Sunset -Places to View

hill6

The best place is Mallory Square or the Westin Hotel pier next door. If you want to be seated at a restaurant, etc I would say the Sunset Pier attached to the Ocean Key House.

I wouldn't want anything blocking my view.

Mike:)

The best sunsets I've seen in Key West have ben from a boat.

Pjk

Never thought of a boat. Any recommendations for a sunset cruise?

I love to sit on a bench in Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. I'm not fond of the crowds, hub bub and circus-like atmosphere at Mallory Square. One thing about the park, however, is that park rangers do run you out of the park just minutes after sunset. That can spoil the moment.

I will look at that as an option too.

Do you know if you will be here overnight or late enough to do a sunset sail?

Will be there two nights in May.

Still looking at hotels. Looking at about $300 a night. Any recommendations?

Southernmost is one of the most reasonable that is located in old town.

Southernmost on the Beach looks gorgeous but a bit out of what I was looking to spend. How is Southernmost Hotel?

Edited by hill6

I used to live in Key West. Both Southernmost Hotels are on the Atlantic side of the island; most of the action is at the other end of Duval (one mile plus) near Mallory Square. Personally I think the nicest rooms are at Ocean Key Resort at Zero Duval Street.

I used to live in Key West. Both Southernmost Hotels are on the Atlantic side of the island; most of the action is at the other end of Duval (one mile plus) near Mallory Square. Personally I think the nicest rooms are at Ocean Key Resort at Zero Duval Street.

But the OP was wanting to keep the accomodations at $300 per night and Ocean Key, Westin, Pier House,Galleon and Hyatt are $5-750pn.

hill6, Southernmost Hotel has good accomodations it is just across the street from the beach which is for your use as well.

If you are in town http://www.floridays.org/sunset.htm is the best.

All of the other operators run cattle boats where they see how many they can cram onboard.

For something special and a little more than just a sunset there's Danger charter's Wind and Wine sunset sail ---> http://www.dangercharters.com/wind-wine-sunset-sail/ They actually have several decent labels on this trip .

Or the Appledore V, a nice two-masted sailing ship, with Sebago ---> http://keywestsebago.com/tour/captains-choice-sunset-sail/index.html

They have a great assortment of "finger foods" as snacks and beer, wine, and champagne, and make pitchers of Sangria.

Note that both of these trips are rated for fewer passengers than the Floridays; 20 and 24 vs. 36. Then there's the Javacat which takes a max of 6 people, the Echo II which will take up to 11, the Flyer, 24, the Pelican 20. And Breezin', a private charter boat, again 6.

Pjk

Edited by peter_krynicki

But the OP was wanting to keep the accomodations at $300 per night and Ocean Key, Westin, Pier House,Galleon and Hyatt are $5-750pn.

hill6, Southernmost Hotel has good accomodations it is just across the street from the beach which is for your use as well.

Thanks Mike. I will look at it again. :)

For something special and a little more than just a sunset there's Danger charter's Wind and Wine sunset sail ---> http://www.dangercharters.com/wind-wine-sunset-sail/ They actually have several decent labels on this trip .

Or the Appledore V, a nice two-masted sailing ship, with Sebago ---> http://keywestsebago.com/tour/captains-choice-sunset-sail/index.html

They have a great assortment of "finger foods" as snacks and beer, wine, and champagne, and make pitchers of Sangria.

Note that both of these trips are rated for fewer passengers than the Floridays; 20 and 24 vs. 36. Then there's the Javacat which takes a max of 6 people, the Echo II which will take up to 11, the Flyer, 24, the Pelican 20. And Breezin', a private charter boat, again 6.

Pjk

Thanks so much

If you do hang out at Mallory Square for sunset viewing (usually crowded, yes....but the views are very good), be forewarned that if there are several cruise ships docked at that particular time, they will likely obstruct the views.

Edited by RoobyDoo

If you do hang out at Mallory Square for sunset viewing (usually crowded, yes....but the views are very good), be forewarned that if there are several cruise ships docked at that particular time, they will likely obstruct the views.

Thanks for that info. I looked at sunset times and the cruise ship schedule and it looks like we will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

The Moet Sunset cruise by Echo cruises has the BEST sunset sail. It's a small cat style sail boat that usually books approximately 16-20 people. They serve premium wine and champagne, a platter of lovely cheeses and crackers and fresh berries. Many of the other cruises water down the wine, beer, and margaritas and serve horrible mass produced food.

The Moet Sunset cruise by Echo cruises has the BEST sunset sail. It's a small cat style sail boat that usually books approximately 16-20 people. They serve premium wine and champagne, a platter of lovely cheeses and crackers and fresh berries. Many of the other cruises water down the wine, beer, and margaritas and serve horrible mass produced food.

Thanks for that info.

Danger serves, among other things, a nice fruit platter...

?tn=519901784

While Sebago's trips aren't too shabby either ...

?tn=-292945251

?tn=576488579

Beware of generalizations.

Pjk

Edited by peter_krynicki

• 3 weeks later...