Help please leaving out of Houston.

ilinda

I need some help trying to figure out which airport is better to fly into. Hobby (which I can get a direct flight) or Houston Intercontinental. I believe the drive from the main Houston airport is about 1 hour, so can you recommend a car service/limo. Also while I am asking, where to stay one night prior to cruising and is there anything to do in that location. Thank you so much for any help.

Linda

Norwegian Sea for the Fall!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

ENCHANTMENT THE SEA MAY 2004

RCL ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS 2003

PRINCESS REGAL 2002

NCL SEAWARD 1993

NCL SOUTHWARD 1992

• 2 weeks later...

What ship are you on? Are you leaving out of the port of Houston or Galvaston? If you land at IAH here is a site you can check out:

Houston Airport Van Services. (866) 301-4715. Advance 2 week reservation (Ray)

Linda, Hobby is south of Houston at the loop and on I-45 to Galveston. Much closer to Galveston than IAH which is north of the city. We will sail on the Rhapsody on the 8/1 but plan to drive from Arkansas. We have stayed precruise in the JWMarriott at the Galleria and last year at Clear Lake near NASA at the Town Place Suites. very nice. Since you are arriving by plane you will have to make your choice as to whether to go on to Galveston that day or on Sunday morning. Houston has a lot to see and many fine restaurants if you want to stay over there, often more competitively priced that beach properties in Galveston. But Galveston also has the historic Strand area that you might also enjoy visiting too. Hope this has been of help to you. If I can be of any other assistance please let me know.

LRSkier

I'd recommend finding a hotel in Galveston and one that provides free transportation to the cruise terminal. That way you only have a taxi fare when you arrive from the airport to the hotel and not also from the hotel to the ship the next day. In all cruise port towns there are many hotels that offer this service as a way to encourage cruisers to stay at their property.

Not sure what you are looking for, but if you want something different try the Stacia Leigh Bed N Breakfast (http://www.stacia-leigh.com). It's actually a FLOATING bed n breakfast. It's an old yacht that was once owned by Mussillini, has been restored and now docked in Galveston harbor. The cruise terminal is walking distance from there. We stayed there for my husband's 40th birthday several years ago and is by far the favorite b-n-b we've ever stayed at! There is lots of great shopping and restaurants within walking distance as well. Or, if you'd like to venture to the beach they have a trolley that will take you to that part of town. If nothing else take the round trip trolley ride to get a good overview of Galveston and hear a little bit of history of the area. I think round trip is about $2.

ilinda - I just noticed that you are going on the SEA, which leaves out of LaPorte, Houston, not Galvaston. I've read that on these boards that a lot of people stay at the LaQuinta in LaPorte (and really liked it!), which is not far from the pier. Here is their website: http://laquinta.com/lq/reservations/property_overview/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ599&propId=599

I've also read that if you tell them you got the information from the cruise critics message boards, you may get a discount. That has worked for some people. Good luck!

"Not sure what you are looking for, but if you want something different try the Stacia Leigh Bed N Breakfast (http://www.stacia-leigh.com). It's actually a FLOATING bed n breakfast. It's an old yacht that was once owned by Mussillini, has been restored and now docked in Galveston harbor. "

Actually, I found out by accident this weekend that the stacia-leigh sank on April 25, 2004. I have a reservation in September and am having a hard time getting the owners to respond and getting my deposit back! I have attached the threads...really a bummer it was such a beautiful B&B.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=53859

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=25600

Take Care,

Lexi

I knew they had sunk, but it was only "partially". I looked at their website and it appeared they were back in business. I'm sorry to hear they are not and even more sorry to hear they are not wanting to refund your deposit. Perhaps they will be back open by September?

Hi Cheri,

Thanks! I was hoping they would be back in business too. But after calling around this weekend, I was told by several people in Galveston that it had been towed away. (probably for repairs) I thought if I could speak to the owners I could get some idea of whether they would be back in operation by September but they will not take my call. :( He acts confused and then hangs up on me....so....I am not sure what to think. Worst is that they drafted my deposit on May 4th....after it had already sank!

I don't know what else to do but I am letting my bank handle it and am hoping for the best!!

Lexi

I met the owners several years ago and they were the nicest people. Hard to believe they would respond that way. So sorry for you! Have you tried contacting the Galveston Chamber of Commerce? Perhaps they know something? You may also try contacting the Galveston Better Business Bureau.

Archived