CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

After considering pros and cons....I have made a little research and came with that alternative to get from Newark airport to JFK airport:

What about NYC airporter transfer from Newark to Grand central and then to JFK airport for $27.00 pp....is that a better solution? What will be the cost of traveling via public transport?...Air train, NJ tranist, LIRR, Air train? (off-peak)

I think you had the correct prices in your first post. Newark Airtrain is free. NJTransit train to NY Penn Station is $12.50/pp. I believe the subway/JFK Airtrain combo is $7.50/pp. I don't know about the LIRR - it will vary due to peak/non peak. I also don't know about the NYC airporter transfer. That would definitely be something you might not want to do during a Friday rush hour where traveling by any kind of train is usually faster than being on the roads.

I would look seriously at the NJTransit/LIRR combo. Plan to put yourselves in slo-mo. When you get to NY Penn Station, let everyone rush out ahead of you. Take your time and find the elevator or escalator exits to the station level. Wander through the station to the LIRR and buy your ticket. There will be another train to Jamaica. Don't get caught up in the commuter frenzy - you will have plenty of time.

I second Carol's suggestion of Long Island Railroad/JFK AirTrain as being considerably better for someone with luggage than taking the subway to the JFK AirTrain.

If you're interested in a ground shuttle service from EWR to JFK, ETS Airport Shuttle is the Port Authority's authorized provider of van service between the two, without having to transfer from one shuttle to another in Manhattan. The fare for a shared ride shuttle is $32 per person. You would still have to be aware of the potential for heavy traffic at that time of day...I would allow 2 hours travel time between the two airports.

http://www.etsairportshuttle.com/

I looked through you Version 3 and saw that there is a shuttle from Cape Liberty to the Newark Airport for $16. My question is there a similar shuttle from the Newark Airport to the port for the same price?

And if so, where do you meet the shuttle?

Thanks, David

I looked through you Version 3 and saw that there is a shuttle from Cape Liberty to the Newark Airport for $16. My question is there a similar shuttle from the Newark Airport to the port for the same price?

And if so, where do you meet the shuttle?

Thanks, David

There is not a similar shuttle from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty. You have to take a cab, arrange a car service, or use the cruiseline transfer.

It is an alternate route, but you pay a $14 cash toll without an EZ Pass, but save some NJ turnpike toll. Do you have the directions from exit 14A? It's usually very easy to just stay on the Turnpike - there is a cars only lane from Exit 7 to exit 14.

Thanks. But, it seems strange that they do not offer the same service both ways. David

Not strange at all. Cape Liberty has a captive audience of folks getting off the ship who they can just load into shuttles to the airport. All the livery dispatching is controlled from a single point by the taxi dispatcher. Going the other way the livery rules are controlled by the airport and often involve heavy use of the P4 Airtrain station. There are folks arriving at random times across three terminals, so trying to collect them all in a timely manner would be like herding cats.

HI Carol,

Thanks for all of your insight into traveling to Newark!

Celebrity Summit from Cape Liberty, arriving 06/06/2015 cruise departing 06/07.

I looked at Trinity and then Ramada.com. Ramada quoted 139.00 (160.55 with tax) the rep on the phone stated the shuttle to airport and cruise port was included.

Trinity had $199.

Since, in the past, I have been told one thing, and then found it not to be the case. Do you think that the Ramada does offer the free shuttle? or is it part of a separate cruise package?

Thanks again!

Deb

HI Carol,

Thanks for all of your insight into traveling to Newark!

Celebrity Summit from Cape Liberty, arriving 06/06/2015 cruise departing 06/07.

I looked at Trinity and then Ramada.com. Ramada quoted 139.00 (160.55 with tax) the rep on the phone stated the shuttle to airport and cruise port was included.

Trinity had $199.

Since, in the past, I have been told one thing, and then found it not to be the case. Do you think that the Ramada does offer the free shuttle? or is it part of a separate cruise package?

Thanks again!

Deb

I checked the Ramada web site and that looks like the room price without any extras other than the free shuttle between the airport and the hotel. I don't believe you were told the correct information.

Are you coming from Colorado? Do you really need the parking? Are you sightseeing in NYC?

The Trinity package includes 21 days parking AND Cruiseport transportation for up to 4 people for $197 tax included for your date. This is a great value when you break it apart - figure you are paying 15.5% tax, so the base rate of this package is $170! Country inns charges $70 round trip for port transportation for two. If you scrounge around you can find airport parking for $8-10/day, so another $56-70 value. So that leaves $30-44 for the cost of the room.

When this package first became available, I contacted Trinity to ask them about it. They are very nice people BTW. It's a small Christan based company who always wish you to "Have a blessed day". They told me that the Cruiseport transportation is available only for bookings through Trinity - it is NOT run by the hotel and is not available through the hotel.

Did you call the Ramada directly on a NJ number or did you call an 800 number? Personally I would want to be talking to someone in the hotel in Newark who actually knows what's going on.

Edited by 138east

What part of the U.S. are you coming from? What are you paying for your rooms? What age group are you in and do you have experience with highly urban areas? What in particular attracted you to this hotel? What are your sightseeing objectives in NYC?

The Element is a new hotel. However, it is in Harrison NJ, a very urban area just east of downtown Newark, so safety is a consideration. It is also located near the train tracks, so overnight noise is a concern if you're on the wrong side of the hotel. The hotel does not seem to offer a Newark Airport shuttle, which is an added expense. It will take you at least 40-45 minutes to get to midtown Manhattan on PATH via a transfer at Journal Square.

Did you consider the Robert Treat in downtown Newark which is a full service hotel with an airport and Newark Penn Station shuttle, free breakfast, and free internet? Using Newark Penn Station as a transportation hub gives you NJTransit access to New York Penn Station for $5 and PATH access to downtown Manhattan for $2.75. It's a very busy station with lots of folks coming and going as opposed to the Harrison PATH station which always looks somewhat deserted.

The rooms are 721.00 for the three nights with all taxes, this is for a 2BR, 2 bath suite, I did call the hotel and a shuttle from airport is available. We are in our very early 50's and the oldest couple in late 60's. We are coming from south Louisiana 2 of the couples living in New Orleans so the urban area is not a problem.

I did look at Robert Treat the price was a little higher not enough to be a deal breaker but we would have to shuttle to Penn station for each trip which could add a lot of time to the trip into the city and it seems Harrison is closer? You said 40-45 mins from Harrison to midtown Manhattan, how long from Penn Station. I've spent hours looking at the different hotels, would loved to stay in Jersey City but too expensive for our dates, so narrowed it down to Hilton Penn, Robert Treat and Element Harrison, We like the idea of a newer hotel and right next to the train station making transportation easier. I'm certainly open to other options and welcome the advice.

Driving from Long Island for a Liberty of the Seas cruise this fall....how's tge parking at Port Liberty?

I very seldom chime in on this thread, but there is something I should correct here. The area where the ships dock is named Cape Liberty, Bayonne. It is NOT called Port Liberty. I have seen it called that here and on some other threads. Port Liberte is a condo complex on the Jersey City waterfront. If you use a GPS and especially if you say Port Liberty, it could send you there by mistake. It is only a couple of miles away, but you don't want to get lost in that area not knowing the roads.

The rooms are 721.00 for the three nights with all taxes, this is for a 2BR, 2 bath suite, I did call the hotel and a shuttle from airport is available. We are in our very early 50's and the oldest couple in late 60's. We are coming from south Louisiana 2 of the couples living in New Orleans so the urban area is not a problem.

I did look at Robert Treat the price was a little higher not enough to be a deal breaker but we would have to shuttle to Penn station for each trip which could add a lot of time to the trip into the city and it seems Harrison is closer? You said 40-45 mins from Harrison to midtown Manhattan, how long from Penn Station. I've spent hours looking at the different hotels, would loved to stay in Jersey City but too expensive for our dates, so narrowed it down to Hilton Penn, Robert Treat and Element Harrison, We like the idea of a newer hotel and right next to the train station making transportation easier. I'm certainly open to other options and welcome the advice.

So that's a great deal. $240ish tax included for a two bedroom two bath suite with a king, two queens and a queen sofa for 8 adults. Did you ask the hotel if the room is located away from the train tracks? Does the hotel charge for the shuttle from the airport? The web site makes no mention of a free airport shuttle.

Train time from Newark Penn Station is scheduled at 21 minutes plus time to get to the station and buy tickets. You should be aware that PATH time to 33rd St is scheduled at about 35 minutes on weekdays and about 45 minutes on weekends because the uptown train goes via Hoboken. PATH time to World Trade Center is 20 minutes. Add on some time to get to the station and buy tickets.

Please note that most of the NYC subway lines have stops in lower Manhattan near the World Trade Center. Depending on where you're going in midtown (particularly the east side), it can be faster to go downtown and switch to the subway than it is to go to 33rd St and switch to the subway.

One last suggestion - pull up the hotel area on Google Earth to see what it actually looks like. And one last request - please post a review on this form when you get back. The Element intrigues me, particularly since it can accommodate a large group for a reasonable price. Last Sep I needed accommodations for a family group of 5 including an infant and two adult children of different sexes. We ended up in the Courtyard in Jersey City in a two queen and Queen sofabed room for a similar amount of money and I was thrilled.

I very seldom chime in on this thread, but there is something I should correct here. The area where the ships dock is named Cape Liberty, Bayonne. It is NOT called Port Liberty. I have seen it called that here and on some other threads. Port Liberte is a condo complex on the Jersey City waterfront. If you use a GPS and especially if you say Port Liberty, it could send you there by mistake. It is only a couple of miles away, but you don't want to get lost in that area not knowing the roads.

Thanks Joe! I think that's a very important detail. We get lots of reports of GPS being confused in the Bayonne area and we certainly don't want folks sent to Jersey City instead!

So that's a great deal. $240ish tax included for a two bedroom two bath suite with a king, two queens and a queen sofa for 8 adults. Did you ask the hotel if the room is located away from the train tracks? Does the hotel charge for the shuttle from the airport? The web site makes no mention of a free airport shuttle.

Train time from Newark Penn Station is scheduled at 21 minutes plus time to get to the station and buy tickets. You should be aware that PATH time to 33rd St is scheduled at about 35 minutes on weekdays and about 45 minutes on weekends because the uptown train goes via Hoboken. PATH time to World Trade Center is 20 minutes. Add on some time to get to the station and buy tickets.

Please note that most of the NYC subway lines have stops in lower Manhattan near the World Trade Center. Depending on where you're going in midtown (particularly the east side), it can be faster to go downtown and switch to the subway than it is to go to 33rd St and switch to the subway.

One last suggestion - pull up the hotel area on Google Earth to see what it actually looks like. And one last request - please post a review on this form when you get back. The Element intrigues me, particularly since it can accommodate a large group for a reasonable price. Last Sep I needed accommodations for a family group of 5 including an infant and two adult children of different sexes. We ended up in the Courtyard in Jersey City in a two queen and Queen sofabed room for a similar amount of money and I was thrilled.

Thanks Carol I appreciate your help. I'll post a review when we return though hopefully someone will stay there before Oct and give some feedback.

Christine

I will be cruising out of Cape Liberty on March 13. I will be driving from Long Island and wondered how far the parking facilities are from the terminal. Can I walk with my luggage? I am cruising alone, so I can't drop of someone with the luggage. Any and all help would be appreciated!

I checked the Ramada web site and that looks like the room price without any extras other than the free shuttle between the airport and the hotel. I don't believe you were told the correct information.

Are you coming from Colorado? Do you really need the parking? Are you sightseeing in NYC?

The Trinity package includes 21 days parking AND Cruiseport transportation for up to 4 people for $197 tax included for your date. This is a great value when you break it apart - figure you are paying 15.5% tax, so the base rate of this package is $170! Country inns charges $70 round trip for port transportation for two. If you scrounge around you can find airport parking for $8-10/day, so another $56-70 value. So that leaves $30-44 for the cost of the room.

When this package first became available, I contacted Trinity to ask them about it. They are very nice people BTW. It's a small Christan based company who always wish you to "Have a blessed day". They told me that the Cruiseport transportation is available only for bookings through Trinity - it is NOT run by the hotel and is not available through the hotel.

Did you call the Ramada directly on a NJ number or did you call an 800 number? Personally I would want to be talking to someone in the hotel in Newark who actually knows what's going on.

Of course you were right :o. I called them today, only airport shuttle. I have emailed Trinity just to see if there is a different package without parking. But if not, it still looks like a good deal.

Thanks again!

Deb

Hi Ken! We really missed you on the Q. Say hi to Deb.

Carol,

Don't know why my answer didn't post yesterday but.....

Anyway, I don't know if M&M told you of our truncated EX cruise in Sept that facilitated the cancellation of the Quantum cruise, we'll catch you up when we see you. The next cruise on the books for us on Liberty in September to New England and Canada. Hopefully we can be with some of our friends then. If not, I guess we'll be making more friends.

Thanks so much for your concern, We did miss the group both on Explorer and Quantum.

But, the Hapton Inn websites says they have a free shuttle to the ferry. Would that have not been more convenient and less time?

BEWARE, Hampton Inn Staten Island now longer has a shuttle to the Port unless you book the Park and Cruise rate. We saw the shuttle and booked this hotel for a Trans-Atlantic many months ago. We did not do the more expensive park and cruise rate because we are not parking or returning to Cape Liberty. We were very disappointed to find that they would not take us to the port. They do have airport and ferry transfers on a space available basis. The share a shuttle with Hilton Garden Inn so book transfers early.