Activity Managers onboard Royal Ships

Sorry to hear of your experience. I am guessing this was out of the public eye or a one on one interaction. Did Dru give you a phone call the following day?

No, this was very much in the public eye. It was during the Name That Tune game show where I watched him deliberately pass over me to call upon the "frat house" "pretty boy" type guests, after he had said no yelling or screaming out for attention (which is what these guys were doing). It was extremely obvious to everyone what he was doing. It upset me so much, that I just left the theater and didn't attend the activity. The Diamond concierge saw that I was upset, asked my wife what was wrong and reported it to Dru. Dru called and apologized the next day and said Chris would be spoken to.

Also, every single morning show, all he talked about was how he should be promoted to Cruise Director and how much he deserved it. He was far too over-the-top and too "in your face". He'd be much more at home on Carnival.

As I said, I've never been so upset at how I was treated by a cruise line employee in my life.

No, this was very much in the public eye. It was during the Name That Tune game show where I watched him deliberately pass over me to call upon the "frat house" "pretty boy" type guests, after he had said no yelling or screaming out for attention (which is what these guys were doing). It was extremely obvious to everyone what he was doing. It upset me so much, that I just left the theater and didn't attend the activity. The Diamond concierge saw that I was upset, asked my wife what was wrong and reported it to Dru. Dru called and apologized the next day and said Chris would be spoken to.

Also, every single morning show, all he talked about was how he should be promoted to Cruise Director and how much he deserved it. He was far too over-the-top and too "in your face". He'd be much more at home on Carnival.

As I said, I've never been so upset at how I was treated by a cruise line employee in my life.

Well, regardless if I had a better experience with him, that experience you had was unacceptable. As Dru handled it (hopefully), you shouldn't have to forward it to Ken and Nick in Miami.

As for the CD thing, he might have just been joking as Brits do have a different sense of humour than Americans, but it is a bit arrogant. I can understand why he wants the promotion, having been AM for 4 years and being on their 3rd newest ship, but not very professional to say that in a show broadcast to customers.

Well, regardless if I had a better experience with him, that experience you had was unacceptable. As Dru handled it (hopefully), you shouldn't have to forward it to Ken and Nick in Miami.

As for the CD thing, he might have just been joking as Brits do have a different sense of humour than Americans, but it is a bit arrogant. I can understand why he wants the promotion, having been AM for 4 years and being on their 3rd newest ship, but not very professional to say that in a show broadcast to customers.

It needed to be stated to the higher ups. And I only mentioned it in my survey because of him in general. Dru was extremely visible all over the ship. He was friendly and perosnalable. He was how all Cruise Directors should act. Chris, however, was rarely seen in public and when he was, he was so distant from the guests it was not even funny.

Updated 6/9/17

What Activity Manager have you come across? Ifyou can find out how long the Activity Manager on board is remaining with theship, it would be greatly appreciated…..EVERYONE’s help is needed. Thanks!

****Adventure OTS – Eric (unknown last name) from Mexicoseems to have taken over from Renato Arena and he probably came on board earlyApril 2017. Perhaps it is only to coverRenato’s vacation until mid June…..we will see.

****Allure OTS – Amy Tripp arrived on 5/21/17for a two month contract. Going back toExplorer after this.

****Anthem OTS – Hugo Arenas has been spotted. He probably arrived in mid May.

****Brilliance OTS – Who is onboard?

****Empress OTS – Cecy del Razo back onboard from early June for 4 months.

****Enchantment OTS – Who is on board? MauricioDiaz was the last one that I had been informed of, but that is quite a whileago…..is he still there?

****Explorer OTS – Joe Chambers from Canada has been onboard since3/30/17. Likely a 4 month contract thatwill take him to the end of July.

****Freedom OTS – Jerry (last name unknown) has been reported tome to be on Freedom by a cruiser on 5/22/17. No other information about lengthof contract for example.

****Grandeur OTS – TornadoTanya Yates Tongue is on until July 27, then she goes on vacation and returnsin September.

*****Harmony – KatyMcCullagh is onboard….don’t know of when she began or for how long.

****Independence OTS – Caroline Peter has been on Indy since mid May2017 possibly for a 4 month contract.

*****Jewel OTS - Martin (perhaps full name is Mickey Martin) currently onboard I havebeen told. Unsure of when he started, socan’t speculate until when.

*****LibertyOTS – Katrina Blair took over from Tresha Robb 5/21/17 for a month contract. In mid July Tresha Robb should be returningfrom vacation.

****Majesty OTS – Mossese Vatuloka just confirmed with metoday that he will be on MJ until 6/26 then he on vacation.

*****Mariner OTS – Caroline Pan is onboard untilMay 29, 2017.

*****Navigator OTS – Mark Rous did the Meet NMingle and we therefore know he has returned by 2/26/17.

*****Oasis OTS – Marvin Wilson has been on since2/27/17 –He was just spotted on Oasis during the week on 5/14/17, so perhaps it turned into a 4 month contractrather than the vacation coverage it was expected to be – if so he would be onOasis until the end of June 2017.

***** Ovation – Who is onboard now?

***** Quantum – Who is onboard now?

*****Radiance OTS – Margot van Erck rejoined the ship 4/16/17 andshe will be on until July 20. Then Katrina Blair will be taking overwhen John Blair will be coming on board to cover the CD’s vacation. Katrina and John work as a team on ships.

**** Rhapsody OTS – It has been confirmed that DanielDornas joined the ship 5/27/17 probably for a 4 month contract.

**** Serenade OTS – Who is onboard NOW, since GrantMartin departed the ship on 5/20/17. Ansy

***** Vision OTS – Chris (from England – unknown last name) hasbeen spotted onboard Vision.

*****Voyager OTS – Who is onboard now, since KatieTurner signed off on 5/21/17?

Thanks to all the cruisers for information thatthey provide to me!

Others: Anjazc, Kitty Xu,, Giovanni DiPasquale, FlavioMaeda, Jeremie Gugliemi, Allison Currie, Elizabeth Hackett, Troy Zhang (??), Katrina Blair, Saini Gupta, Katie Turner,Daniel Klophaus, Tresha Robb, TinoJackson; Renato Arena, TT Algon, AngelleRutten Van Hemert

No longer in the Fleet: Darryl Dyball, ZachStratford; Linda Feng; Frankie Portera, Elise Milo Stewart, Gordon Travis, EnzoMatijca

Splendour – ship retired April 2016; Legend – shipretired March 2017

I found him to be the most arrogant, petty and condescending cruise staff member I've ever encountered. He upset us with his practices so bad one night, it warranted a personal phone call from Dru Pavlov the next day. In my opinion, he should never be promoted to Cruise Director and I never want to sail with him again. I said so much in my survey and asked that my feelings be directed up to Ken Rush and Nick Weir.
It needed to be stated to the higher ups. And I only mentioned it in my survey because of him in general. Dru was extremely visible all over the ship. He was friendly and perosnalable. He was how all Cruise Directors should act. Chris, however, was rarely seen in public and when he was, he was so distant from the guests it was not even funny.

I just wanted to say that your assessment of Chris matches my experience with him. I agree that he is not CD material, as he is self-serving and not passenger-centered.

I have a lot of respect for Dru after several cruises with him. I'm glad he made an effort to set things right with you.

I just wanted to say that your assessment of Chris matches my experience with him. I agree that he is not CD material, as he is self-serving and not passenger-centered.

I have a lot of respect for Dru after several cruises with him. I'm glad he made an effort to set things right with you.

Yep! Promoting him to CD would be a horrible move for Royal Caribbean.

Do you have any Activities Managers that you have sailed with that you feel could be the next one to become CD?

We had Joe Chambers on the Explorer last month on the Transpacific and he was amazing. He was personable with a great sense of humour. I can imagine him as a cruise director.

Corinna

Thanks for opening up this discussion.....this thread can be more than a list of Activity Managers!

Indeed, and as I am now doing the CD List, I am fascinated to see opinions of the Activities Managers and the possibility of who will get promoted.

I have sailed with 3 AM's that are currently CD's with Royal: Steve Davis, Carlos Torres and Michele Scarpato, so can't wait to see who is next.

Tanya Yates-Tongue - Tornado Tanya.

A dear friend just sailed with Tornado Tanya on Grandeur.....and said she has a 'magnificent voice' and she did a magnificent rendition of Hallelujah. They tremendously enjoyed sailing with you as their AM.

Maybe I'm partial to Grandeur Activities Managers since I live in Baltimore but I think both of mine would make great CD's. I'll second Tanya but think Andre Miller would also be a great possibility. I can't even remember who the CD was on my first Grandeur cruise but Andre stands out. I thought I saw somewhere that he's expecting a child but hope he can find a way to keep cruising in his plans.

Roy

In our cruise experience we first met Elvis Pinto when he was an AM on our Jewel cruise....and it was the first time (not our first cruise) when we realized how much of an impact the staff had on our sailing....he was fab!!!!! It took a while until he got his chance at CD. We experience Amy Tripp when she filled in as AM when we sailed on Indy. She went back to her role the following sailing on the Entertainment Staff, as the regular AM Gordon Travis returned as AM from filling in as CD. That was during the week when all the regular CD's attend a convention in Miami. Kevin Tugwell was on the Entertainment Staff that same week on Indy and he has now found his way into the AM role....he does a great trivia game. Tresha Robb is a wonderful AM.....we enjoyed her a great deal and we had lots of fun with Hugo Arenas -- he reminded me very much of Elvis Pinto (one ball of energy, let loose among cruisers) -- which is a tremendous compliment.

What is very unique is that although the job of AM should be the same from ship to ship, the different personalities that the individuals bring to their job makes all the difference in the world. Add to that 'what each cruiser' expects from the entertainment staff led by the CD creates a different experience from week to week, at least in my humble opinion.

Do you have any Activities Managers that you have sailed with that you feel could be the next one to become CD?

Kevin Tugwell. Great personality. Excellent chemistry with the CD and other members of the activities team. Very entertaining when he hosts an activity such as trivia. Lots of fun!

Tino Jackson! Sailed with him on Rhapsody last summer and he was just stellar!! Michele? was CD and was more behind the scenes, so Tino was very much front and center and in the midst of everything. He was fantastic. On Harmony, with Abe Hughes as CD, Tino's talents were wasted, sadly. Wondering where he'll turn up next, and hoping to see him as CD someday soon!

Tino Jackson! Sailed with him on Rhapsody last summer and he was just stellar!! Michele? was CD and was more behind the scenes, so Tino was very much front and center and in the midst of everything. He was fantastic. On Harmony, with Abe Hughes as CD, Tino's talents were wasted, sadly. Wondering where he'll turn up next, and hoping to see him as CD someday soon!

Was Abe good as CD?

I suppose on an Oasis Class, you would see the AM and CD less frequently than on a Vision Class.

Updated 6/13/17

What Activity Manager have you come across? Ifyou can find out how long the Activity Manager on board is remaining with theship, it would be greatly appreciated…..EVERYONE’s help is needed. Thanks!

****Adventure OTS – Eric (unknown last name) from Mexicoseems to have taken over from Renato Arena and he probably came on board earlyApril 2017. Perhaps it is only to coverRenato’s vacation until mid June…..we will see.

****Allure OTS – Amy Tripp arrived on 5/21/17for a two month contract. Going back toExplorer after this.

****Enchantment OTS – Who is on board? MauricioDiaz was the last one that I had been informed of, but that is quite a whileago…..is he still there?

****Explorer OTS – Joe Chambers from Canada has been onboard since3/30/17. Likely a 4 month contract thatwill take him to the end of July.

****Freedom OTS – Jerry (last name unknown) has been reported tome to be on Freedom by a cruiser on 5/22/17. No other information about lengthof contract for example.

****Grandeur OTS – TornadoTanya Yates Tongue is on until July 27, then she goes on vacation and returnsin September.

*****Harmony – KatyMcCullagh is onboard….don’t know of when she began or for how long.

****Independence OTS – Caroline Peter has been on Indy since mid May2017 possibly for a 4 month contract.

*****Jewel OTS - Daniel Klophausm is currentlyonboard I have been told. Unsure of whenhe started, so can’t speculate until when.

*****LibertyOTS – Katrina Blair took over from Tresha Robb 5/21/17 for a month contract. In mid July Tresha Robb should be returningfrom vacation.

****Majesty OTS – Mossese Vatuloka just confirmed with metoday that he will be on MJ until 6/26 then he on vacation.

*****Navigator OTS – Mark Rous did the Meet NMingle and we therefore know he has returned by 2/26/17.

*****Oasis OTS – Marvin Wilson has been on since2/27/17 and was still onboard during the6/4 sailing. Perhaps it turned into a 4 month contract rather than the vacationcoverage it was expected to be – if so he would be on Oasis until the end ofJune 2017.

*****Radiance OTS – Margot van Erck rejoined the ship 4/16/17 andshe will be on until July 20. Then Katrina Blair will be taking overwhen John Blair will be coming on board to cover the CD’s vacation. Katrina and John work as a team on ships.

**** Rhapsody OTS – It has been confirmed that DanielDornas joined the ship 5/27/17 probably for a 4 month contract.

**** Serenade OTS – Who is onboard NOW, since GrantMartin departed the ship on 5/20/17. Ansy

***** Vision OTS – Chris (from England – unknown last name) hasbeen spotted onboard Vision.

Others: Anjazc, Kitty Xu,, Flavio Maeda, Jeremie Gugliemi, Allison Currie, Elizabeth Hackett, Troy Zhang (??), Katrina Blair, Saini Gupta, Katie Turner,Daniel Klophaus, Tresha Robb, TinoJackson; Renato Arena, TT Algon, AngelleRutten Van Hemert, Kevin Tugwell, Mickey Martin

No longer in the Fleet: Darryl Dyball, ZachStratford; Linda Feng; Frankie Portera, Elise Milo Stewart, Gordon Travis, EnzoMatijca, Giovanni DiPasquale

Katy began on Harmony March 11th and should be ending mid July. I will try and find out who the next AM will be.

Anyone had her before? FWIW - I had Tino on Harmony last October in the Med.

Updated 6/15/17

*****Harmony – KatyMcCullagh is onboard since 3/11 and will be on board until the middle of July.

*****Jewel OTS - Daniel Klophausm is currentlyonboard I have been told. Unsure of whenhe started, so can’t speculate until when.

*****Oasis OTS – Marvin Wilson has been on since2/27/17 and was still onboard during the6/4 sailing. Perhaps it turned into a 4 month contract rather than the vacationcoverage it was expected to be – if so he would be on Oasis until the end ofJune 2017.

Others: Anjazc, Kitty Xu,, Flavio Maeda, Jeremie Gugliemi, Allison Currie, Elizabeth Hackett, Troy Zhang (??), Katrina Blair, Saini Gupta, Katie Turner,Daniel Klophaus, Tresha Robb, TinoJackson; Renato Arena, TT Algon, AngelleRutten Van Hemert, Kevin Tugwell, Mickey Martin

No longer in the Fleet: Darryl Dyball, ZachStratford; Linda Feng; Frankie Portera, Elise Milo Stewart, Gordon Travis, EnzoMatijca, Giovanni DiPasquale

Was Abe good as CD?

I suppose on an Oasis Class, you would see the AM and CD less frequently than on a Vision Class.

I did not care for Abe. Sailed with him quite a few times, always the same jokes, same lines, same Quest. He just seemed very plastic to me. He was very much out in the public eye, I just didn't care for his personality. I know others think he is the cats pajamas!