comparison by experience

Ritabob

I would like to hear from those who have experienced multiple river cruise companies and then have chosen one to be their 'favourite'. And why.

Many of us have our favourites...tried it, liked it, no reason to change their allegiance ...but would like to hear from those who tried one line, then another, and maybe even a third to find the right fit.

I have been on 9 cruises on 2 lines. The first 4 were on Avalon and ranged from very good (first) to very disappointing (the most recent) with the other 2 in between.

Our last 5 have been on AMA and that is now our line of choice. What we prefer about AMA:

- Overall quality of food and wine aboard

- Range of included excursions (Gentle, Active, Biking and Limited Edition)

- Theme cruises which they do VERY well (had been on 2 theme cruises with Avalon)

- Warmth and energy of staff and crew

- Cruise managers that have been mostly OUTSTANDING.

- Attention to detail

- Decor of their ships

- Chef's Table restaurant

- Layout of restaurant

- Evening entertainment

We have one more booked with AMA for this year and are currently trying to decide on an itinerary for 2016.

We often travel with friends and family and those that have been with us on both lines prefer AMA, without exception. My mom told me that after her cruise on AmaCerto (her 3rd river cruise), she threw out the stack of brochures from everyone else.:D

I hope this thread gets a number of response because I have a similar question. I took a Uniworld cruise in July and absolutely loved it and have now booked two more. One for December Christmas Cruise and just booked their unique Venice Lagoon cruise(many don't like seeing it called a river cruise) for 2016.

So if anyone has sailed Uniworld and other lines would love the comparison. Particularly between Ama and Tauck as they are the other two lines I've looked at.

I have been on 12+ river cruises on 3 different companies....GCCL, AMA, and GT Cruises (no longer in business).

Nine have been on GCCL and one on AMA. I went on AMA the first year they were in operation because some friends wanted a hotel style bed and not a fold down murphy bed.

In short I id not like the food, wine, staff or general atmosphere on AMA. I always travel solo and receive a much better welcome on GCCL.

I'm sure AMA has gotten better with age but I intend to stick with GCCL. GCCL is not for everyone but like most river cruise lines they have a very loyal following.

Edited by rogerdawhip

I went on AMA the first year they were in operation.

I was the first person who dined in Bistro on 5 on Celebrity Summit. The experience was terrible. The crepes weren't very good and despite the restaurant being empty the service was slow. Since then almost every review of Bistro on 5 has been very good to excellent. So I don't repeat my now-outdated review any more, because it wouldn't be helpful to anybody (except as a warning to be wary of new lines/ships/restaurants). Just sayin'

We have travelled Uniworld (x3), AMA (x1), Scenic (X2), Avalon (X1) and Viking (x1). We have 2 more Viking cruises booked this year.

We look for itinerary, then dates - then cost. We have found that there are as many similarities as differences - although I am sure some would disagree. I still maintain one of the most important "details" is the CD - and you have no control over that.

I love Uniworld - however, their prices have crept up to the point that they are not usually in reach anymore. Price does matter to us (we usually travel Aquarium Class) so I compare price point carefully after we decide on an itinerary.

The reason we have 2 Viking cruises booked this year is simple. The cruise in May in on the Elbe - and there are very few companies that cruise the Elbe. We are doing China in October - but doubt we would have booked a 2nd cruise this year if we didn't have a *VERY* large credit voucher to use. But - am looking forward to travelling with them again... and should have a positive experience if my 1st cruise is any indication of their service level.

We did the south of France with Avalon last year - and I was prepared for "less" given the lower price point when compared with other companies. There was, however, nothing "less" about our cruise - and would happily sail again with Avalon.

This is so subjective. If you find a company you are happy with - and can find itineraries & dates that work for you - there is really no reason to switch. But, cost is a bit more of a driver for us - so really watch for sales.

Fran

This thread really caught my eye because I have been going back and forth between choosing Viking or AMA for our first river cruise. I would so appreciate it if someone who has experienced both, would compare the two for me. Cheer leaders for either company are more than welcome. Thanks so very much in advance.

Judy from SW Florida

Judy... Compare the number of passengers on Viking vs AMA and also compare the size of the category of cabin you are wanting to sail in. A Viking ship holds about 190 to 200 passengers (new longboats) while the AMA ships hold 140 to 160 passengers. Both ships (if newer) are approx the same size.

So 1st - find the route you want to sail and time of the year.

2 - which companies are sailing that route and which ships are sailing the dates you want to go.

3 - compare ships, age, size, # of passengers, size of your cabin category.

4 - compare what's incl in the fare? Which excursions are incl and what's not. Wine? Beer? Included with lunch & dinner or dinner only? Airport transfers, hotel transfers? All the exclusions and inclusions add up.

Most important compare the itineraries and each port. Are they the same and what excursions are offered.

This is not an Apples to Apples comparison by any means. My DH and myself did all these comparisons. I wanted to book AMA and found I could book Avalon for about $1200pp less and just could not justify the difference. I never considered Viking because of the passenger count difference and the cabin size difference. We are sailing on one of Avalon's new Panorama ships and the cabin size was important.

I found it easiest to get the cruise lines actual brochures so I could compare offerings side by side rather than trying to hunt for things on websites that did not seen to be user friendly.

Have fun with your research, no matter which cruise line you choose you will not be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so very much for that absolutely wonderful information. I had considered some of your suggestions but not all of them and I was having a hard time trying to find the information on their web pages. Have you ever actually done AMA? If so, how did it compare to Avalon? Thanks again JVilleGal.

Judy from SW Florida

Judy I have not yet... Have spent the last couple years here on CC researching and researching some more! Our first River cruise was cancelled due a family situation and that was the beginning of some real learning.

We are finally booked for this Sept on Avalon. But I have learned so much!

Somehow I think those websites

might be intentionally difficult. But with the brochures you can open up to the cruise you want and compare side by side. The same with the boats and cabins you may potentially occupy. There are also some great YouTube videos and yes even the beautiful videos that Viking does.

Remember just because a thread seems to be talking about a Viking Rhine cruise does not mean it is not giving a cruiser on another line great info.

Cruise lines to consider:

Tauck

Scenic

AMA

Avalon

Vantage

Viking

Grand Circle

There are other good companies just entering the North American market.

Read the old threads from last summer and the summer before. Order up those beautiful shiny brochures so you can see everything at the once and side by side the Internet just can't replace the beauty of "touch it, feel it" a printed brochure!

Enjoy, this has been such a wonderful journey and I can't wait to board our ship this coming Fall.

There are many experience cruisers on the board who have sailed multiple lines. Read about their trips!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

Check out the sticky at the top of this forum for a lot of information for new river cruisers. In particular the comprehensive guide describes the major river cruise lines in a uniform format and compares them to ocean cruise lines and hotel chains to help you get a feel for how they stack up in the market.

One other issue to consider is how different lines handle weather crises. Search this forum for threads about the 2013 high water crisis to see how passengers on various cruise lines rated the treatment they got.

\ Have you ever actually done AMA? If so, how did it compare to Avalon? Thanks again JVilleGal.

Judy from SW Florida

I suspect either would be a good experience for a first time river cruiser. For us, the devil is in the details and we much prefer AMA for the reasons I listed above.

I have reviews on CC for each of our cruises with both lines if you are interested. They are very detailed.

pick itinerary you want, money you can spend, check ALL details.

Then pick ONE, if not fantastic,try another.

We have been on 11 so far, all the major lines, love Scenic(but can NOW afford it,truly luxury),but next would be AMA(was featured on Travel Channel,so must be pretty good,,).Have been on AMA twice and just a touch below Scenic . My first was Viking(but to Russia)and ships old then so was NOT impressed.Would take the again ONLY for itinerary.But many love them.Avalon, Uniworld,etc.were all fine(just more middle of road).

Look at you tube too, can see boat,etc.You DO TEND TO GET what you pay for.

Good luck.

So far I've only been on one cruise, Viking Amsterdam to Budapest. That was a great cruise, and I was very happy with Viking.

I'm now looking at my second cruise. I decided that I wanted to finish the Danube, so now I knew my iteniary, Budapest to Bucharest. I'm pretty sure every line has this trip, The Black Sea....whatever. Most people on the boards say it is best to go Bucharest to Budapest, so you can finish on a high note. SO know I also know direction of travel.

I looked at the different lines, and some I wrote off just because I didn't like the decorations. I settled on Viking and Vantage...I liked Vantage because they spent the most time actually on the boat, 10 nigths versus 7 for Viking. Vantage's cruise is also one night longer. Then I made up this spreadsheet:

(Sorry about ..... hard time formatting)

..............VIKING ................................ Vantage

..............9/26/2016 ......................... 10/3/2016

Boat .......Longship ................. .......... River Spendor, Discovry 2

Length.....10 Night ................. .......... 11 Night

Breakdown .......7 Cruise, 3 Hotel ....................10 Cruise, 1 Hotel

Booze.........Free Lunch and Dinner ................ Free Dinner

Food .........Not included 2 L, 3 D ......................All included

Stateroom.........French Balcony, 135 sq ft.... FB 165 sq ft

........Aquarium ......150 sq ft .............. Aquarium 165 sq ft

Cost.... Aquarium.........$3,150 .......... $3200 w/ Early Pay

Cost.... French Bal...... $3,850 ........... $3420 w/ Early Pay

Transylvania Extension.........3 nights...........4 nights

................1 Transylvania, 2 Bucharest.............3 Transylvania, 1 Bucharest

Included Food ........................3 Breakfast..............4B, 2L, 1D

............................ $799..................... $550

So, after all this, it looked like Vantage was a better deal, especially including the Translyvania extension, the pay early discount (VIking wants the $ up front w/ little to no discount, if you pay 12 mths early w/ Vantage you get 10% off). There is also a smaller price increase to jump up to the French Balcony class of cabins, and Vantages are larger.

A couple of people really seams to like Vantage on this board, so I took the plunge and booked Vantage. Hopefully it'll work out well. I think all of the larger lines will give a good vacation, you're in Europe.

:) Have fun planning!

THANKS to everyone for all the great tips. I am just amazed at so many wonderful people who are eager to share with so many good ideas. I don't know why I am so surprised since I have been on Cruise Critic for a very long time and know the knowledge that can be gained.

Every time I think I may have found the right fit I see something else and it's back to square 1 (or maybe square 2) :D Have been pouring over Youtube and discovered the Avalon Panorama suites with the huge windows. Anyone have experience with those? Wondering if they are really worth the money. I know I definitely want a viewable window in my cabin and not one where I must stand on the bed to see out. :) I am fairly sure I want to do Amsterdam to Basil so deciding an itinerary isn't a sticking point. Back to my research but thanks again, for every bit of ideas you share.

Judy from SW Florida

So far I've only been on one cruise, Viking Amsterdam to Budapest. That was a great cruise, and I was very happy with Viking.

I'm now looking at my second cruise. I decided that I wanted to finish the Danube, so now I knew my iteniary, Budapest to Bucharest. I'm pretty sure every line has this trip, The Black Sea....whatever. Most people on the boards say it is best to go Bucharest to Budapest, so you can finish on a high note. SO know I also know direction of travel.

I looked at the different lines, and some I wrote off just because I didn't like the decorations. I settled on Viking and Vantage...I liked Vantage because they spent the most time actually on the boat, 10 nigths versus 7 for Viking. Vantage's cruise is also one night longer. Then I made up this spreadsheet:

(Sorry about ..... hard time formatting)

..............VIKING ................................ Vantage

..............9/26/2016 ......................... 10/3/2016

Boat .......Longship ................. .......... River Spendor, Discovry 2

Length.....10 Night ................. .......... 11 Night

Breakdown .......7 Cruise, 3 Hotel ....................10 Cruise, 1 Hotel

Booze.........Free Lunch and Dinner ................ Free Dinner

Food .........Not included 2 L, 3 D ......................All included

Stateroom.........French Balcony, 135 sq ft.... FB 165 sq ft

........Aquarium ......150 sq ft .............. Aquarium 165 sq ft

Cost.... Aquarium.........$3,150 .......... $3200 w/ Early Pay

Cost.... French Bal...... $3,850 ........... $3420 w/ Early Pay

Transylvania Extension.........3 nights...........4 nights

................1 Transylvania, 2 Bucharest.............3 Transylvania, 1 Bucharest

Included Food ........................3 Breakfast..............4B, 2L, 1D

............................ $799..................... $550

So, after all this, it looked like Vantage was a better deal, especially including the Translyvania extension, the pay early discount (VIking wants the $ up front w/ little to no discount, if you pay 12 mths early w/ Vantage you get 10% off). There is also a smaller price increase to jump up to the French Balcony class of cabins, and Vantages are larger.

A couple of people really seams to like Vantage on this board, so I took the plunge and booked Vantage. Hopefully it'll work out well. I think all of the larger lines will give a good vacation, you're in Europe.

:) Have fun planning!

DW and I are considering our first river cruise. 15 day Amsterdam-Budapest. Re: Viking French Balconies. Does it have room for 2 chairs to sit? Re: Aquarium. What does that mean?

King of Cool,,,for first river cruise I d suggest an 8 day one with a few days pre and post cruise in that city.That way if its NOT for you(yes, SOME don t like them for various reasons)..you re not "STUCK" on it.As some have shared.

Also, if you want a full balcony check for THAT in particular on ea ship...for Viking it would be one of the longboats(newer).

Caviar girl,,,mentioned that about being able to change river companies.Many feel if they re not happy with first one,,just never try again. I waited a few yrs. between them and GLAD I tried again with another line(and didn t give up)

King of Cool,,,for first river cruise I d suggest an 8 day one with a few days pre and post cruise in that city.That way if its NOT for you(yes, SOME don t like them for various reasons)..you re not "STUCK" on it.As some have shared.

Caviar girl,,,mentioned that about being able to change river companies.Many feel if they re not happy with first one,,just never try again. I waited a few yrs. between them and GLAD I tried again with another line(and didn t give up)

Agree with the suggestion of no more than one week for your first. Our 1st river cruise was 5 nights and that was a nice introduction. We spent time pre and post in Europe.

I am also glad I did not stop river cruising after experiencing one line. For us, the differences were significant and while they may not matter to some cruisers, for us they were very relevant.