Quantum (and I readily admit that there is much about this I know little about) would be to add more waiters which would probably require elimination of some revenue cabins (quick solution: move some entertainers into passenger cabins, put waiters in those vacated cabins). I agree that I'll be surprised if DD doesn't make it to O-class sometime; it will interesting to see how this works out. Meanwhile I'm certainly not going to pay a premium for what many perceive is a not ready for prime time dining experience.

Thom

I understand there are many who like the old, classical, way of dining on a cruise ship. Royal has determined that there are far more that want something different. Royal is trying to attract new cruisers who do not find the idea of traditional dining, even MTD, attractive. Attracting these new cruisers requires replacing the classical dining experience, not just changing the menus.

No, Royal "hasn't determined" all that, despite your continued claims to the contrary. Rather, Royal is planning to determine, by how successful DD is or isn't on a few ships - whether or not to roll it out to more ships.

How can you say "As soon as possible" when just two days ago they announced a delay for Oasis - how is that "as soon as possible"?

I recognize that you favor DD, but your credibility is getting pretty shaky.

Nah, his credibility, as the head cheerleader without evidence for DD - isn't getting shaky, it's pretty much shot already.

I read on another DD thread that more timeslots had been added for complementary dining -- as early as 4:30 PM and as late as 9:30 PM. Neither of those options sound great to me but I think it would allow them to turn the tables 3 times every evening.

Don't see how that's going to help. Who's going to want to eat dinner at 4:30pm or even 9:30pm? Don't think anyone will book those times and if that's all that is left for those making reservations they aren't going to be too happy.

One would hope the smart ship wouldn't have double bookings :rolleyes:

There was one night where we had a second reservation in a different restaurant when we checked the schedule on the TV. But when we checked the computer, we only had the single reservation that we had made. I have no idea where that came from or how the TV was pulling up a different schedule than what was in the computer (it matched other than that one additional reservation on the TV).

I didn't want to risk trying to correct it. I hope I didn't contribute to a no-show.

The schedule on the TV was bizarre. We went to Chic one night, came back, checked our schedule on the TV and noticed that for that same night, they had listed 3 reservations for us at all different times (including overlapping ones) for Chic. We made 1 reservation. No idea what's going on with that or if it's the same program for the restaurant's system, but that can't be helping with the availability issues if it is.

The schedule on the TV was bizarre. We went to Chic one night, came back, checked our schedule on the TV and noticed that for that same night, they had listed 3 reservations for us at all different times (including overlapping ones) for Chic. We made 1 reservation. No idea what's going on with that or if it's the same program for the restaurant's system, but that can't be helping with the availability issues if it is.
Guess this is one of the IT problems that prompted RCI to delay DD for OA.

Thanks for pointing that that Izumi and the new Diamond Lounge did take a few seats from the Grande dining room. However, when you look at the Allure deck plans, those seats are assigned to "Private Dining". The areas appear to be small. Do you happen to know the number of seats lost?

ASAP means just that, As Soon As Possible. Whether that might be days, weeks, or a few months, as long as the issues are resolved as soon as possible, it's still ASAP, isn't it?

I know these delays are encouraging to those who would like to see Dynamic Dining go away, I just wouldn't get too excited.

As soon as possible is March. As soon as practical appears to be towards end of the year. Something being possible is not the same as practical. Obviously a delay is needed to work out some aspect of DD and improve it before trying to satisfy 6000 guests per week on a ship. I hope they get it sorted out and it runs smoothly

Don't see how that's going to help. Who's going to want to eat dinner at 4:30pm or even 9:30pm? Don't think anyone will book those times and if that's all that is left for those making reservations they aren't going to be too happy.

I agree that nobody, or at least very, very few people want to eat at 4:30 or 9:30, but that is not actually necessary to turn a table over 3 times in a given night with reasonably prompt service. Let's say dinner takes 1.5 hours, which is perfectly reasonable for an MDR on a cruise ship.

5:30, 7:00, 8:30

Alternatively...

6:00, 7:30, 9:00

5:30 is pretty early and 9 is pretty late, but it's possible. On my Allure cruise this past May, DW and I were out of the MDR in an hour every night. Was just on NCL last month and we were definitely out each night we dined in complimentary venues within 1.5 hours. So, it is definitely doable if they can get their service issues worked out.

Regarding your earlier post responding to my earlier point, you are certainly entitled to your opinion that the folks RCI execs have referred to as "never cruisers" (or something along those lines) would not prefer DD to traditional dining... but I respectfully disagree and apparently RCI does as well. One thing "never cruisers" I encounter in my life frequently cite as a reason for not cruising is the perceived rigidity of traditional cruising -- I.e., having to eat at a set time every night. I think DD, at least in theory, more closely emulates real world dining than traditional cruise ship dining, which would theoretically be more appealing to such folks. MTD still has the traditional rotating menu, whereas DD introduces somewhat more of a themed dining experience, more closely aligned with, but admittedly not identical to, what one selects when choosing a restaurant on land.

I'm not defending the actual execution of DD so far, nor am I criticizing it, because I have not yet experienced it. Those are just my $.02 on the general approach and theory behind DD as I understand it.

Edited by Dave85

I agree that nobody, or at least very, very few people want to eat at 4:30 or 9:30, but that is not actually necessary to turn a table over 3 times in a given night with reasonably prompt service. Let's say dinner takes 1.5 hours, which is perfectly reasonable for an MDR on a cruise ship.

5:30, 7:00, 8:30

Alternatively...

6:00, 7:30, 9:00

5:30 is pretty early and 9 is pretty late, but it's possible. On my Allure cruise this past May, DW and I were out of the MDR in an hour every night. Was just on NCL last month and we were definitely out each night we dined in complimentary venues within 1.5 hours. So, it is definitely doable if they can get their service issues worked out.

Regarding your earlier post responding to my earlier point, you are certainly entitled to your opinion that the folks RCI execs have referred to as "never cruisers" (or something along those lines) would not prefer DD to traditional dining... but I respectfully disagree and apparently RCI does as well. One thing "never cruisers" I encounter in my life frequently cite as a reason for not cruising is the perceived rigidity of traditional cruising -- I.e., having to eat at a set time every night. I think DD, at least in theory, more closely emulates real world dining than traditional cruise ship dining, which would theoretically be more appealing to such folks. MTD still has the traditional rotating menu, whereas DD introduces somewhat more of a themed dining experience, more closely aligned with, but admittedly not identical to, what one selects when choosing a restaurant on land.

I'm not defending the actual execution of DD so far, nor am I criticizing it, because I have not yet experienced it. Those are just my $.02 on the general approach and theory behind DD as I understand it.

First off I only responded to the post that said they added or were thinking of adding those two times. How many times the tables can or will turn over has nothing to do with my reply about how most people would not be happy with those times. Basically I just stated that should they add those two times like the poster mentioned its to early or to late for most people. Do I care how many times the tables will turn over....no! All I care about is that I wouldn't want dinner at either 4:30 or 9:30 and should they add those times like the original poster mentioned most people would not consider booking that.

You are entitled to your opinion in regards to the "never cruisers" however, several of your reasons are not valid. One in particular the rigidity of having to eat at the same time each night. No one had to do that prior to DD there was always MTD. Yes, it may not be the same as DD but no one told anyone when to eat and if a "never cruiser" wanted to try cruising I don't think MTD vs. DD would had made them change their minds. Just like when DD gets implemented on Allure and Oasis it doesn't mean RCCL is going to get innundated with "new cruiser" bookings. Plus no one knows exactly why RCCL has implemented DD...could be for any number of reasons so I wouldn't mention like you did that they happen to agree. This topic is very contraversal so lets just say we agree to disagree and leave it at that.:)

I understand there are many who like the old, classical, way of dining on a cruise ship. Royal has determined that there are far more that want something different. Royal is trying to attract new cruisers who do not find the idea of traditional dining, even MTD, attractive. Attracting these new cruisers requires replacing the classical dining experience, not just changing the menus.

Maintaining some dining space for Traditional Dining and MTD would only mean less space for DD. There is a certain minimum space required otherwise DD falls apart.

You raise some good points about how the menus in dynamic dining are less than successful. That maybe why Royal has postponed the implementation of dynamic dining. It maybe something as simple as changing the menus to reflect the feedback they received to date. It could be the IT issues others have mentioned. Or a combination of both.

That said, don't believe for a second that Royal has dropped the idea of dynamic dining. It will be extended to as many ships as possible and as soon as possible.

I think that this is the idea that bothers me the most. It seems that Royal is obsessed with going after only the new cruisers, and has no further interest in their established customer base. Apparently we can keep up with the change or go elsewhere, and it doesn't really matter to Royal which one we do. Especially the ones with a lot of cruises under our belts. Every year we get a bit older and a bit further away from the target age demographic.

No, Royal "hasn't determined" all that, despite your continued claims to the contrary. Rather, Royal is planning to determine, by how successful DD is or isn't on a few ships - whether or not to roll it out to more ships.

Nah, his credibility, as the head cheerleader without evidence for DD - isn't getting shaky, it's pretty much shot already.

ROTFLMA, good one:D:D and so true:eek:

Just spoken with a Travel Agent in the UK who said they can still book cruises from April 8th onwards with the option for Dynamic Dining.

Prior to April 8th they say the system is showing traditional dining. After the April 8th sailing its showing Dynamic Dining when booking.

Just spoken with a Travel Agent in the UK who said they can still book cruises from April 8th onwards with the option for Dynamic Dining.

Prior to April 8th they say the system is showing traditional dining. After the April 8th sailing its showing Dynamic Dining when booking.

I have found that travel agents often know less about what is going on with the cruise lines than people here on cruise critic. Some don't even have the new deck plans for the Oasis with the aft grand suites.

Maintaining some dining space for Traditional Dining and MTD would only mean less space for DD. There is a certain minimum space required otherwise DD falls apart.

You raise some good points about how the menus in dynamic dining are less than successful. That maybe why Royal has postponed the implementation of dynamic dining. It maybe something as simple as changing the menus to reflect the feedback they received to date. It could be the IT issues others have mentioned. Or a combination of both.

That said, don't believe for a second that Royal has dropped the idea of dynamic dining. It will be extended to as many ships as possible and as soon as possible.

Royal has determined it wants more $$$$.

Nothing to do with what the customer wants, or the majority of them.

Edited by Julesben

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.... It seems like RCL has finally realized that they had the optimum solution with MTD and DD just isn't going to work as well. Sure, DD looks good on paper but in reality it offers the passengers a more limited choice in menus and makes it more difficult for groups that may have different tastes to dine together. If RCL converts the entire dining operation to MTD it would give them the most flexibility to allow cruisers to dine at their selected times. DD has an inherent problem that each venue will only have a 1/4. 1/5 (depending on the number of DD venues) and a large fraction of the ship may be trying to get into a smaller venue. Guaranteed unhappy cruisers with this approach. RCL is learning that for US based cruises, the Asian options will not be as popular as traditional American food. RCL has used basically American based dinner menus throughout the world. As evidence for cruisers preference for American based food over other options, you don't need to go any farther than the WJ, Compare the lines at Jade to other parts of the WJ and you will see the preference for the current American based menus. Areas like Jade are an excellent option, but RCL cannot assume there will be large volumes for these regional choices. Perhaps they just need to leave the dining rooms as MTD and change the menus as the ships are based in different regions.

RCL needs to put some sort of positive PR spin on DD as an novel experiment to enhance the cruising experience, but then quickly move on to something else.

RCL still has some time before myself and other cruisers move away from RCL because of DD.

Maybe the wait staff are unhappy with DD and have complained. The last couple of cruises we had MTD, but when we arrived at about the same time each evening, we had the same table and waiters each night. This solved part of the problem mentioned earlier about slow service, since the waiters automatically brought some of the requests (like beverages) we would have each evening. We had the flexibility if we wanted it, but in our cases, it was pretty much like traditional dining.

I also think the waiters enjoy the interaction with us. It is more difficult for them to have new customers each night. There is also an incentive to please the same group of cruisers for the entire trip.

The big issue I believe is the tips. We have always given additional amounts directly to the wait staff the last evening because we have never been disappointed with the service we have received. We would probably not tip more if we did not have the same staff each night. Or we would feel we would have to tip each night based on the service for that evening only since we may not see them again.

If the wait staff starts receiving less income as a result of no direct additional tips I would think that would create a problem. All they would be getting is the minimum required or an equally divided portion of any additional tips people add to their accounts. This would certainly make them unhappy and less inclined to provide better service if they don't receive any additional benefit. I don't suspect that RCL would make up the difference by raising salaries and then needing to increase cruise fares.