More specialty dinning questions

2+2

Going on Regal soon. I was told you can not reserve specialty dinning (Crown Grill) in advance of the cruise. So then when/where is the best time to reserve? Any tips to help making the reservations? Are there any "do not miss" nights in the regular dinning room? Also on the Crown Grill menu, I noticed that they do not have a steak and lobster combination. Can you ask for a lobster with your steak? Are they really Maine lobsters as the menu states?

Thank you. Please chime in

Going on Regal soon. I was told you can not reserve specialty dinning (Crown Grill) in advance of the cruise. So then when/where is the best time to reserve? Any tips to help making the reservations? Are there any "do not miss" nights in the regular dinning room? Also on the Crown Grill menu, I noticed that they do not have a steak and lobster combination. Can you ask for a lobster with your steak? Are they really Maine lobsters as the menu states?

It is true, you cannot make reservations until you are on board. If you are in a suite, the concierge can do it for you. Otherwise, as soon as possible after boarding, either go to where they will have people taking reservations (I think it was in Horizon Court, but I'm not sure), or call the DINE line to reserve. If you are flexible about time or day it will help.

The food in the MDR is really quite good. Formal nights tend to have more "special" food.

You CAN order a lobster with your steak. i did it on the Royal in July. I don't think they are Maine lobsters though, but I suppose it's possible.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Having had many a meal at Crown Grille I can answer some of these. When you board either call from your cabin or a house phone and reserve your dining reservations. We booked 3 nights when we boarded. However after having out first meal there, we booked a few more nights.

We eat late and was never an issue. I ordered filet mignon each time with lobster on the side and the question is always, "how many would you like?" :) Maine lobsters...maybe? But still outstanding. By the way I ate 2.

You probably will not have any difficulty obtaining a reservation in the Crown Grill, unless Princess has offered free Crown Grill dining for your voyage as a promo. Some passengers prefer to dine in the Crown Grill on formal nights since dress is smart casual all the time. The Regal Princess also has specialty dining in Sabatini's (Italian), $25/pp, The Crab Shack (buckets of shell fish), $20/pp, Fondues, $20/pp, as well as the Wine Maker's Dinner and the Chef's Table. The Crab Shack and Fondues are some evenings only and are held in a blocked off seating section of the buffet area.

We did two short back-to-back cruises last week on the Caribbean Princess. They allowed us to make reservations for the Crown Grill and Sabatini's on the last night of our first cruise for the second cruise. We met many people on the second cruise who were disappointed that they could not get in to one of the specialty restaurants. There were only 146 passengers doing the back-to-back cruises, so I doubt that those of us doing b2b took up all the available reservations. The people I spoke with who tried for reservations before 2:30 on embarkation day were able to get them. The ones who could not get them generally tried later in the cruise.

I think short cruises increase the demand for the specialty restaurants because many people want to try a bit of everything.

I booked directly at Crown Grill and Sabatini when I boarded the ship. If you eat 8:00 or later I don't think it is a problem to reserve on any night. You can, as others have said, call in your reservation.

You can have lobster with your steak at Crown Grill. The tails are very small and the night I had one it was inedible. I believe you can have it steamed or grilled. The one the waiter brought was sooo salty. The lobster tail in the MDR on 2nd formal night was much better!

On my sailing the 3rd night was Italian night in the MDR. First formal night is the 50th anniversary dinner menu which a lot of people seem to dislike. I thought it was fine.

Most fish dishes were NOT good although I did have a perfectly cooked piece of salmon in the MDR at the embarkation lunch.

On our 11 day Scandanavia and Russia on Royal in July, fondue was only offered the last night of the cruise. Other than the chocolate fondue, which was great, we were not impressed at all. To be fair, we've been spoiled by The Melting Pot, but this was just so so, and the service was pathetically slow. Definitely not something you want to do on the last night, or any time you have plans for the evening!

Going on Regal soon. I was told you can not reserve specialty dinning (Crown Grill) in advance of the cruise.

I don't know about Regal, but on Royal, there was huge demand for

crown grill. The head waiter there told me that the issue was because

the crown grill was the same size it had been on smaller ships, and

Royal had more people.

He was available at Crown Grill starting at 1:00PM on embarcation day,

and made the reservations.

When I went to the crown grill on Carribbean, the waiter there simply

called the dine line, and repeated what I said.