Proposing to girlfriend - Adventure of the Seas

colesc15

Hi everyone. Im going to be in Adventure of the Seas in the next few months, and I'm considering proposing to my girlfriend of over three years during the vacation. No guarantees I decide to on the ship, but I'm looking for ideas and places of where I could do it. I'm not big on a bunch of attention because we are both fairly quiet and reserved. We're making stops in St Thomas, St Kitts, Aruba and curacao. We've both been on many cruises before, including adventure of the Seas. One other thing I'm curious as to how it would work is how to get the ring down there with me via the flights without her knowing. I don't usually have a carry on bag, and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it in the checked luggage incase the luggage gets lost by the airline.

I know there's idea threads out there, but I'm looking for more specific to my situation and ship and itinerary. :)

My daughter's husband proposed to her on the Carnival Sensation. They wanted to have their pictures taken on formal night, so while she was getting dressed, he went down to where the photographers were setting up and told them what he wanted to do. When it was their turn, they took some shots. Then they were posing them for another shot had her turn around, thinking he would be standing behind her. Then they told her to turn around and he was on his knee with the ring. They snapped that photo and it was great to see her reaction. It was as good as if we were there to share the moment. Good luck! Hope she says YES!

That's definitely a top idea so far! Any idea where I could keep the ring until that late in the cruise? I wouldn't be able to put it in the safe because she'd see it in there

who is the photographer in the family? Do you carry a large camera bag?? If so, many of them have lots of pockets. Would be somewhere to hide the ring while trying to pack and board. That is if you are the one using the camera. Plus, you wouldn't let the camera bag out of your site when boarding or at the airport.

Or electronics chargers and such. could it be put in with those things? Guess you would need to know what bags your GF goes into and if there are any that just you take care of .

the safe idea at the pursers desk is a great idea.

also love the idea at the photographers stand. always love having a picture of the special moment.

My daughter's husband proposed to her on the Carnival Sensation. They wanted to have their pictures taken on formal night, so while she was getting dressed, he went down to where the photographers were setting up and told them what he wanted to do. When it was their turn, they took some shots. Then they were posing them for another shot had her turn around, thinking he would be standing behind her. Then they told her to turn around and he was on his knee with the ring. They snapped that photo and it was great to see her reaction. It was as good as if we were there to share the moment. Good luck! Hope she says YES!

This may be the winner! Having the photo captured would be awesome. If I go down, are they open to helping out and doing what you explained? I feel like some photographers are awesome and others are just miserable people

I proposed to my now wife on the Freedom of the Seas. I originally planned to pop the question before we left home at a special spot in our town. But Hurricane Sandy delayed the arrival of her ring AND wiped out the spot which sits on the bank of the Potomac River.

So I ended up putting the ring in the front pocket of my backpack and carrying it on the ship. No metal detector issues though the TSA agent at Dulles airport almost ruined the surprise by looking at me and saying "nice ring." To this day I'm not sure how she didn't find the box. We stood on line for almost 2 hours waiting to board and then our room wasn't ready until 2pm or so.

I chose to propose while still in Port Canaveral for a couple of reasons:

a.) I knew she would want to call her family.

b.) I knew she would want the entire vacation to enjoy the moment and wearing her new ring

c.) I couldn't contain my own excitement.

I chose to do it in our room because we're private people and I didn't want 3000 people to be apart of my proposal. We had an aft balcony which afforded a little extra room to setup my camera for a "selfie." I positioned the camera, set the timer and took a picture to be sure the camera had the entire balcony within range. I walked back over to the camera to check the picture but actually hit the video record button. I sat back down next to her, poured a glass of champagne and proceeded to do the deed.

Best of luck to the both of you!

Edited by M&JfromSDL

How about on top of mountaintop on St. Thomas? It's a beautiful view plus you could have one their famous banana daiquiris in one hand and the ring in the other.:D

Edited by Sky616

I like to be prepared for any possibility. Have to make sure that all the bases are covered. So, I have to ask this: Are you sure she's going to say yes? I know when I proposed to my bride I knew she was going to say yes. If you are sure of the answer my vote is for the balcony. If the unthinkable happens and she does say no, you can always throw her off, otherwise it's going to be a long cruise!

All kidding aside, where ever you do it you will always remember the moment. Good luck to the both of you!

What Grand Suite are you going to be in? I'm in a Grand Suite on Adventure in October and I would like to know if I was in "the spot". (May bring me luck!)

Elvis

Here are a couple of options:

1. Dress up for formal night, and ask for your stateroom attendant to set up dinner on the balcony, complete with flowers, one of which can be a 'rose ring box' (google it) in which you can keep the ring. Set up your camera (on video mode) and ask your soon to be fiance to strike a post (tell her its on timer), then get down on a knee and propose to her while the sun sets outside your balcony. It's a moment that the two of you can enjoy and cherish. You guys can then go out and take the formal photographs with the new ring and enjoy the rest of the formal night.

2. Its going to be difficult, but worth a shot. Maybe you can request the Captain to spare 10 minutes and drop into your cabin/ a specific secluded area on the ship. Maybe he can bring along a couple of security guys and proceeds to tell your fiance that there seems to be a problem with her papers and she's not who her papers state that she is. He can then proceed to ask her for her full name and address and say that it doesn't match his records. To his knowledge, her full name isn't (her current name) but her name (with your surname). Once she looks at you, go down on your knee and propose. Don't forget to take a couple of pictures with the Captain (who I believe can also officiate a wedding) :cool:

While going through customs coming back from a cruise a couple we had met had bought the ring while in one of the islands and when asked by the official had they bought anything, the woman flaunted her ring. Let's just say that ANY savings they thought they got on the ring was blown on duty!

Edited by wendychloecruiser

I agree with the balcony at sunset. I would suggest somewhere on the ship only because what if you make some grand plan for, say, Aruba, and you're not familiar with the island or there's bad weather or something? You'll probably be a little nervous as it is...It might be nice to have a plan (or three) for a familiar place.

Does she like to dress up for formal night? The suggestions other people have listed are really good--if she likes to be dressed up, that will make for great pictures. (Even though I hate dressing up, if I got engaged, I would not want all the pictures of me with no makeup on and my hair in a bun). Do you guys have a cruise tradition? (Like you always have a drink in port, or you always eat in a specialty restaurant one night, or you always do X on the ship...) Maybe incorporate that.

And agreed about the whole family thing...not my business if you're going to ask dad's permission first, but she may have family/friends she wants to call when it happens, so do keep that in mind.

Also...does she ever get her nails done? Maybe splurge for a mani/pedi for her before the trip if it wouldn't make her too suspicious? She's going to be showing that ring (and her hand) to tons of people, and I know all my friends who've gotten engaged have said they wish they had known in advance so their nails looked good! ;)

Whatever you do, good luck and have fun. What a lucky girl! :)

I proposed to my wife on Adventure of the Seas 13 years ago.

A couple things to consider:

1) Is she an introvert or extrovert? My wife is an introvert and would have been mortified if I proposed to her in a public place in front of people. So, I chose to simply propose to her in our stateroom on the first night before dinner. We were traveling with a group of 14 friends and made our announcement at dessert. Recommendation: you know what she likes and doesn't like: Make sure your proposal will be made in an environment that will be comfortable for her.

2) My wife is a planner. I'm glad I proposed on the first night of the cruise because it gave her the whole week to start thinking about our wedding, etc. If she is a planner, think about bringing a Bridal magazine or two for her to peruse while sitting by the pool or on the beach.

Best of luck!

-Nels

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi everyone. Im going to be in Adventure of the Seas in the next few months, and I'm considering proposing to my girlfriend of over three years during the vacation. No guarantees I decide to on the ship, but I'm looking for ideas and places of where I could do it. I'm not big on a bunch of attention because we are both fairly quiet and reserved. We're making stops in St Thomas, St Kitts, Aruba and curacao. We've both been on many cruises before, including adventure of the Seas. One other thing I'm curious as to how it would work is how to get the ring down there with me via the flights without her knowing. I don't usually have a carry on bag, and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it in the checked luggage incase the luggage gets lost by the airline.

I know there's idea threads out there, but I'm looking for more specific to my situation and ship and itinerary. :)

Hi,

My son proposed to his now wife on a RC cruise a few years ago. No pictures they just went to the bar at the back of the ship before the sunset. However, after the proposal he planned a romantic dinner in Chops. Ordered a great bottle on wine. He had no problems bring the ring on the ship he carried it on in his backpack no alarms went off.

However, the next day both families were sent a pictures of the hand with the new engagement ring on her finger.

sailnjmom49

I agree with the balcony at sunset. I would suggest somewhere on the ship only because what if you make some grand plan for, say, Aruba, and you're not familiar with the island or there's bad weather or something? You'll probably be a little nervous as it is...It might be nice to have a plan (or three) for a familiar place.

Does she like to dress up for formal night? The suggestions other people have listed are really good--if she likes to be dressed up, that will make for great pictures. (Even though I hate dressing up, if I got engaged, I would not want all the pictures of me with no makeup on and my hair in a bun). Do you guys have a cruise tradition? (Like you always have a drink in port, or you always eat in a specialty restaurant one night, or you always do X on the ship...) Maybe incorporate that.

And agreed about the whole family thing...not my business if you're going to ask dad's permission first, but she may have family/friends she wants to call when it happens, so do keep that in mind.

Also...does she ever get her nails done? Maybe splurge for a mani/pedi for her before the trip if it wouldn't make her too suspicious? She's going to be showing that ring (and her hand) to tons of people, and I know all my friends who've gotten engaged have said they wish they had known in advance so their nails looked good! ;)

Whatever you do, good luck and have fun. What a lucky girl! :)

Thanks! I think I'll be doing it with the help of the photographer, or on the balcony. Haven't fully decided. We go on a cruise each year but nothing really traditional on the cruises. I'm just a little worried about how I'll get the ring down to San Juan with me since I don't usually have a carry on bag for the airport

My cousin got engaged on the beach this summer. It was a family trip with her, her boyfriend, and their families. Some other friends "just happened" to be in town, and one is a photographer. No one knew about the proposal except for the dad, the boyfriend, and the photographer (this was planned by the guys). The photographer suggested since everyone was together, to do family pictures. So they grouped up and did family pics, sibling pics, etc. The very last ones were to be group pics, and once a few were taken, he got down on his knee and proposed while the photographer caught EVERYONE'S reaction. The pictures are fabulous. They all have so much emotion on their faces....I would definately suggest a photographer/video so that it can be shared!

If you don't usually take a carry on, take a backpack. Put an extra change of clothes in it, medicine, Ipad...whatever you need to do to not make her suspicious.