Two dogs in a stroller on Sillouette

jayoldschool

[quote name='babyher']Does sound like a nice little scam doesn't it ? Take whatever pet I want , where ever I want. Get a "certification" for it as easy as point and click on the internet , so I can yell "Certified Official Emotional Support Animal" in everyone's face.

[COLOR="Red"]And then God help anyone who dare asks what the condition is or what the animal is for[/COLOR].[/QUOTE]

No...and I keep stressing this.....you and I can ask anything we want...we are not effected by any part of the law. It's the cruise line or the restaurant that needs to worry about the law.

One way to week out those who cheat is to embarrass them in front of others. If they start to throw the law at you, you can a) probably safely assume they are cheating the system and nervous about being outed...and you can explain that the law doesn't apply to you and me.

[quote name='ghstudio']Unfortunately, the law doesn't say what answer is acceptable....for example, if the individual says "the dog gets my newspaper in the morning" is that an acceptable answer? The law is so loose that it invites misuse....[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And if the dog does something very specific and the person does not want anyone to know their medical condition, which is their legal right, then they do not have to answer.

[quote name='Kevin T Brown']Exactly. And if the dog does something very specific and the person does not want anyone to know their medical condition, which is their legal right, then they do not have to answer.[/QUOTE]

If they choose not to answer, they are not covered by this law and you can keep the dog/animal out.

[quote name='ghstudio']No...and I keep stressing this.....you and I can ask anything we want...we are not effected by any part of the law. It's the cruise line or the restaurant that needs to worry about the law.

One way to week out those who cheat is to embarrass them in front of others. If they start to throw the law at you, you can a) probably safely assume they are cheating the system and nervous about being outed...and you can explain that the law doesn't apply to you and me.[/QUOTE]

I understand you and I (Joe average Citizen) can ask anything we want, but what is that going to do?

You are in a bar or restaurant and someones little emotional support dog is making a PITA out of itself. Yes we are free to to get PO'd and ask the party what is the dog for, but we don't have the authority to throw them out, or have them taken off the ship or whatever the case may be . The ones who do have that authority can't ask and probably wouldn't do anything about it for fear of bad press.

Those type of scam artists have no shame and don't embaress easily . But I am sure they would have a tear jerking story for all to hear if someone had them removed from someplace with their little Poopsie

[quote name='babyher']I understand you and I (Joe average Citizen) can ask anything we want, but what is that going to do?

You are in a bar or restaurant and someones little emotional support dog is making a PITA out of itself. Yes we are free to to get PO'd and ask the party what is the dog for, but we don't have the authority to throw them out, or have them taken off the ship or whatever the case may be . The ones who do have that authority can't ask and probably wouldn't do anything about it for fear of bad press.

Those type of scam artists have no shame and don't embaress easily . But I am sure they would have a tear jerking story for all to hear if someone had them removed from someplace with their little Poopsie[/QUOTE]

It's the only "weapon" we have...and you run a good chance of making the person feel very uncomfortable in public...perhaps with their friends. These folks don't like to be questioned and challenged....so making them uncomfortable might just stop them from bringing "poochie" to a restaurant the next time because of the "nasty" patrons :) :) :)

It's the only "weapon" we have...and you run a good chance of making the person feel very uncomfortable in public...perhaps with their friends. These folks don't like to be questioned and challenged....so making them uncomfortable might just stop them from bringing "poochie" to a restaurant the next time because of the "nasty" patrons :) :) :)

It is worth a try :)

Enjoyed reading this long thread. Wish it had a "like" button. Personally I would avoid twin dogs in little outfits and their owners. Perhaps the adults are on board as emotional support humans for the dogs? Additionally, we have an acquaintance who has a letter for her doctor explaining her medical conditions which dictate she sit in a certain place on planes when she flies. The letter is sealed and she will not allow it to be opened by the airline due to HIPA laws. Got to love it.

ruthk,

I have done many trips to Europe. Love the cats on Greek islands and Turkey at outdoor cafes.

The MDR on a cruise ship is totally different.

And those cats on Mykonos or in Istanbul do not come in strollers.:)

Have you been in Germany? Dogs are allowed at restaurants. This is not the outdoor cats in Greece or Turkey, the dogs are house pets. People do not have to prove any disability to take their pets to the restaurant. Dogs play a very important role specially for the elderly in Germany, which sometimes are alone because their families live some where else or because they do not have family at all. Fortunately Germans do not make a fuss of having dogs at restaurants. By the way in Germany there is a yearly tax called "dog tax" that the owners have to pay.

First off ......to anyone who suffers from or has a loved one who suffers from a truly debilitating disease , I am sorry. I wish you all the best and may God bless you. I am not speaking of you.

But have we become a nation that seems to want something wrong with them? To have an actual condition or syndrome with an actual name and doctors approval and a mention in a medical journal to point to and say "See , I told you I am not just making this up"

Nothing terminal and ravaging , but just some crazy obscure condition with a long name that gets you out of working overtime, or having to take gym, or gets you a good seat or parking space, or take your pet Bengal Tiger on a cruise with you.

Again I know that there are people with true illnesses and conditions , that make life terribly hard sometimes, and my heart truly goes out to them.

But come on, every other person you talk to has this condition, or being treated for that, or being tested for the other .

There is always some new syndrome someone is using as a defense .

!!! Making people feel uncomfortable on purpose? Sorry not what my education tells me to do.

One of our favorite event is the The Great Dickens Christmas Fair in San Francisco. We go every year and have a great time. According to their Facebook page, there was a problem with a service dog this year. I don't have any idea what happened, I just read about it on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/DickensFair?sk=reviews

As you can see, this turned into a fight about what a service dog is. Very ugly

Enjoyed reading this long thread. Wish it had a "like" button. Personally I would avoid twin dogs in little outfits and their owners. Perhaps the adults are on board as emotional support humans for the dogs? Additionally, we have an acquaintance who has a letter for her doctor explaining her medical conditions which dictate she sit in a certain place on planes when she flies. The letter is sealed and she will not allow it to be opened by the airline due to HIPA laws. Got to love it.

Actually, if the letter said that she has to sit in say first class because of her medical condition, that doesn't break hipa rules. If it said she has to sit in first Class because she feels intitlrd and is insane, now that breaks the rules.

Exactly. And if the dog does something very specific and the person does not want anyone to know their medical condition, which is their legal right, then they do not have to answer.

They DO have to answer if asked by the organization they wish to bring the animal to. They have the choice to answer and have the animal come, or the business has the right under the law to refuse entry of the animal for refusing to answer or not a "suitable and reasonable" answer. Very vague, but an answer IS required, but not to normal people like us, just to companies who are the gate keepers under the laws such as a hotel clerk airline check in desk or cruise check in desk staff.

Travelberlin,

No , I have not traveled to Germany. but I have met some wonderful and not so wonderful Germans on my vacations. :D

thanks for the information.

My favorite were two guys on an excursion off the coast of Dominican Republic. We had a lobster lunch with flowing wine and then snorkeling on a pristine beach. Great fun

My least favorite was a woman who was on our excursion in Tangiers during Ramadan. Women were asked to wear a top that covered your shoulders and no shorts. She boarded the bus wearing a cami, rhinstone baseball cap and glitter shorts. She got lots of looks in the Medina both form the locals and the passengers.

We never discussed dogs in any of the conversations.;)

Sorry for my one off topic post.

I love the fact the dogs are welcome in restaurants and cafés in Europe. We have a very well behaved, very large dog that we feel comfortable taking any place. However all that being said, I would not make up a bogus illness in order to bring my pet onboard, in a stroller or otherwise. Murphy, generally acknowledged to be 'the best dog in the world', has and will continue to go many places with us, but he will never go on a cruise with us!!

You kind of hit it I think...I am a huge admirer of legit Service Dogs and their owners and I hate to think of the damage the imposters can impose on their reputation.

However, any well-behaved dog in a restaurant would not give me pause for a second - Service Dog or not.

But if you see a supposedly Service Dog barking (unless performing a specific task), using the bathroom except in a designated area, eating off the floor or at the table then I think all of us have cause to call the owner out.