Volcano Hike

HALrunner

The elevation gain from the closest place to park to the rim of the crater is about 2100 feet. You should plan on about 3-4 hours or so for the climb up and the return. It should not be attempted without a guide.

Can anyone tell me about how many miles/km the volcano hike is? I am guessing the elevation gain is about 4000 ft?

Thanks!

Hello there,

We booked this tour through Thenford Grey Tours in January, 2013. We had a VERY bad experience due to weather the day we went. :( It was overcast and windy. By the time we made it to the top, it was raining, HARD. We got pelted with very large rain drops. If the weather is bad, don't do it. Our guide's name was Scooby, we think he was part billy goat. He did not narrate for us, he left us and went ahead with 3 other younger folks from the ship (they were probably early 30's, I am 50).

We found our own way and met them up at the top. It was a rigorous hike. If it weren't for foul weather, I believe it would have been gorgeous. On the way back down, our billy goat guide took off ahead of everyone. One of the gals with the group of 3 also from our ship, tore her tendon in her ankle. I carried everyone's back packs while my husband helped to support her on one side while her BF supported her on the other side. Otherwise, she hopped fantastic, but don't think she would have made It back to the ship on time.

After we got home, I e-mailed Thenford Grey and advised him of the experience we had on his tour. He phoned me within the hour. He was pleased to hear what had actually happened to the young lady as she had booked the tour through a 3rd party vendor and he couldn't contact her directly. He offered us a refund and a complimentary island tour should we return again. When we went in January, 2014, we took him up on the island tour and it was fantastic.

I would highly recommend the hike with a tour guide as the other respondent recommended. I also highly recommend Thenford Grey Tours. :D

I hope this helps,

Robin

The elevation gain from the closest place to park to the rim of the crater is about 2100 feet. You should plan on about 3-4 hours or so for the climb up and the return. It should not be attempted without a guide.

Just got back from a vacation where we did the hike on 12/23.

100% agree with this post. We booked through the ship, and with the size of the tour, we had 5 guides to help the various skill levels.

I think we started with about 50 people, and 30 made it to the top.

We were fortunate to be in good enough shape to climb near to the fast group, but thanks to some heights fear, we were very slow in decending.

It's as much climb as it is hike, and one should expect to get quite dirty.

edit- the guides think that the route is 2.5 miles and 2100 ft. It does take 2 hours to go up.

Edited by alfaeric

I don't know what they charge these days but we paid less than $40 in 1995. We were not on a ship and it was a very small group (5 plus the guide). I think that a group as large as you describe is really too many for the conditions on the trail both up and down.

• 4 weeks later...

Back from our trip. So nice to get Away from the cold weather

The volcano hike was fun, David was super nice and professional. It's 3 miles up and 3 miles down (DUH). If you're not in good shape avoid this hike. Was saw many groups w/ people struggling. The trails are wet, rocky and have a lot of tree roots. It take a good 2.5 hours to get up.

Note: wear old shoes as you will me MUDDY and don't wear white shorts (Ya this girl did..double DUH!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I was on a ship that had a hike of this volcano on my last cruise, but my husband vitto'd it after our hike of Gros Piton in St. Lucia. This time around we are visiting on NCL and they don't offer this hike through the ship.

I very much would like to hike this volcano. Please tell me how far of a drive it is to get there and how long it took. When we did our hike in St. Lucia, I was surprised to learn that it took almost two hours to get to Gros Piton. We made it there, back, up and down (and even had time to stop for lunch). But I've learned to ask how long it takes to reach the destination now. :D:D:D

I was on a ship that had a hike of this volcano on my last cruise, but my husband vitto'd it after our hike of Gros Piton in St. Lucia. This time around we are visiting on NCL and they don't offer this hike through the ship.

I very much would like to hike this volcano. Please tell me how far of a drive it is to get there and how long it took. When we did our hike in St. Lucia, I was surprised to learn that it took almost two hours to get to Gros Piton. We made it there, back, up and down (and even had time to stop for lunch). But I've learned to ask how long it takes to reach the destination now. :D:D:D

Seemed like 30 min or so. Can't recall- but actually finding the base of the hike seemed like a challenge- it's not that near the main road.

Still, it was a 6 hour round trip, with the only real break was after we got back down, we ate a light lunch. The hike/climb does take that much time.

Seemed like 30 min or so. Can't recall- but actually finding the base of the hike seemed like a challenge- it's not that near the main road.

Still, it was a 6 hour round trip, with the only real break was after we got back down, we ate a light lunch. The hike/climb does take that much time.

We have seven hours in port so that should be just fine. Also - I know you have used Javin... is there a website for his tours?

Back from our trip. So nice to get Away from the cold weather

The volcano hike was fun, David was super nice and professional. It's 3 miles up and 3 miles down (DUH). If you're not in good shape avoid this hike. Was saw many groups w/ people struggling. The trails are wet, rocky and have a lot of tree roots. It take a good 2.5 hours to get up.

Note: wear old shoes as you will me MUDDY and don't wear white shorts (Ya this girl did..double DUH!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much for coming back to share! Do you remember how long it took you to get back down? Do you have any pics? Did you get to see the crater? I'm excited and nervous. We also hiked Gros Piton and it was extremely difficult, but we were so happy we did it, I imagine this will be the same.

:)

I did the volcano hike tour through Thenford Gray last year and the Gros Piton hike last week. I thought the volcano was harder-- my buddy thought Gros Piton was harder. Two absolutes though-- 1) you will get much dirtier on the volcano hike as it's in rain forest so plan accordingly, and 2) the Gros Piton hike is much more scenic on the walk up and at the top. We did the island tour with Thenford this year and he confirmed my suspicion that it's almost always cloudy at the top. That being the case, the reward for the hike is more making it to the top than scenic backdrops.

Agree with earlier posters that it is no joke-- it is a very strenuous hike so be well-rested and have a good breakfast that day. It is about an hour drive each way to the volcano, which is why the guides are also pushing you to make it to the top-- so you don't miss the ship. I never felt in danger of missing it and Thenford provided an excellent guide.

Is there something to do for people who choose not to do the entire climb?

Silly question perhaps, but I want to do the hike...my wife on the other hand may not be in the best shape to do it...

That wasn't us- I booked through the cruise line.

We will be there with RCI in August, and I cannot find the volcano hike listed in their excursions...closes is the rain Forrest..... what was the name of the excursion?

I can e-mail the excursion desk for more info....

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
We will be there with RCI in August, and I cannot find the volcano hike listed in their excursions...closes is the rain Forrest..... what was the name of the excursion?

I can e-mail the excursion desk for more info....

Thanks

I will be there with RCI also, different month, but the excursion is not showing up to book either. The excursion is listed as:

Mount Liamuiga Volcano Hike - KT63

Maybe it's too far in advance to book? I've noticed on my booking that they've released a few excursions, waited a few months, released some more, etc. If you do a search on KT63 to see what cruises it's offered on, our cruise is listed, and likely yours will be too; I guess we will have to keep waiting. Having the same issue with San Juan excursions.