"GC" cruise fares: Hmmm...

In case one could not find the page (not so easy to) here is the link to their 2-night cruise fares:

http://www.bestbahamascruise.com/Rates-Grand-Celebration-Cruise-Line.html

When you tack on $61.78 for taxes and fees, they really are not very attractive.

For the lowest grade inside cabin during high season you're looking at a total of $260.78 p/p. You can get deals on 3-4 night cruises for that.

They better have some promos / sales aside from the time share deal.

I was thinking the same thing. I want to see the old Celebration, but those prices are too steep. I can't imagine that they'll be stealing much business from the big lines if they can't do better than that. I can get a three or four night trip on RCI for the same or less and continue building my Crown and Anchor points.

I am copying this from the "Funnel" Thread, as I put it there by mistake. It was meant for here:

This is my comparison between The Bahamas Paradise Grand Celebration and The Carnival Victory cruise.

In their new television commercial for the Celebration, the funnel is intact with a similar "C" to Costa's. Perhaps that is for "C"elebration Now?

Prices are being advertised from $149 per person plus port charges. That means that an inside cabin is $300 per couple plus $140 in port charges, plus $30 two night Parking at the Port, plus an additional $50 total ($12.50 per day/per person) for gratuities. Total $520.00 minimum for two. That seems pricey for a 2 night trip.

We are on the Carnival Victory in a couple of days for a 5 night journey that we booked just at last minute, and it is $411.00 total for two people including port taxes. Balcony Cabin. Gratuities will add another $120.00. So essentially the same price but for 5 nights. Parking at the port of Miami is another $100 which our OBC offsets.

Summary of Carnival Booking for January 10, five night sailing:

Cruise Charges

Cruise Rate $100.00 $100.00 $200.00

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses $105.84 $105.84 $211.68

Optional Charges

Vacation Protection ? $0.00

Add $0.00

Add $0.00

Total Charges $205.84 $205.84 $411.68

Balance Paid In Full

Onboard Credit $100.00

$520 for two night Inside cabin on Celebration.

$630 for five night for Balcony Cabin on Carnival Celebration.

If Bahamas Grand Celebration would just add a 3rd night with a Sea Day or a day at Nassau, then it would be worth the cost, in my opinion.

They're going to have to do something with those rates, and I forgot parking and gratuities need to be added! Not to mention onboard expenditures.

Frankly, the rates are obscene!:eek:

I am copying this from the "Funnel" Thread, as I put it there by mistake. It was meant for here:

This is my comparison between The Bahamas Paradise Grand Celebration and The Carnival Victory cruise.

In their new television commercial for the Celebration, the funnel is intact with a similar "C" to Costa's. Perhaps that is for "C"elebration Now?

Prices are being advertised from $149 per person plus port charges. That means that an inside cabin is $300 per couple plus $140 in port charges, plus $30 two night Parking at the Port, plus an additional $50 total ($12.50 per day/per person) for gratuities. Total $520.00 minimum for two. That seems pricey for a 2 night trip.

We are on the Carnival Victory in a couple of days for a 5 night journey that we booked just at last minute, and it is $411.00 total for two people including port taxes. Balcony Cabin. Gratuities will add another $120.00. So essentially the same price but for 5 nights. Parking at the port of Miami is another $100 which our OBC offsets.

Summary of Carnival Booking for January 10, five night sailing:

Cruise Charges

Cruise Rate $100.00 $100.00 $200.00

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses $105.84 $105.84 $211.68

Optional Charges

Vacation Protection ? $0.00

Add $0.00

Add $0.00

Total Charges $205.84 $205.84 $411.68

Balance Paid In Full

Onboard Credit $100.00

$520 for two night Inside cabin on Celebration.

$630 for five night for Balcony Cabin on Carnival VICTORY

If Bahamas Grand Celebration would just add a 3rd night with a Sea Day or a day at Nassau, then it would be worth the cost, in my opinion.

I made a correction to the booking above. It should have stated Carnival Victory instead of Carnival Celebration...........see, I was on the inaugural first cruise of The Carnival Celebration 28 years ago and I had that name on my mind. In any case, sorry for the error.

It really is not that great of a value but seems consistent with fares on the other lines when they occasionally do have a two night cruise.

I'm on MSC's 2-night cruise next weekend and the price was $99 per person plus the taxes & gratuities.

I've not tried to book Grand Celebration yet so until someone does, you don't know that those published prices are valid. Keep in mind that published "brochure fares" are always much higher than reality. And on real cruise lines each sailing has a different price based on supply and demand. I expect Grand Celebration prices to be much lower in reality. They have to be. They've got more cabins to fill then ever!

BobK/Orlando

With taxes, $210.78 a person ($421.56 for 2) in the cheapest interior stateroom on the boat. The prices are cheaper when you call.

I know that that may seem somewhat unappealing, as you can get a 4 night cruise to Key West & Mexico on the Carnival Ecstasy for the same price, but I have family in West Palm, and I think it will make a nice, short extension to my visit to West Palm. Now, I haven't planned a vacation yet, but on Southwest, a direct flight is $99-$114 per person/per way, so for simple purposes, $205 a person roundtrip direct flights. I could stay with family for an entire week, so for a 7 night vacation, Visiting West Palm Beach and Family for 5 nights, and a Bahamainian Cruise for 2 nights, I would pay as low as about $416 a person, and then add parking fees for the family, museum admissions in West Palm, excursion in Freeport, help family pay for gas and food, etc, so really, $500-$530 ish. I'm not calling that a bad deal......

It certainly would be a bad deal if you had lots of loyalty points on another cruise line or you had to fly in just for 2 nights or drive for a long time, but in this case, I'll wait until I finalize a trip to WPB and the ship begins operating to book a cruise.

But I'm certainly very optimistic.

I'm on MSC's 2-night cruise next weekend and the price was $99 per person plus the taxes & gratuities.

I've not tried to book Grand Celebration yet so until someone does, you don't know that those published prices are valid. Keep in mind that published "brochure fares" are always much higher than reality. And on real cruise lines each sailing has a different price based on supply and demand. I expect Grand Celebration prices to be much lower in reality. They have to be. They've got more cabins to fill then ever!

BobK/Orlando

I called and tried to book a reservation. It was $279 per person for an outside Category 6 cabin and then they factor in the Port Fees, Taxes and the highest Gratuity on the Ocean, it was almost $799 before mandatory valet parking at the port of $15 per night. Nice. Really?

My point to the original poster exactly. We booked on the Oasis of The Seas two night-er September 2014, and it was only $350 port charges included, for two people, for a balcony cabin, including a stop at Nassau and parking was included free. We had a deluxe balcony and it was amazing.

We also did the MSC Divina the next two nights, in September 2014 and including parking in Miami, the cruise was only $360 for two, and that was for that Brand New Luxury Cruise Ship with 14 live entertainment acts and a grand staircase of Swarovski crystals going to Nassau. Hello Luxury. We spent a total of 799 for four nights on two ships, luxury cabins, new ships and balcony cabins.

But for Two nights on The Celebration, a 28 year old ship, if I am not going for free because I am on a Time Share presentation, it's kind of ridiculous, but if someone wants to spend those kind of the bucks for just a window cabin, enjoy. The balcony cabins are $600 per person for two nights. Enjoy.

Plus, the Bahamian Citizens get amazingly low rates for the one way, space available to the USA as it still will operate as a Ferry with the agreement with the Bahamian Government. Many will Ferry over for a one way government fare of $35 each and sleep on deck overnight, just as they did on the Bahamas Celebration, and I can be sure of that, as the Bahamian Government is a partner of the BPCL same as they were a partner with Bahamas Celebration.

With taxes, $210.78 a person ($421.56 for 2) in the cheapest interior stateroom on the boat. The prices are cheaper when you call.

I know that that may seem somewhat unappealing, as you can get a 4 night cruise to Key West & Mexico on the Carnival Ecstasy for the same price, but I have family in West Palm, and I think it will make a nice, short extension to my visit to West Palm. Now, I haven't planned a vacation yet, but on Southwest, a direct flight is $99-$114 per person/per way, so for simple purposes, $205 a person roundtrip direct flights. I could stay with family for an entire week, so for a 7 night vacation, Visiting West Palm Beach and Family for 5 nights, and a Bahamainian Cruise for 2 nights, I would pay as low as about $416 a person, and then add parking fees for the family, museum admissions in West Palm, excursion in Freeport, help family pay for gas and food, etc, so really, $500-$530 ish. I'm not calling that a bad deal......

It certainly would be a bad deal if you had lots of loyalty points on another cruise line or you had to fly in just for 2 nights or drive for a long time, but in this case, I'll wait until I finalize a trip to WPB and the ship begins operating to book a cruise.

But I'm certainly very optimistic.

$421.56 plus gratuity of $50 (12.50 per person per day) plus mandatory valet parking at the port of $30 per car. so the cheapest now is $501.56 for a clothes closet interior cabin before you even have had a cocktail for $12.00 a piece. Still more expensive than the brand new MSC Divina for a two, three or seven night interior cabin.

Edited by cruiseguys2009

I don't think that is that bad for a 2-night cruise. We know that $61.78 are the taxes so that means the fare itself for the inside cabin is $149. And I think their prices are likely to drop in the future as the cruise line faces the reality of having to try to fill that ship every two days.

Thanks, for the report!

BobK/Orlando

$421.56 plus gratuity of $50 (12.50 per person per day) plus mandatory valet parking at the port of $30 per car. so the cheapest now is $501.56 for a clothes closet interior cabin before you even have had a cocktail for $12.00 a piece. Still more expensive than the brand new MSC Divina for a two, three or seven night interior cabin.

-What if someone drove us, like we always do when we leave from Baltimore? Someone drives me and whoever I'm cruising with to the terminal or airport for my cruises. Who said I had to park at the ship? My family lives 10 minutes from the port, I can drive to the nearest hotel and catch one of their shuttles and their $7 rates, or get an organized cab to take me. Yes it's an expense, but I never said I'd park at the Palm Beach Terminal.

-You are correct about the gratuities, I was adding that in the "etc." category, as I didn't know. But this is a new cruise line, you can't say that things will be the same exact thing for both. It could be less, cold also be more. That's why it was in 'etc." ;)

-Don't usually drink on vacation, but yes, if I waned one, I could get one. Again, "etc."

-The MSC dates don't work for me, so you cannot base it on that. That's like telling a family of 4 that only cruises in balconies over Spring Break that for $1400 pp they can get an interior on a Transatlantic crossing, when they have a balcony picked out for that much over Spring Break. And if I did MS, not only would I need a hotel, but the flights would be more expensive, and I would have no one to stay with, and I've already seen Miami, so who would pay $180 for an interior for just 2 nights to a place I've been? Maybe this guy. Who would pay $550 adding flights and a hotel, for just 2, maybe 3 nights total in a city I've been to many times, not this guy. :rolleyes:

-So, like I stated before, we don't know much now about the cruise line, but one we do, I can further plan it in depth. Still, it is cheap (cheaper than MSC, if you read my explanation above. I'm from Maryland remember! ;)) and practical for a short cruise with my cruise-virgin family.

Thanks for trying! :D

I don't think that is that bad for a 2-night cruise. We know that $61.78 are the taxes so that means the fare itself for the inside cabin is $149. And I think their prices are likely to drop in the future as the cruise line faces the reality of having to try to fill that ship every two days.

Thanks, for the report!

BobK/Orlando

Right! Carnival loved charging $889 for a interior over the summer for 6 nights, now they are down to $689 for an interior :rolleyes: If they can't fill the ship, they will lose lots of money. They had such a hard time with a 2 night cruise from Long Beach, California on the Carnival Inspiration that Platinum, Diamond, and Diamond Plus members paid as low as $46! :D Carnival still got a lot of money from alcohol sales, with a price like that, that leaves lots of extra money sitting around :rolleyes: Hopefully BPCL (Made my own acronym for Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line :D) realizes this soon!

Edited by cruisexlife

I personally think this cruise option is good for someone who's new to Florida and the West Palm Beach area. I've seen different videos that Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line has made and I have to say that I was blown away. You need to keep in mind that the line is having to pay for Bahamas Celebration for maintenance and other work, plus the transferring of the Grand Celebration from Ibero Cruceros to their line. Give them a break. They are spending money to give passengers a very decent interior for a reasonable price. I wouldn't mind paying that amount to know that the ship is new in the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I personally think this cruise option is good for someone who's new to Florida and the West Palm Beach area. I've seen different videos that Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line has made and I have to say that I was blown away. You need to keep in mind that the line is having to pay for Bahamas Celebration for maintenance and other work, plus the transferring of the Grand Celebration from Ibero Cruceros to their line. Give them a break. They are spending money to give passengers a very decent interior for a reasonable price. I wouldn't mind paying that amount to know that the ship is new in the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While this is partially correct, you are forgetting to realize that the Grand Celebration is the pilot ship for a new cruise line, BPCL. Celebration Cruise Line owns the Bahamas Celebration, and they are not affiliated, as the Bahamas Celebration has now been deemed "out of service, and not for sale".

You also have to consider that they are the only ship from West Palm, so it'll be a little more expensive, and then the cruise in only 2 nights, so it's a little more. But you're right, a line needs to start somewhere, and captivating guests from Day 1 will lock in a strong business, no matter what the starting prices are :D

Do remember this is a Ex carnival ship and the room sizes will be larger then industry standard's No more 90 sq ft cabins,

Do remember this is a Ex carnival ship and the room sizes will be larger then industry standard's No more 90 sq ft cabins,

I do remember, as I was on the Inaugural Cruise of this ship when it was known as The Carnival Celebration. I won two Solid Gold Plastic Trophies (Which at that time were on marble bases with engraved front plates) one for The Conga Dance Competition and the other for Miss Male Nightgown Contest. Two things Carnival does not do anymore. There also was a big Trolley Vehicle on the promenade deck that has since been removed, according to the recent renovated photographs.

Now yes, no more 90 square foot cabins like on the Bahamas Celebration and most all of the Insides Cabins on The Grand Celebration are the same size as the outside cabins, 185 sq feet. However, though the size of most of the insides are 185 sq feet, there were 24 "Special Ones", known as "1-A's" that had Upper & Lowers with no sofas and were compacted thus were dubbed back in the day as "The Carnival Clothes Closets". There were 8 of them in a cluster and one on each side at the front center of the ship, on Riviera Deck, located all the way forward (R-5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 18, 19). The cabins R-1,2,7,8 were dubbed "The Morning Romance Cabins" because when the anchor was dropped, if one happened to be in bed at the time, the vibrations were so amazing, that it was like an old vibrating bed that took quarters! Since the beds were uppers and lowers, it was cozy too! The remaining other 1-A's were located all the way forward on Upper and Main Decks on the port and starboard sides.

1.gif

However, in her day, The Carnival Celebration, in addition to her earlier sisters The Carnival Holiday & The Carnival Jubilee, were amazing triplets and were considered huge. These ships changed the dynamics of cruising. I was on each of the Inaugural sailings of each those three Ladies. Loved every minute of it and looking back, we have life long friends that we met on The Holiday, Jubilee and Celebration and we still cruise with them today. These were the ships that gave me the Cruise Bug.

Now, with us sailing almost 40 cruises later (January 2015 will be #39 on The Carnival Victory and April 2015 will be the 40th on Celebrity Equinox), I hold a special place in my heart for The Celebration.

I am looking forward to sailing on The Celebration again, and no matter what it costs, the first time, I will be happy to pay whatever is necessary. I would like to travel again in the same suite we sailed on her in 1987, which was Veranda Deck V-3.

I am looking forward to sailing on The Celebration again, and no matter what it costs, the first time, I will be happy to pay whatever is necessary. I would like to travel again in the same suite we sailed on her in 1987, which was Veranda Deck V-3.

We did a 10 RT on her sister the Carnival Jubilee and truly loved her.

Miami:

Curacao

Aruba

Cartagena

partial transit of the canal

Lima

Key West

Miami

I would love to sail on the Celebration,

My wife and I got married on the Seabreeze

We are believers of bigger is not always better.

I appreciate what everyone is saying, but as much as I love cruises, I still think the rates are obscene. I just assume do more nights on another line. I am equal distance from WPB and FLL, and MIA is not overly far either. Lovely ship she is, but they would need to really entice me with some serious discounts, like 25-50% off.

I do remember, as I was on the Inaugural Cruise of this ship when it was known as The Carnival Celebration. I won two Solid Gold Plastic Trophies (Which at that time were on marble bases with engraved front plates) one for The Conga Dance Competition and the other for Miss Male Nightgown Contest. Two things Carnival does not do anymore. There also was a big Trolley Vehicle on the promenade deck that has since been removed, according to the recent renovated photographs.

Now yes, no more 90 square foot cabins like on the Bahamas Celebration and most all of the Insides Cabins on The Grand Celebration are the same size as the outside cabins, 185 sq feet. However, though the size of most of the insides are 185 sq feet, there were 24 "Special Ones", known as "1-A's" that had Upper & Lowers with no sofas and were compacted thus were dubbed back in the day as "The Carnival Clothes Closets". There were 8 of them in a cluster and one on each side at the front center of the ship, on Riviera Deck, located all the way forward (R-5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 18, 19). The cabins R-1,2,7,8 were dubbed "The Morning Romance Cabins" because when the anchor was dropped, if one happened to be in bed at the time, the vibrations were so amazing, that it was like an old vibrating bed that took quarters! Since the beds were uppers and lowers, it was cozy too! The remaining other 1-A's were located all the way forward on Upper and Main Decks on the port and starboard sides.

1.gif

However, in her day, The Carnival Celebration, in addition to her earlier sisters The Carnival Holiday & The Carnival Jubilee, were amazing triplets and were considered huge. These ships changed the dynamics of cruising. I was on each of the Inaugural sailings of each those three Ladies. Loved every minute of it and looking back, we have life long friends that we met on The Holiday, Jubilee and Celebration and we still cruise with them today. These were the ships that gave me the Cruise Bug.

Now, with us sailing almost 40 cruises later (January 2015 will be #39 on The Carnival Victory and April 2015 will be the 40th on Celebrity Equinox), I hold a special place in my heart for The Celebration.

I had a good chuckle with "The Romance Cabins."

.....but they would need to really entice me with some serious discounts, like 25-50% off.

Give it time.

Once they know they're ready and have confirmed sailing dates and are beyond just "hopeful" dates, they will have some huge introductory sale fares.

BobK/Orlando

The distance from West Palm to Freeport is roughly 78 nautical miles. Now if the ship departs at 6:30 PM and arrives at Freeport at 6:30 AM, that's 12 hours sailing, and you will need a speed of roughly 6.5 knots to accomplish this. Now, granted, the ship's Diesel engines are not as efficient at slow speeds, but let's face it, they are not consuming anywhere near the fuel that they would at say 20-22 kts. Thus, fuel expense is LOW.

Yet another reason why I think the rates are obscene.

Let me reiterate, I do believe they can compete in the 3-4 night market while still servicing Freeport. They can do 2, 2-night cruises and one 3 night, with a day at sea.

I just have no incentive to book 2 nights at these rates. Maybe they found a niche, but after having tried one on BC, and liked it, I realize it's still not the niche for me. I'll go south for 3-4 nights.

Give it time.

Once they know they're ready and have confirmed sailing dates and are beyond just "hopeful" dates, they will have some huge introductory sale fares.

BobK/Orlando

I do not disagree with that, Bob, but unless you are rolling in "dough", I would not book now, but wait until the ship is in service, or they see slim bookings before hand and roll out the offers.

These are, indeed like hotel "rack rates", and no one books at rack rate unless it is some special event or something that you have to be at.

Give it time.

BobK/Orlando

I am sure of it. Already their base rate is $179 per person inside cabin and they are advertising it on television for $149 per person. More to come.

Plus, factor in the Celebration Cruise Lines Time Share sales division, with a huge advertisement in tomorrows newspaper for telephone sales agents, it seems that they are gearing up for a new tremendous marketing blitz with more "free cruises" to give away if one sits thru their time share presentations.

Then they probably will go thru their existing data base and market to all their customers that have sailed on the Bahamas Celebration over the years with an "Introductory" Rate. And then there are folks like me. Casino VIP's. I have just heard that the wonderful Shelly Earnest will be returning as The Casino Host next week, to begin the process of Casino Marketing & Promotions again, and take the helm, as she was with Bahamas Celebration in that same position.

Edited by cruiseguys2009