CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

16 hours ago, schagpal said:

THANKS  138east.  

Your advice was followed.  Last month, after driving into the area and quick stop at EWR we stayed at La Quinta Meadowlands for 2 nights.  Worked out perfect.  Parked the car out front on arrival and didn't touch it for 2 days.  Road the bus to/from NYC at a few bucks each (sr rate) - wow talk about convenient.  Ride back each night after shows was quick/convenient. Hotel quality is more than "tired" but for what we wanted/expected it was fine.  Mall 1 block away and shops across street/around corner.

Thanks again,

Ron

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm so glad it all worked out well for you.

Hi Folks,

We are sailing on the Anthem out of Cape Liberty on Feb 3rd, 2019 and since this is our opportunity to actually spend some time in the NYC area we have decided to stay in Manhattan as close to Times Square as we can get.

We arrive Friday around suppertime at La Guardia and have to make our way to our hotel (I have a feeling that is going to be VERY time consuming), but we are thinking UBER is the best way to go for that (but obviously open to suggestions). The main concern however is getting from Times Square on Sunday morning (10:00-11:00am ish) to Cape liberty, would UBER be the best for that also?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Cheers...Brian

14 hours ago, NewfieGuy1972 said:

Hi Folks,

We are sailing on the Anthem out of Cape Liberty on Feb 3rd, 2019 and since this is our opportunity to actually spend some time in the NYC area we have decided to stay in Manhattan as close to Times Square as we can get.

We arrive Friday around suppertime at La Guardia and have to make our way to our hotel (I have a feeling that is going to be VERY time consuming), but we are thinking UBER is the best way to go for that (but obviously open to suggestions). The main concern however is getting from Times Square on Sunday morning (10:00-11:00am ish) to Cape liberty, would UBER be the best for that also?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Cheers...Brian

Since this is an interstate trip between NY and NJ, I would price out a car service like Dial7 and Carmellimo. They will give you a base quote.  Expect to pay an 18-20% tip on the base price plus up to $15-17 in tolls.  Also get an Uber estimate.  When you compare the two, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. 

We live just under 3 hours from the port (I-80 to I-78) and plan to drive morning of our cruise (June 1).  Departure time is 4:00 pm, so we will be on the road by 7:30 am to ideally arrive at 11 but allowing 4 hours for delays (I thought all aboard was 3:00).  Does this sound reasonable?  I know most advise staying the night before, but if I'd staying an hour or more away from the port I doubt 2 hours would make much of a difference and we have an evening event Friday that we cannot miss.  I don't really want to get to a hotel at 11 or midnight if we don't have to.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

We live just under 3 hours from the port (I-80 to I-78) and plan to drive morning of our cruise (June 1).  Departure time is 4:00 pm, so we will be on the road by 7:30 am to ideally arrive at 11 but allowing 4 hours for delays (I thought all aboard was 3:00).  Does this sound reasonable?  I know most advise staying the night before, but if I'd staying an hour or more away from the port I doubt 2 hours would make much of a difference and we have an evening event Friday that we cannot miss.  I don't really want to get to a hotel at 11 or midnight if we don't have to.

You'll be fine.

FYI, unless it's changed recently my recollection is that all aboard time on Royal Caribbean is 90 minutes prior to sailing, not one hour. In any event you've allowed plenty of time for your drive to the port.

Good afternoon everybody. Flying from the UK to JFK next year, plan to use super shuttle to get to New York for 1 night, then sailing out of Cape Liberty the next day. Really confused on the best way to get to the port from Times Square area. I will not be driving, & won't have a phone for Uber or anything similar.Happy to walk a few blocks to or from subway stations etc.

Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks.

On 8/5/2018 at 6:27 PM, veggie59 said:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask. We are probably taking Amtrak from Boston area to New York Penn station. Hoping to possibly find a hotel near Times Square and leave the next morning for a Princess Cruise out of Red Hook in Brooklyn. Advice on hotel near things to do mostly walking distance and best way to get around to get to Red Hook. I’m assuming Uber? Tips?. Appreciate it thanks

......happy sailing.....[emoji925] [emoji924] [emoji925] [emoji924] [emoji925]

We stayed at the Hampton 35th street Empire State Building in February.  We honestly cannot say enough good about that hotel.  The only thing was perhaps the elevator was a bit slow but seriously, you are on vacation right?  The price was extremely good, the bed and linens were fabulous, the breakfast was second or 3rd to any we have had in the world!  The subway was steps from the hotel though we never used that one.  The Path station we used going to the port was very close and it was central to everything!  We walked to various touristy things (Grand Central, Trump Tower, Tiffanys, Rockafeller Center, etc) up to Central Park.   That evening, we walked to our Broadway show and Times Square and yet another we walked to the hotel from south of the Flat Iron building.  Easy walk from Penn Station and we were NOT the only ones walking with luggage.  haha  One good thing to keep in mind is the streets are approx. 1 minute walk apart and the avenues 2ish minutes apart.  That way you can calculate how long it would take you to walk somewhere.

1 hour ago, Orch at Sea said:

Good afternoon everybody. Flying from the UK to JFK next year, plan to use super shuttle to get to New York for 1 night, then sailing out of Cape Liberty the next day. Really confused on the best way to get to the port from Times Square area. I will not be driving, & won't have a phone for Uber or anything similar.Happy to walk a few blocks to or from subway stations etc.

Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Where exactly are you staying?  You may have a reason for what you booked but I would recommend the Hampton Inn 35th street.  Fantastic beds, linens, breakfast, location, price!

We took the PATH (Hudson-Bergen Light Rail) a short walk from that hotel to Hoboken and light train to the 8th street light rail station in Bayonne.  A Lyft was waiting to see if anyone needed a ride.  We were grateful as we didn't know what we would do from there and hoped there would be some options.  He said he always checks to see if anyone needs a ride from there but said none of the others do.  A man walking his dog at the Hoboken Terminal said we would be better to get Lyft or Uber from there.  We already had our light rail ticket so kept on.  I'm sure someone would call you an uber from there if you didn't want to take your chances.  There were lots of workers around.  (I found this originally by going to google maps and searching for public transit rather than a regular car. You could plug in exactly where you are staying (unless you change to the Hampton!) and a similar day that you want to travel and see what they come up with.) 

1). Let’s identify where you’re staying in NYC. What exact dates are you doing this?

2). Will you have no phone at all or just no phone service?

3)  I’m at sea now. When I get a chance I will post the taxi phone numbers for Bayonne as well as the accessible instructions for taking PATH from 33rd & 6th to Hoboken and the light rail from Hoboken to 34th St Bayonne. This is an easy trip with rolling luggage - I’ve done it several times and will do another version of it again in Feb.  If you leave about 9 am,  you will arrive in Bayonne about 10 am before the crowds that cause the traffic backups. This is important because local cabs don’t make money sitting in a Cape Liberty traffic jam. No problem even leaving a bit earlier. This is an outbound trip during the morning rush, so outbound trains will be very empty with seats. 

4). IMO if you have the local cab numbers,  you can ask someone at the Bayonne 34th St station to call for you. It’s a travel adventure. $5/pp to take Path and the light rail plus about $10 into the port vs at least $60 and up for private transportation.

Hello everyone!  This is such a long thread that I decided to just ask my question although I'm sure it's been asked before....

I'm looking for suggestions for hotels (moderately priced) for pre-cruise, leaving from Cape Liberty.  Our cruise leaves on Thursday, May 23, 2019 and we plan to arrive on that Wednesday (5/22) in the morning or early afternoon.

Also, which airport is the best to fly into.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by lrc04

We have been cruising from Bayonne for the past  four years, driving in from Buffalo, NY.

We always stay at the Ramada Plaza at the Newark airport. We reserve through Trinity Reservations. They offer a room (double) for about $200 which includes the room, parking for up to 10 days and limousine to and from the port. They also have a shuttle bus to/from NYC for $50 R/T with convenient trip times conducive to show times, etc. Drops off and picks up 2 blocks from Times Square

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lrc04 said:

Hello everyone!  This is such a long thread that I decided to just ask my question although I'm sure it's been asked before....

I'm looking for suggestions for hotels (moderately priced) for pre-cruise, leaving from Cape Liberty.  Our cruise leaves on Thursday, May 23, 2019 and we plan to arrive on that Wednesday (5/22) in the morning or early afternoon.

Also, which airport is the best to fly into.

Thanks in advance.

Fly into Newark airport. You will pay a transportation premium to fly into LaGuardia or JFK. 

What do you consider a “moderately priced hotel”?  How many people?  Any special bed configuration?  Do you plan to sightsee in NYC?

These are all considerations that can affect your hotel choice. 

Edited by 138east

18 minutes ago, 138east said:

Fly into Newark airport. You will pay a transportation premium to fly into LaGuardia or JFK. 

What do you consider a “moderately priced hotel”?  How many people?  Any special bed configuration?  Do you plan to sightsee in NYC?

These are all considerations that can affect your hotel choice. 

The max we would like to pay would be about $250 for the night.  We will need several double occupancy rooms as there is a group of us traveling on the cruise.  Arrival would be 5/22/19 for one night. 

Won't be going into NYC more than likely but would like to be able to grab a bite to eat and not have the hotel as the only option.

1 hour ago, lrc04 said:

The max we would like to pay would be about $250 for the night.  We will need several double occupancy rooms as there is a group of us traveling on the cruise.  Arrival would be 5/22/19 for one night. 

Won't be going into NYC more than likely but would like to be able to grab a bite to eat and not have the hotel as the only option.

Look at the items on International Blvd in Elizabeth - Embassy Suites, Marriott Courtyard, Residence Inn, and Country Inns. These are next to the Jersey Gardens Mall with a Ruby Tuesday’s, Ihop, Applebees, Johnny Rockets and mall food court nearby. Embassy Suites and Country Inns offer add on shuttle transportation. All these hotels have a free shuttle from the P4 air train station at the airport. 

8 minutes ago, 138east said:

Look at the items on International Blvd in Elizabeth - Embassy Suites, Marriott Courtyard, Residence Inn, and Country Inns. These are next to the Jersey Gardens Mall with a Ruby Tuesday’s, Ihop, Applebees, Johnny Rockets and mall food court nearby. Embassy Suites and Country Inns offer add on shuttle transportation. All these hotels have a free shuttle from the P4 air train station at the airport. 

Thank you so much.

Hey Carol, long time:classic_biggrin:...….I have not sailed from the NE in a long time...….but I am flying into JFK in April for a cruise out of Manhattan...….going on Azamara.  Looking for a hotel in NYC...…..I know you normally ask about a budget.....for this trip...….

say between 350.00-400.00...…...I know I can hail a cab at the airport...…..do you have any hotel recommendations?

I was on Trip Advisor but I know this thread is probably just as helpful:classic_biggrin:....need a room for one night pre-cruise.

Thanks!!!

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hey Carol, long time:classic_biggrin:...….I have not sailed from the NE in a long time...….but I am flying into JFK in April for a cruise out of Manhattan...….going on Azamara.  Looking for a hotel in NYC...…..I know you normally ask about a budget.....for this trip...….

say between 350.00-400.00...…...I know I can hail a cab at the airport...…..do you have any hotel recommendations?

I was on Trip Advisor but I know this thread is probably just as helpful:classic_biggrin:....need a room for one night pre-cruise.

Thanks!!!

Hi Lois. Sailing into San Juan right now. On another post you mentioned you were looking at the Michaelangelo which one of our posters recommends all the time. Excellent central location within safe walking distance of many midtown attractions. The Ink and the Lexington are not as well located. 

4 hours ago, 138east said:

Hi Lois. Sailing into San Juan right now. On another post you mentioned you were looking at the Michaelangelo which one of our posters recommends all the time. Excellent central location within safe walking distance of many midtown attractions. The Ink and the Lexington are not as well located. 

Hi Carol, thanks for the reply...…..I really want to do 2 things.....see a show and the 9/11 Museum.....are they both within walking distance? (depending on the theater?) I will look at the Michaelangelo more closely.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:58 AM, JimInBuffalo said:

We have been cruising from Bayonne for the past  four years, driving in from Buffalo, NY.

We always stay at the Ramada Plaza at the Newark airport. We reserve through Trinity Reservations. They offer a room (double) for about $200 which includes the room, parking for up to 10 days and limousine to and from the port. They also have a shuttle bus to/from NYC for $50 R/T with convenient trip times conducive to show times, etc. Drops off and picks up 2 blocks from Times Square

Wow that's a great rate for all of the $200 for room, 10 day parking and shuttle to and from the port? Manhattan port or NJ port?

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Carol, thanks for the reply...…..I really want to do 2 things.....see a show and the 9/11 Museum.....are they both within walking distance? (depending on the theater?) I will look at the Michaelangelo more closely.

Hi lois. The 9/11 Museum is in the Financial District (Wall Street) area. It is far from theater district. But it’s easy to get a taxi, Uber or subway or even MTA bus between the two areas. Personally I don’t think the Michaelangelo is in an ideal location for what you want to do. Depending on which show you choose you might have a bit of a walk to the theater. Have you looked at the Lotte Palace? They’re having a special Black Friday sale. 

7 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Hi lois. The 9/11 Museum is in the Financial District (Wall Street) area. It is far from theater district. But it’s easy to get a taxi, Uber or subway or even MTA bus between the two areas. Personally I don’t think the Michaelangelo is in an ideal location for what you want to do. Depending on which show you choose you might have a bit of a walk to the theater. Have you looked at the Lotte Palace? They’re having a special Black Friday sale. 

Hi Carol,  I had a friend tell me about The Beekman.....and The Nomad...….I am going to look at them as well. And I will look at your suggestion of The Lotte Palace...….thanks.  I am going to have take a cab one way or the other LOL...…..I would love to see show the night before my cruise though:classic_smile:

2 hours ago, Castlelassie said:

I still vote for the Hampton Inn 35th street. Fabulous location, beds, linens and breakfast. Nothing "fancy" though if you are into that. We walked to our show from there quite easily!

I like Hampton Inn's AND I like fancy too...…...I have tastes for all sorts of properties. Depends on my mood and budget.

I will take a look at this as well.