Cruise Critic Community
BBMacLaird

Azamara Asks! Q2 - Promotional Offers

We are currently running the "Choices" promotion. In the past we have run a "Double Upgrade" promotion as well as a "Buy One, Get One Half Off" promotion.

a) What type of sales promotion motivates you to lock in a future Azamara Club Cruise?

b) Do you have any new promotional ideas we should consider?

We are currently running the "Choices" promotion. In the past we have run a "Double Upgrade" promotion as well as a "Buy One, Get One Half Off" promotion.

a) What type of sales promotion motivates you to lock in a future Azamara Club Cruise?

b) Do you have any new promotional ideas we should consider?

Give us a BOGOHO promotion now that includes Club Continent suites and I'll book two--maybe three--cruises right now.

Whatever you do, don't emulate Regent and Oceania with their "2-for-1" scams. They must think people are idiots to believe that nonsense.

We have in the past booked using all of the offers but as we prefer Club Suites the BOGOHO offer has been our favourite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since BOGOHO applies to suites but the Double Upgrade does not, definitely prefer BOGOHO. We booked our next cruise (Panama Canal) under the BOGOHO.

The current Choices promotion doesn't entice us. We don't really need OBC with all that is included and we are planners so we are not going to wait until we get on the ship to book shore excursions. Upgrades don't apply to suites. So the air fare would be the only choice.

So, for a promotion to get our attention, suites would need to be included.

We do not book suites, so we would prefer the double upgrade unless the BOGOHO would apply to balcony cabins. Free or discounted airfare would also be an enticement for us. Unlike some Azamarians, cruising on a small ship like this represents a real stretch for our budget. We are much more interested in savings on the current cruise than pie in the sky possibilities for future cruises.

We do not book suites, so we would prefer the double upgrade unless the BOGOHO would apply to balcony cabins.
Just for your information, the BOGOHO we used to book three Journey cruises in February 2016 included all stateroom categories (I'm pretty sure.)

I booked the double upgrade and got a balcony when I usually go midship oceanview. That was the deal that we signed up for but later the BOGOHO deal was used and it saved us money on the balcony. So I guess both of those offers enticed us. Free airfare never gets my attention as I always want to book my own flights and we usually go early and stay after the cruise to see the part of the world we happen to be in. I often use points or I put together flights EXACTLY the way I want them to be and cruise air just can not do that let alone beat my price. So No to "free" air.

Double upgrade; $1000 choice both work for me. Buy one/ half off second works too. Don't like subsidising some customers via air, when it is apparently never available in our country (happy to be corrected on this if I'm wrong).

We only book Suites so the BOGOHO would work for us. The double upgrade would not benefit us at all

Doesn't work for solo travelers at any cabin category... I can understand that "Buy One, Get One Half Off" sounds more appealing than "175%" from a marketing perspective but, if the promotion is reintroduced, please level the playing field for all potential guests...

Edited by Xport

We prefer the double upgrade offer, which we have now used four times. Not interested in onboard credit offers and find the current "Choices" promotion rather confusing when trying to check the prices on line, either with Azamara or various travel agents. We have couple of Azamara cruises in our sights for next year but the prices seem very high at the moment .

The BOGOHO brought us back to Azamara for a 16-night Asia cruise because it made the rate comparable to the other cruises we were considering. We book a balcony or suite so the double upgrade is of little interest to us. I dislike dealing with Choice Air and wouldn't spend enough onboard to use OBC, so the other two promotions aren't enticing, unless they are accompanied by a robust price drop.

Double upgrade!! Sorry I did not grab it this last time, but did enjoy our cruise on Journey two months ago and had that deal!

BOGHO has worked for us, so has double upgrade

How about book one cruise get the second cruise booked within by the end of that cruise half price (or whatever reduction is applied) - no issues re singles, may convert newbies etc

The onboard credit is of no interest to me. There is very little onboard to spend it on. Prefer the BOGOHO as I usually book a suite.

Edited by Grandma Gilly

We usually book a verandah, either specific or guarantee so no real interest in double upgrade. We did however benefit from an upgrade last year as the only cabins available when we booked were insides and then a month before sailing we were upgraded to a veranda. With so much included we wouldn't use OBC apart from possibly a spa treat. Flying from the UK we don't get Choice Air. We usually buy the whole package including the Azamara flights from UK but routing can be a problem on European destinations and 2 hour flights can become 8 hour journeys via a European hub. We would like to see the precruise overnight hotel reintroduced. BOGHO might be attractive but Azamara needs to look at how much it's prices have risen in the past few years.

We would prefer to not have the so called promotional offers at all and to simply have a permanent price that is fair, rather than this system of pushing prices up then offering a "discount" I understand that sometimes cruises that are not full need to be sold at reduced price close to sail date, but it seems that frequent free upgrades/discounted prices only train prospective cruisers to wait for a better offer before making a commitment and cause dissatisfaction and frustration when prices rise and fall depending on which particular promotion is on offer. I know that is not likely to happen so if we have to have "promotions" then the double upgrade is our preference. Free air does not work for us, even when travelling between US airports and the ship. Does not make for happy customers when the person next to you on the flight is on a US passport and travelling free, and because of where we live we do not qualify for free air on the same flight.

I think that with the improvement in the World economy prices across the board have risen, maybe with one or two exceptions, but it is still a competitive market and obviously promotions are still needed to fill all the berths available.

We have booked using all of the promotions and each has it's own merits but the one that tempted us to book the most is the one we were most sceptical of and that was BOGOHO as we prefer to book CC suites this gave us genuine savings and allowed us to choose the cabin we prefered.

Double upgrade - booking a verandah for the price of an inside is a good offer but being on a guarantee basis it's pot luck on your cabin location and we certainly have been allocated cabins we would never have chosen in the past. Of course we can now apply for the Loyalty Upgrade to a Club Continent but again it's not a given.

Choices - this is our least favourite of all the offers and is a little confusing, when we have opted for the "Upgrade" option we have been offered the choice of any Verandah grade for a set price that seems to equate to the lowest Oceanview price, we have booked using this offer and chosen a VX grade (we are happy in that location) but then applies for the Loyalty Upgrade so it could show us a substantial saving over the brochure price.

Recently on Journey we booked a CC suite using the current choices promotion the only real option available to us was to take the OBC so combined with the onboard booking bonus we now have $1200 OBC. However we are happy with the included drinks package, have complimentary speciality dining and don't use the spa so what do we spend this on? Fortunately we have booked an itinerary that demands shore excursions so thats fine - except if we want to use OBC to pay for shore excursions we have to book onboard and risk the trips we want to do being sold out. Best advise is to book in advance online and pay upfront cancel onboard and rebook using OBC but we assume if there is a waitlist you could still lose out, plus if we pay in advance we will be charged in £'s then refunded in $'s which will be refunded to our credit card who will then charge to convert it back to £'s so we are bound to lose out on that one. Why can't we book in advance and the charge be made to our allocated OBC?

The flight upgrade option is a non starter for us as more often than not flights cost considerably less than the savings we achieve using the other options.

I do sympathise with solo travellers as I can see that most of these offers are only cost effective for couples, maybe there should be separate offers, such as the reduced supplements, specifically for these customers.

We never book suites, so the double upgrade promotion has worked well for us. We're also not interested in having airfare included either.

For a South American itinerary three years ago, we took advantage of a reduced ($200) airfare and upgrade (oceanview to veranda) offer. Although everything went well, we learned that flying a day or two earlier is advisable.

For Indian and Mediterranean itineraries, we took advantage of Choice Air's $1000 discounts. We chose our flights and Choice Air came through.

We tried to book an Asian itinerary last July with the $2000 Choice Air discount offer, but the last cabin under that offer was sold before we called. Two months later, we took advantage of a last-minute booking offer for the same cruise. Because we booked three months prior to departure, our Christmas-time airfare from the East Coast (US) to Singapore was only several hundred dollars cheaper than the cruise. To think that 21 hours of airborne semi-misery cost almost the same as 14 days of maritime bliss (in a veranda, because we were lucky enough to be upgraded)!

We booked the August 2016 Fjords itinerary in August with a BOGOHO offer. The price (of the first passenger) increased just prior to the offer, but it was a great deal nonetheless given that it's a long cruise to a very expensive country. And because we booked a triple, it's even a better deal.

In sum, we have taken advantage of a variety of offers (we always get some OBC) and periodically monitor prices of cruises we might like to take (Christmas 2016 with Komodo dragons....). But the August 2016 itinerary with BOGOHO is one of the best deals we have made.

BOGOHO! BOGOHO!

I don't know if the comparative deals always work out this way, but we booked a 2016 cruise as soon as it was released under the BOGOHO offer. When that offer was replaced by Double Upgrade, even though the cabin price was the same we would have had to pay much more. So we definitely prefer BOGOHO if it means a bigger discount! Also, BOGOHO is easy to understand for every level of cabin (e.g. V1, V2, VX) where Double Upgrade gives me the impression that you only get the lowest level within a category [i may be wrong, but that perception limits the initial appeal of the offer].

For fairness, you could offer Single passengers a reduction in the Supplement while the BOGOHO offer is running

I just want to say thank you for all your comments & suggestion so far. Keep them coming!

I don't know if the comparative deals always work out this way, but we booked a 2016 cruise as soon as it was released under the BOGOHO offer. When that offer was replaced by Double Upgrade, even though the cabin price was the same we would have had to pay much more. So we definitely prefer BOGOHO if it means a bigger discount! Also, BOGOHO is easy to understand for every level of cabin (e.g. V1, V2, VX) where Double Upgrade gives me the impression that you only get the lowest level within a category [i may be wrong, but that perception limits the initial appeal of the offer].

For fairness, you could offer Single passengers a reduction in the Supplement while the BOGOHO offer is running

That's interesting.

We initially booked under the BOGOHO promotion.

When that was replaced by the Double Upgrade, the price for us was lower, so our travel agent rebooked with the double upgrade and we saved money. We were also able to move up to a better balcony cabin level than we were originally in.

So.... my vote is for the Double Upgrade promotion.

We are also not interested in OBC or flight savings.

That's interesting.

We initially booked under the BOGOHO promotion.

When that was replaced by the Double Upgrade, the price for us was lower, so our travel agent rebooked with the double upgrade and we saved money. We were also able to move up to a better balcony cabin level than we were originally in.

So.... my vote is for the Double Upgrade promotion.

Which promotion, BOGOHO or veranda-for-price-of-inside, is more attractive is a function of the relative pricing of the two categories, and that depends on the pricing of the specific cruise.

If the inside is three-quarters the price of a veranda, the promotions are equal in value. If the inside is more than three-quarters the price of a veranda, then the BOGOHO is more attractive. If the inside is less than three-quarters the price of a veranda, then the veranda-for-the-price-of-inside is better.

So the "Double Upgrade" is not always going to be better. And it does nothing for those wanting a suite.

Edited by marinaro44

I like the double upgrade promotion, we have only taken on cruise this past year on the journey and we loved having our veranda for the price of an inside cabin. We booked the quest for the fjords cruise in 2016 under the same promotion.

Edited by gazzagirl
Spelling