Groupon deal on Bahamas Paradise

Here it is: $199

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-bahamas-paradise-cruise-line

Okay, is it a deal for an inside cabin for 2?

Let's add it up.

$199 + $123.56 tax for 2 + $48 tips for two + parking, $32 for two nights.

Total: $402.56, or $201.28 per night for two persons with free food and entertainment.

For an inside cabin it's a lousy deal!

Hey Lou, be careful posting these deals here. You can get slapped by Cruise Critic for posting this kind of info (not that I know from past personal experience :o)

With that said, I honestly don't think it's a bad deal. I priced out a 4 night cruise on Carnival for the same week and the per diem on the Grand Celebration was considerably lower.

Normally the longer the cruise, the lower the per diem, so being able to get a shorter cruise at a lower per diem is a great deal, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Every cruise has gratuities to add; every cruise has parking to add. I don't include those to the cruise "price" when I make my comparisons. I just compare price & taxes of one cruise to price & taxes of another cruise.

Basically, the price point on this Groupon deal is $99.50 + tax, per person. That's far better than the previous $149 + tax, a price we all thought was going to be problematic for them to sell many of.

I think this is a good deal too. I may be booking this one. Will read the fine print first though. Thanks for the alert, Lou.

BobK/Orlando

Try calling direct to see if they will honor the Groupon price WITHOUT purchasing a Groupon. Groupon takes such a chunk from local companies that many are happy to honor the pricing but cut Groupon out just by asking.

Try calling direct to see if they will honor the Groupon price WITHOUT purchasing a Groupon. Groupon takes such a chunk from local companies that many are happy to honor the pricing but cut Groupon out just by asking.

Good idea; will give that a try. Still trying to work out which date.

BobK/Orlando

I just called and left a message for customer service to call me back. We have 5 outside cabins and 1 suite booked on the 4/4/15 sailing. That is a big price difference for a 2 day sailing. I'll let everyone know what happens after they call me back.

I just called and left a message for customer service to call me back. We have 5 outside cabins and 1 suite booked on the 4/4/15 sailing. That is a big price difference for a 2 day sailing. I'll let everyone know what happens after they call me back.

Customer service did not call me back yet.

I called customer service today and they are swamped with the Groupon deal. I was assured they would give each cabin booked an on board credit. I am happy with the outcome.

You might try to get that in writing or phone verify that your reservation has a credit on it.

BobK/Orlando

You might try to get that in writing or phone verify that your reservation has a credit on it.

BobK/Orlando

I have the name of the customer rep and she said she would send me an email confirmation in 1-2 weeks. Believe me. I will hound them, especially after I told everyone in our group that each cabin is getting a credit.

• 2 weeks later...

Was it a great deal? No, but it was pretty good as far as I'm concerned. I have booked one cruise in the past with NCL but never ended up going on it (long sad story, my wife left me a month before our anniversary cruise)

My son and I are going so this is a good "starter" cruise for us and I jumped on the Groupon deal. I got the $239 deal because I wanted a window.

So I called during my lunch hour at work, using the number on the Groupon voucher - After the simple menu options, I got the recording "Due to the great demand for our cruises, call volumes are higher than normal - please stay on the line and blahblahblah...." followed by a message saying "You are #2 in the queue" :)

After about 2 minutes a pleasant lady answered. I said that I had the Groupon deal and she cut me off, saying "You need to speak to customer service!" So she transferred me to Customer Service and I got the same menu options, and the same recordings, and the same place in queue....

The second agent I spoke with found out that I had a Groupon, and she said "I think we're sold out for March....would you like me to check?" so I said "yes please"....she put me on hold for about 10 minutes and then said "Yes, I'm sorry we have no dates left in March. Since you wanted to do March 21st we could do another date....?" This bothered me because:

A) I said March 31st

B) I purchased the Groupon for three dates, it's understandable if ONE or TWO of the dates wasn't available, but why oversell when it was marked "limited number available"

and C) Groupon was still selling March sailing dates online....

She finally said "Well you can go in April...." so I had to go back and look at a calendar to make sure it wouldn't interfere with my son's schedule. I told her I would call back.

I wasn't worried, the Groupon deal was refundable if they didn't have the date I wanted, so I figured no harm, no foul.

After checking the April date, I called back, same menu, same recordings, still #2 in queue....and the agent who answered gave me his first and last names....VERY different experience, he seemed confident. I said I had the Groupon and he asked me for the codes from the voucher, asked me what date I wanted, checked (WITHOUT putting me on hold) - just for giggles I said I wanted March 31st (my original plan) and he said it was available...

So he booked me, gave me my room number, and my confirmation code...went over what to expect on Cruise day, what to bring with me, etc....very thorough and professional. When he got to the point where he needed my credit card for the taxes....we got disconnected. I was on my work phone, not a cell phone, so I know that the line was reliable (I work in a call center myself....)

I called back and while I was navigating the menu he called me back on my cell phone and completed the transaction. I also have the local number that he called from in Florida now :)

So I'm set to go now....a little nagging in the back of my brain says something might go wrong but it's all up to the fates now!

I received an email from Groupon this week with this deal. It said Cruise to the Bahamas on a Luxury Liner. Really? We're not talking about the QE2 here. Nothing against the ship- I was on it years ago when it was the Carnival Celebration, but luxury liner is a bit of a stretch.

Actually, it is no longer the Joe Farcus creation that was Carnival Celebration, and has been totally refinished. I've been on QE2 and QM2 many times, and I do not think using the word "luxury" is a stretch. Find interior photos on the internet and you will see what I mean. Granted, she is NOT a "liner", but luxury I believe she has.

Wife and I have also booked end of April, specifically 24th thru 26th. Sailed with Celebration Cruise Line 2 times prior over the last couple years. We enjoyed the Celebration then and I'm sure we will enjoy the Grand Celebration also. The short cruise is not that great of a price, but its a quick fix for a cruise addict and a side step the the major lines. Anyone who has never cruised before, this is a good starter to get see if its a vacation you would enjoy for a longer period of time. We can't wait to board !

I called customer service today and they are swamped with the Groupon deal. I was assured they would give each cabin booked an on board credit. I am happy with the outcome.

Well, I was promised I would receive a letter from customer service stating we would all get the on board credit because of the Groupon Deal. They said it would take 2 weeks to produce. 2 weeks have come and gone and no letter yet.

• 2 weeks later...

These deals are never "great" . . . especially during the winter time when you can sometimes get a 3 nighter on a big boy line for less money.

These deals are better during the summer, when cruising is much more expensive.

Still I did the older ship once, and everything was so much cheaper on board that it really felt like I was getting more for less.

I hope the new line is like that, I'm waiting for another Groupon deal. Sad I missed this one.

I'm waiting for another Groupon deal. Sad I missed this one.

The new ship is much larger than the one they had before and they've got to keep filling it every 2 days. You can expect more Groupon deals which appeared to be very successful for them.

BobK/Orlando

• 2 weeks later...

Remember how I said that I had something nagging in the back of my head?

I looked closer at the receipt that they emailed me when I paid the taxes.... it reads:

Cruise Package 161.34

Gov't Tax & other fees 123.56

Total 284.90

Total Paid 123.56

Total Due 161.34

I made the mistake of looking at it after they closed tonight so I'm going to have a restless night until I can call them in the morning to find out what the deal is....My understanding was that I was going to have to pay the gratuity and fuel surcharge (so....$48 + $36) plus whatever activities we choose on board (restaurant upcharge, drinks, etc)

Anyone else have something similar happen? We're sailing next week and I'm dreading having an argument with them about this at this point...

So to follow up, I called this morning and spoke to Laura, who immediately recognized that they sent me the wrong invoice and is sending me a corrected one. She assured me that I only have to pay the gratuity (no fuel surcharge)

Between that and my ex-wife telling me that she lost my son's passport last night, I'm so stressed that I NEED a vacation now. :)