Occasional wheelchair use while in port...where to store it?

tlm

I have a disability that requires me to be in a wheelchair on occasion. I have COPD and am not able to walk great distances. The last cruise we took I didn't bring a wheelchair and found it difficult to get around when we were in port. My condition has gotten worse now and we are considering bringing a wheelchair for our next cruise (Jan/05) I probably won't need it much on board but will definitely need it when in port. Since we are not booked in an accessible cabin, will there be a place to store the wheelchair? We are sailing on Celebrity's Century.

Thanks for your help

Toni

[img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/cat01.gif[/img] <applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2005>
<param name="month" value=1>
<param name="day" value=22>
<param name="hour" value=16>
</applet>[IMG]
Jan 22/05 Century

Jan 11/04 Victory

Jan 11/03 Sensation

It will have to be stored in your cabin because the hallways on ships are very narrow and could impede passengers if there were an emergency. There's also the problem of unsupervised kids taking the chair if it were left in the hall. If you have a manual chair, it should fold easily and lean against a wall in your cabin.

Tracie

My husband brings his chair on cruises for that very reason. We've been on three cruises in the past year, on three different ships and cruise lines. It has always fit just inside the door. He has a companion chair, lighter than a regulation wheelchair, it has 4 small wheels rather than two small wheels and 2 large ones in front. It is very easy to push and lighter than a wheelchair. It is great, not only for shore excursions, but when your cabin is at one end of the ship, and two football fields away at the other end, is the dining room!

I had a regular lightweight folding wheelchair which fit in my cabin when folded. As long as it folds, you should have no problem......... If you don't have a folding wheelchair, they are easily rented from CareVacatons.com or Scootaround.com. I take a scooter now, but last cruise, I took the scooter, and rented a folding wheelchair for shore excursions. CareVacations had it in my cabin when I arrived, and I left it there when we departed. It was very convenient. We folded it up and left it behind the drapes in our cabin, but there were several places it would have fit.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;4;4;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Hawaii - On the Island

Archived