HAL Tours - Private Tour Operators

sail7seas

While reading another thread this morning, I got to wondering.......

We learned from that thread HAL and/or their tour operator paid for medical care when a guest on a ship's sponsored tour had an accident. That, of course, deserves all goods things to be said for HAL.

When those of you here who usually (often ?) book private tours, do you verify the tour operator with whom you are booking has insurance? Do you see a policy or do you rely upon your own travel medical coverage?

Does reading about that gentleman's accident and the care HAL provided give you pause to reconsider booking tours with them?

We learned from that thread HAL and/or their tour operator paid for medical care when a guest on a ship's sponsored tour had an accident. That, of course, deserves all goods things to be said for HAL.

When those of you here who usually (often ?) book private tours, do you verify the tour operator with whom you are booking has insurance? Do you see a policy or do you rely upon your own travel medical coverage?

Does reading about that gentleman's accident and the care HAL provided give you pause to reconsider booking tours with them?

More often than not you don't see the name of the tour operator when booking excursions with the cruise line. The only way you can find out is by goggling tours for that port and looking for one whose descriptions match or are very similarly worded as the cruise line's description.

It never occurred to me that they carry medical insurance for things like falls (although we did always assume they carried automobile type insurance in case the van or bus was in an accident). I'd assumed I'd need my own insurance - which we buy - to cover misc injuries.

To me, this is another good reason for us to book ship excursions above and beyond the sense of security they provide us.

I always confirm insurance with the private tour operator Sail. It's a must IMO.

That thread and story is a good one, but no, it doesn't make me reconsider. My reasons are simple. I saw a woman pushed because on a HAL tour the 'guide' was rushing everyone - literally making some go faster than those who could not and the lady fell on the street and was nearly run over. She was badly hurt and she paid for her medical services on board. And this was a HAL tour. Fado, in Lisbon to be exact and you can see my review on HAL's site.

I find with private tours and smaller groups that the guide is able to tell you what to watch for easily, warn you of areas that might be tricky to walk, etc.

So, there are fewer accidents. It's not a big group and despite what some might say, not usually a carbon copy of HAL's - private tours are flexible and let you change, stay longer or less or do what intrigues you.

Overall, we will diy or do private tours. HAL's tours are good in a couple of places but if I compare over the years, I find they are not as good as they used to be. JMO though.

I always confirm insurance with the private tour operator Sail. It's a must IMO.

That thread and story is a good one, but no, it doesn't make me reconsider. My reasons are simple. I saw a woman pushed because on a HAL tour the 'guide' was rushing everyone - literally making some go faster than those who could not and the lady fell on the street and was nearly run over. She was badly hurt and she paid for her medical services on board. And this was a HAL tour. Fado, in Lisbon to be exact and you can see my review on HAL's site.

I find with private tours and smaller groups that the guide is able to tell you what to watch for easily, warn you of areas that might be tricky to walk, etc.

So, there are fewer accidents. It's not a big group and despite what some might say, not usually a carbon copy of HAL's - private tours are flexible and let you change, stay longer or less or do what intrigues you.

Overall, we will diy or do private tours. HAL's tours are good in a couple of places but if I compare over the years, I find they are not as good as they used to be. JMO though.

Thanks, Summersigh. If going with a ship's tour, I don't suppose we really need to know the operator. The ship surely knows but it's a good point.

Thanks for your response, Kazu.

When you book in advance on line or phone, do you actually view their insurance certificate or take their word for it? I know this might be niggly but it interests me.

Edited by sail7seas

Not quite exact and a bit misleading. What we actually learned was that HAL paid for THAT SPECIFIC PERSON's expenses. We cannot and should not infer that they would do this is all cases.

Edited by taxmantoo

Thanks, Summersigh. If going with a ship's tour, I don't suppose we really need to know the operator. The ship surely knows but it's a good point.

When you book in advance on line or phone, do you actually view their insurance certificate or take their word for it? I know this might be niggly but it interests me.

I never book by phone Sail. always on line and after several email conversations with the guide. I may have a phone conversation to clarify, but I like everything in writing and email does that for me. To be clear, I don't book right away. I ask questions and 'feel' my way.

As to insurance - yes, they tell me if they have it. Some of them have it on their website - many don't - they are happy to share the information with you if you choose to ask.

What you need to remember is that one review that is devastating on tripadvisor can demolish some of these guides, especially by a 'credentialed' reviewer on tripadvisor.

Reputable tour guides (which are the ones I tend to pick) rely on their reputations.

I ask a lot of questions before I book with a private guide even if they are number 1. I don't do it loosely or quickly. I don't want issues and while it is always a worry when you do this stuff, it's an avenue I choose when it is possible. It's not just the $ (sometimes there is no difference - or a negligible difference, other times it is a huge savings), it's the experience of a smaller group.

Those that have toured with me in the past, seem to sign up quickly on my roll calls. ;) I just do the best I can and so far other than one late show up, it has worked well and no, we have never missed the ship nor come close.

Edited by kazu

I would not expect a tour operator be it HAL or a private one to pay for an accident. We carry our own insurance including additional coverage during a trip. We have found a great deal of difference in private operators depending on where you are. We have found the Carribean and Europe to be far easier than we have found South America in dealing with private guides. This has made us slightly more likely to take a ship tour in some of these locals, however private tours are still our preference, cheaper, more personal and smaller groups make whatever risk there is worthwhile for us.

Not quite exact and a bit misleading. What we actually learned was that HAL paid for THAT SPECIFIC PERSON's expenses. We cannot and should not infer that they would do this is all cases.

Yes, you are right. :)

Some good information. Thanks for those who share here in this thread.

It's what I was interested in reading.

I always learn something from Cruise Critic. Today I learned the meaning of niggly. Thanks, Sail:D

Edited by HamOp

No, because I always have insurance anyway.

While except for an extreme circumstance, most of us can manage to pay whatever medical bills and seek reimbursement from our travel insurance but there could be some people for whom that would be a problem. Even in the case of the insurance being primary, many companies require we pay the bill and then submit for reimbursement. In the situation about which the other poster wrote, apparently HAL or the tour provider paid all the bills.

Interesting question, however, I will stick with what I do right now. I'm not sure that one incident which you cited is typical. We would need to know much more, for instance how the accident happened Possibly it was totally the tour operator's fault, who knows. But I don't feel, deep down, that the tour operator or the cruise line would usually jump in and pay all costs as a general rule. So as to your last paragraph, and the question - no. Too little info.

Having done a number of private tours organised by Jacqui, I can say that they are so well researched that they run like clockwork. Vehicles are newish, clean and seat belts are in working order. In some cases we did mirror ship's tours but small groups get away faster and can visit sites and be away again by the time the ship tour busses arrive with the crowds. The obligatory shopping stops that are forced on you by ship tour operators are done away with and you get to see what you are paying to see without standing around while others buy their junk.

Another plus is that you don't have to pay for private tours in advance.

The 31 day Prinsendam TA and Baltic was the first time I ever tried private tours and I must admit that I agreed to take them because I knew Jacqui and knew she micro researches. I would not be so eager to sign on with someone organizing tours on a roll call if I were just meeting them for the first time.

For our upcoming Panama cruise I simply told Jacqui that I am up for whatever she chooses to organise.

Bottom line is that I am becoming a fan of private tours but it all depends on who is doing the organising. I am finding more and more that ship tours are full of grumpy complaining curmudgeons who put a damper on everything and who couldn't get back to the bus on time if their lives depended on it. Between the bathroom stops and the shopping stops you really don't get good value.

I posted this on the other thread and will post it here as well since it is relevant to this thread too.

I usually do not book HAL tours unless there is no other way to do what I want to do. On our upcoming South America cruise we are taking the HAL tour to Torres del Paines National Park in Chile. If we don't we will not see it.

I usually find that with a private tour, aside from the cost considerations (and sometimes they cost more) I can go where I want to go, see what I want to see and do not have to spend time waiting for 50 people to board a bus. I have researched each tour provider and feel that I have made good choices and have never feared for my safety.

As for HAL tours being safe, in 2012 we were in Guayaquil, Ecuador and those who were on a HAL tour bus had the scare of their lives. I was not on this tour, but heard about it from many sources, including the concierge in the Neptune Lounge. Three men boarded the HAL tour bus and proceeded to pull earrings off one woman's ears and a necklace from another woman. Both had injuries from that event.

Exactly how that happened I am not sure.

I know that at the next stop in Manta we were warned over and over not to wear jewelry of any kind in port in the interest of safety.

Terri

I don't often take ship tours but I also don't take a lot of private tours. I prefer to do things on my own whenever possible, so I make sure I have appropriate insurance and medical coverage, given that if something should happen to me, there would likely be no other "responsible" party.

When I do take a private tour, I check for all appropriate registrations/accreditations/licenses and insurance wherever it is required.

I don't often take ship tours but I also don't take a lot of private tours. I prefer to do things on my own whenever possible, so I make sure I have appropriate insurance and medical coverage, given that if something should happen to me, there would likely be no other "responsible" party.

When I do take a private tour, I check for all appropriate registrations/accreditations/licenses and insurance wherever it is required.

This is some of what I hoped to learn about.

Do you actually look at their license, their registrations and insurance verification?

You are expected to have your own medical insurance when you cruise or else you are expected to have the money to pay for all medical expenses as they occur. Nobody should expect either the cruise company, a tour sponsored by the cruise company, or a private tour to pay for any medical expenses. The fact that HAL did it in this instance is a fluke and is not normal.

DON

This is some of what I hoped to learn about.

Do you actually look at their license, their registrations and insurance verification?

Do you look at HAL's, or rather their excursion contractors' license, registrations and insurance? Given all your questions I believe you must do your own investigations and not rely on responses by posters on an internet forum.

Do you look at HAL's, or rather their excursion contractors' license, registrations and insurance? Given all your questions I believe you must do your own investigations and not rely on responses by posters on an internet forum.

There are some very qualified people on this forum from whom good information is available if they wish to share..

Of course, I don't see HAL's licenses and registration. It is well known, reputable company under the banner of a publicly traded corporation on NY Stock Exchange. I hardly compare that to a taxi and driver or fellow with a clipboard though potentially highly experienced and educated. :)

I believe asking information here on CC is part of the process many use to investigate these sort of adjuncts to cruising.

There are some very qualified people on this forum from whom good information is available if they wish to share..

Of course, I don't see HAL's licenses and registration. It is well known, reputable company under the banner of a publicly traded corporation on NY Stock Exchange. I hardly compare that to a taxi and driver or fellow with a clipboard though potentially highly experienced and educated[/B]. :)

I believe asking information here on CC is part of the process many use to investigate these sort of adjuncts to cruising.

The bolding is mine. I'm sorry but that is not my definition of a private tour. The fellow with a clipboard does define HAL's for me.

Good private tour operators are very reputable. To cast them in all in that light is demeaning IMO. I'm sure you didn't mean to do so, but that's how it came across.

Tour operators with licenses are NOT taxi drivers. Nor do they need a clipboard. They know their history and are proud of their country and proud to do a good job.

edited to say - oops, bolding didn't work because your entire post is in bold so I did it in underline

Edited by kazu

The bolding is mine. I'm sorry but that is not my definition of a private tour. The fellow with a clipboard does define HAL's for me.

Good private tour operators are very reputable. To cast them in all in that light is demeaning IMO. I'm sure you didn't mean to do so, but that's how it came across.

Tour operators with licenses are NOT taxi drivers. Nor do they need a clipboard. They know their history and are proud of their country and proud to do a good job.

edited to say - oops, bolding didn't work because your entire post is in bold so I did it in underline

Huh? To say they may be highly experienced and educated is demeaning?

To say there are some very qualified posters with good information on this site with this sort of information is insulting? :confused: Of course, you are one of those to whom I am referring, Kazu.

I don't think that an insulting description. Sorry if you do.

Edited by sail7seas

edited to say - oops, bolding didn't work because your entire post is in bold so I did it in italics.

We have toured with private tour operators for years and the experience far surpasses what any ship tour offers. We've met the most reputable professional tour people, I will share a few examples.

We've toured and transferred multiple times with a well known Rome cab company, we even had the pleasure of touring once with the wonderful Owner Stefano. This company does extensive work for international media companies, anytime there is Papal news the media descends. Their big retainer company is CNN.

We had a marvelous 11 hour tour out if Belfast with a company that works extensively with the government of Northern Ireland. They tour visiting VIPs and our driver proudly told us about his recent passenger Bill Clinton. Our driver was so fantastic that all three couples on the trip posted rave reviews on Trip Advisor, independent of each other.

In Ketchikan Alaska we toured with a brilliant native man on his old time school bus, he was proud to tell us he had been hired to tour Paul Allen, Bill Gates and famous VIP friends around. Paul Allen had chartered the Crystal Symphony for Gates 40th birthday and they hired our tour guide to tour the group.

I could go on and on about the dozens of fabulous guides we have met. Cruise ship tours generally show you a few sights because it takes so long to get people organized and on and off the bus, not to mention all the "free time to shop" they provide. Private tour operators routinely whisk you in and out of two, three or even four times as many sights. They get their smaller vehicles in cities and towns where cruise buses are forbidden. They pride themselves on getting out of the port before any cruise bus has even loaded passengers. They always have us back at the dock minimum one hour prior to all aboard time.

We've also toured with multiple operators vetted by Rick Steves and his Business partner. These are not fly by night people. There are hundred, sometimes thousands of trip reports here and on trip advisor raving about these tour operators.

We also do independent touring depending on the port. I do not understand the paranoia about going independent or private. What in the world do people do on land tours? Are you afraid to leave your hotel or see anything on your own?

I understand the very elderly and handicapped passengers prefer ship touring.

Edited by sammiedawg

Huh? To say they may be highly experienced and educated is demeaning?

To say there are some very qualified posters with good information on this site with this sort of information is insulting? :confused: Of course, you are one of those to whom I am referring, Kazu.

I don't think that an insulting description. Sorry if you do.

Sail, with all due respect you said this:

I hardly compare that to a taxi and driver or fellow with a clipboard though potentially highly experienced and educated.

calling a private guide a taxi and a driver with a fellow with a clipboard does not describe a real private tour for me.

No worries, and thanks for the kind words.

Different strokes :)

I don't trust any cruise line-pushed tour. I much prefer individual control and to know the operator, which you don't get with a mass group tour.

I do not expect any tour operator to cover my medical bills if an accident occurs, just like I wouldn't ask a friend to cover me if I fell at their home. I exercise independent responsibility.

We travel independent, cruises get it to ports where we can continue that trend. I don't do group/bus tours.

We have toured with private tour operators for years and the experience far surpasses what any ship tour offers. We've met the most reputable professional tour people, I will share a few examples.

We've toured and transferred multiple times with a well known Rome cab company, we even had the pleasure of touring once with the wonderful Owner Stefano. This company does extensive work for international media companies, anytime there is Papal news the media descends. Their big retainer company is CNN.

We had a marvelous 11 hour tour out if Belfast with a company that works extensively with the government of Northern Ireland. They tour visiting VIPs and our driver proudly told us about his recent passenger Bill Clinton. Our driver was so fantastic that all three couples on the trip posted rave reviews on Trip Advisor, independent of each other.

In Ketchikan Alaska we toured with a brilliant native man on his old time school bus, he was proud to tell us he had been hired to tour Paul Allen, Bill Gates and famous VIP friends around. Paul Allen had chartered the Crystal Symphony for Gates 40th birthday and they hired our tour guide to tour the group.

I could go on and on about the dozens of fabulous guides we have met. Cruise ship tours generally show you a few sights because it takes so long to get people organized and on and off the bus, not to mention all the "free time to shop" they provide. Private tour operators routinely whisk you in and out of two, three or even four times as many sights. They get their smaller vehicles in cities and towns where cruise buses are forbidden. They pride themselves on getting out of the port before any cruise bus has even loaded passengers. They always have us back at the dock minimum one hour prior to all aboard time.

We also do independent touring depending on the port. I do not understand the paranoia about going independent or private. What in the world do people do on land tours? Are you afraid to leave your hotel or see anything on your own?

I understand the very elderly and handicapped passengers prefer ship touring.

exactly!

We have had so many wonderful guides that I could not even begin to start.

We head to the North of Spain for a land tour (on our own) in November before we board Oceania in Barcelona. I will probably use a guide to get to Rioja wine country and to see some of the Pyrennes. The rest will be our own research and travelling. At least, so far. I am still working on the planning.

Edited by kazu