Singapore tips & tricks

chaz cruiser

We are staying a few extras nights after our cruise on the Sapphire Princess. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to share on things to do in Singapore? What about ways to save??

Hi chat cruiser,

The Singapore MRT is a great way to get around, it is cheap, clean and very efficient.

The hop on hop off bus will show you all the sights of Singapore, and you can hop off and explore at the time, or go back later. You can get 1 or 2 day passes.

There are lots of places to get free wifi, especially in cafés, food courts, bars ect

Eating at hawker centres, especially the less touristy ones, can be cheaper than the more famous ones.

While it lovely to have high tea and a Singapore sling at the Raffles, they are very expensive to do there (but it is a once in a life time experience) and other beautiful hotels have just as nice, if not better ones available.

Staying in a great location, within walking distance of lots of things can be a great way to see this city.

Enjoy your cruise and Singapore :D

This post was on cc a few months ago.

For those cruisers looking for places to visit in Singapore, here is my list, most of which I have visited, and others yet to visit.

* Artscience Museum at Marina Bay Sands

* National Museum of Singapore

* Battle Box in Fort Canning Park

* Mint Museum of Toys (26 Seah Street)

* Changi Museum

* Army Museum of Singapore, Upper Jurong Road

* Singapore Discovery Centre (good for children)

* Marina Barrage

* NeWater Visitors Centre

* Royal Selangor Pewter Centre.

* Sentosa Island

* Singapore Cable Car Ride (from Harbourfront)

* Singapore Flyer

* Cruise on bum boat on Singapore River

* $1 ice cream from vendor near bridge (Clarke Quay) - threw this one in as he is my favourite ice cream vendor.

* Butterfly Park & Insect Kingdom on Sentosa Island

* Stand up paddle board hire at Silosa Beach (Sentosa)

* Stand up paddle board hire at East Coast Parkway (near Big Splash)

* Singapore Botanical Gardens (a must for orchid lovers & lovers of Heliconians & gingers)

* Jurong Bird Park, Singapore Zoo, and Night Safari

* Underwater World, Sentosa (this is a MUST for lovers of fish, corals etc)

* Chinatown Heritage Centre

* Tiger Beer Brewery (for the beer lovers)

* Palua Ubin Island (cycling)

* Asian Civilisation Museum

* Bukit Brown Chinese Cemetary

* MacRitchie Reservoir or Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (great for walking in the last rainforest areas on Singapore Island)

* Raffles Hotel & Chimes shops - have a singapore sling at Raffles or coffee/cake in their Cafe.

* Lastly, for the ladies - Orchard Road (shopping) - and finish off your busy shopping day with a nice lunch in Goodwood Park Hotel (lovely old fashioned Hotel, with lots of ambiance)....happy shopping ladies.

I would recommend Botanic Gardens (look out for concerts in the bandstand here) and also the hop on hop off bus. Clarke Quay (restaurants and shops), and a bum boat ride from Clarke Quay at night - the lights along the river and buildings are fantastic. Look out for the light show, this was the best one we have seen.

We also visited Universal Studios for a day off sightseeing (on the island). Wasn't too busy when we were there in March, we paid for the fast pass, but didn't really need to.

We only have two days and would like to do either the zoo or the night safari.

We plan on doing the hop on bus and want to explore Chinatown, the Flyer and Oarchard Rd.

Which would someone recomend?

We are staying a few extras nights after our cruise on the Sapphire Princess. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to share on things to do in Singapore? What about ways to save??

It depends on your budget. If you are going to try the Hop On and Hop Off bus, there are 3 companies doing it (Red, Orange and Brown buses). They vary in prices and timing. They also offer boat rides on Singapore River (day or night).

If this is your first time to Singapore, I suggest that you go to Mt. Faber and take a cable car to Sentosa.

Alternatively, if you do not like cable car, you can take a taxi to Resort world Sentosa and go to the S.E.A Aquarium. Roaming around Sentosa will take you the whole day. Remember to bring a lot of bottled water with you. The drinks are more expensive than on the mainland. As for food, go to the Malaysia Food Street at Sentosa Resort, you will find good food there. Less expensive than the resturants there.

In the city area, you can go to Lau Pa Sat (Food center, you will see it on the HOHO bus) or Chinatown (Wet market 2nd floor). There are a lot of good and affordable food there.

4774Papa mentioned a lot of places. You can google them and see which one interest you.

Have Fun.

Asing1cruise

We only have two days and would like to do either the zoo or the night safari.

the night safari is in the zoo.. thte only way to see he animals awake is at nigt.. i am going one night.

We plan on doing the hop on bus and want to explore Chinatown, the Flyer and Oarchard Rd.

Which would someone recomend?

I hope to do al lthree- please add the gardesn as hey ar great.

It depends on your budget. If you are going to try the Hop On and Hop Off bus, there are 3 companies doing it (Red, Orange and Brown buses). They vary in prices and timing. They also offer boat rides on Singapore River (day or night).

If this is your first time to Singapore, I suggest that you go to Mt. Faber and take a cable car to Sentosa.

Alternatively, if you do not like cable car, you can take a taxi to Resort world Sentosa and go to the S.E.A Aquarium. Roaming around Sentosa will take you the whole day. Remember to bring a lot of bottled water with you. The drinks are more expensive than on the mainland. As for food, go to the Malaysia Food Street at Sentosa Resort, you will find good food there. Less expensive than the resturants there.

In the city area, you can go to Lau Pa Sat (Food center, you will see it on the HOHO bus) or Chinatown (Wet market 2nd floor). There are a lot of good and affordable food there.

4774Papa mentioned a lot of places. You can google them and see which one interest you.

Have Fun.

Asing1cruise

We always use the HO/HO bus that starts and finishes at Suntec city. 2 routes included in the price- really good value.

The cultural areas of Chinatown, little India and the Arab quarter retain lots of original buildings and gives you a great feel of the heritage of Singapore. Walking around the river at Clarke and Robertson Quay is also lovely. The raffles precinct is gorgeous, and the Marina Bay Area a wonder of modern technology.

We found Sentoasa one big theme park sorta thing, and felt our time and money there was wasted, when only in Singapore for a couple of days, but many people do say with a bit of research we could've had a better experience..........

Though the cable car ride was lovely.

And for a country gal to be able to go shopping on Orchard Rd, visiting Chanel, Burberry and Dior (I fitted into their sunglasses!!) was a eye opener that's for sure (for the shop assistants as well as myself lol) but something I won't need to do again.

Singapore doesn't really crank up till 10/11 o'clock and that can be frustrating when on limited time, but then it does stay up late at night too.;)

Edited by wangeling gal

If you are a person that likes views from high-rise, you could consider having lunch (or dinner, which is a lot more expensive) at the Salt Bar & Grill, located at the 55th Storey of ION Orchard.

Here is a video I made of a lunch I had there. Check out the views.

[YOUTUBE]FtYaEyQ0lMY[/YOUTUBE]

Universal studios is great :)

The new aquarium on sentosa

Zoo and night safari is prob an afternoon thing.

Ive done night safari twice and i learnt second time to do the walking trail then hop on the train half way around to skip the long queue of people waiting. If your there at right time you'll see the lion been fed.

China town

Little india

Bugis markets

La pau sat - hawkers

Clarke quay especially at night

Marina bay sands. You can go up to the top for $20 and see views of singapore and beyond

Duck boat tour

Emily

Well, at least some of the garden-oriented large theme-like parks in Singapore are quite different. We loved Gardens By the Bay, for instance--the two indoor domed environments are lovely.

Hawker Centre food, for sure--but you'll have to do your own research, there are so many. There's one beside the above park, for instance. There are two large hawker centres in Chinatown--the Maxwell Road Food Centre and the upper floor of the Chinatown Complex, which is all food stalls.

Kampong Glam, the old arab quarter was very nice. Little India was interesting too.

I didn't bother with the Flyer, although husband was up top of the Marina Sands and liked it.

Raffles Hotel is worth walking through, it's lovely. Orchard Road left me cold, unless you're really into shopping.

There are indoor malls everywhere downtown, a good place to escape the heat and enjoy an iced coffee--very invigorating in the heat.

I just walked, mostly, and took the MRT. It was great, just stay cool!

Thanks everyone. Enjoying reading all of your suggestions. Does anyone have any tips on the cheapest way to get tickets to some of the attractions? When we did New Zealand we found some places were cheaper if you booked online but am not sure if the same thing applies for Singapore.

We are currently considering Singapore Flyer, Changi museum, Gardens by the Bay, spending the afternoon at the zoo & then doing the night safari, a river cruise, Universal Studios, Marina Bay Sands viewing platform & laser light show...

I wonder how we are going to fit it all in 5 days!!!

You'll fit that in easy.

My suggestion:

Day 1: start in morning go to changi museum, lunch n rest then go to flyer and marina bay lights show then dinner

Day 2: gardens by the bay and river cruise

Day 3: shop till you drop for abit then head to zoo for say 2pm then do night safari. They hav food there and a lil type 7-11 to get drinks

Day 4: universal studios and if time sentosa island then rest at vivo city before heading back to hotel

Day 5: rest

I hope that helps!

I go to singapore alot as i have family there so feel free to ask any qs :) or i can give you my email address

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not go to the Changi Museum, so I can't comment.

But the National Museum of Singapore is really great, and touches on this subject, along with lots of other aspects of Singaporean history.

And if you're into museums, the Asian Civilisations Museum is exquisite--we spent part of two days there.

You'll fit that in easy.

My suggestion:

Day 1: start in morning go to changi museum, lunch n rest then go to flyer and marina bay lights show then dinner

Day 2: gardens by the bay and river cruise

Day 3: shop till you drop for abit then head to zoo for say 2pm then do night safari. They hav food there and a lil type 7-11 to get drinks

Day 4: universal studios and if time sentosa island then rest at vivo city before heading back to hotel

Day 5: rest

I hope that helps!

I go to singapore alot as i have family there so feel free to ask any qs :) or i can give you my email address

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emski83 has given a fabulous itinerary, very doable. But I would still try and fit in the 3 culteral areas, and an obligatory photo with Merlion!! so much to do, so little time:cool:

If you are going to the zoo, you can repurchase your tickets before you go online, and the prices are more reasonable. Also, they have several visitor centres all over Singapore and they offer discount prices for several of the attractions. We saved quite a bit of money using their discounted tickets this past February. Pick up your HOHO bus tickets at the visitor centres as well. They also give you really good advice on the best way to see the various sites. We did the Flyer and were glad that we did because we lucked out and they were doing a dance festival and we got a good view of that as well as seeing the various ethnic costumes. We ate underneath the Flyer as recommended by locals and found the food to be good and reasonable.