Tahitian Princess 1/26/07

laurieb

It's 116 days to go and Princess hasn't opened the excursions yet for booking so I decided to give them a call to see when they will be available. The nice lady told me that it would probably be closer to 90 days before the cruise. I will keep checking and will post once they are available. If someone else catches it before me, please post.

Dot73,

So how are you doing on booking reservations? I am still trying to decide on some. I got back first confirmation today with Marc in Huahine for the 28th. It took about a week for him to email me back. He says he takes 10-20 a day.

Tell me more about Frank in Raiatea. What is that excursion? My notes are so confusing I wish I was more organized.I can't find anything I wrote about his excursion. Have you booked any through Princess yet? All this planning is half the fun.

We just got back from Pittsburgh. My husband had a conference there and I went along for the ride. What a beautiful city! His room had no internet service so I had a week of withdraw from trip planning.

Dave and Diane, 5 days precruise, you will be so relaxed. Would love if you would share with us the best things to do in Moorea that you experienced precruise.

Cindy

Hi Cindy - I am surprised you were able to book with Marc. When I tried to book last month, he told me he wouldn't be accepting reservations until December. I have sent him another reservation request today. That is one excursion I do not want to miss. I have booked Frank in Raiatea. His all-day excursion includes a visit to a vanilla farm, a pearl farm, and a motu picnic with a drift snorkel. From reading the boards, it sounded like a good excursion. As for TP excursions, I have booked the Aqua Safari in BB on Feb. 3 at 10:45 a.m. On Moorea, I booked the Dr. Poole dolphin watch. I would like to learn more about the local dolphins and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I love being on the ocean on a small boat, even if we don't see any dolphins. In Rarotonga, I booked the Muri Lagoon Cruise. There is only a 50% chance that we will be able to tender there, so I thought I'd stick to a TP excursion. Rarotonga is supposed to be the cheapest place for souvenirs, so hopefully we will be able to tender there. I hate shopping while on holidays, so I would like to just buy a few things for the family, in one shot. The whole day that we spend in Papeete (Jan. 27), I am thinking of booking a 4x4 adventure with Patrick. From my research, Papeete isn't very interesting, but Tahiti has some beautiful scenery and great waterfalls to see and swim in. I would love to do a helicopter sightseeing excursion. It is available in Tahiti, but very expensive (close to $200 pp for 20 minutes and you need 4 people). I would love to see the water from up high. Wow, there is just so much to do and see. I am glad I am taking a btb cruise. What are you ideas?

dot73,

Thanks for information for Frank in Raiatea.I got a prompt response from Claude in Nuku Hiva for the 20th. I hope to get a confirmation today. He said he had several interested people but no confirmations yet.In Bora Bora we are also looking at the helmet dive excursion. We hope we make it to Rarotonga too! If we do we plan on snorkling on our own there. It looks like the bus is an easy way to get around.

Has anyone else found any excursions not to be missed?

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...

I walked out the front door this morning only to see frost on my car windows. AAARGH! I was pretty miserable scraping it and then I realized that today was the 26th and I had only three more months to go before my dream cruise began. I have begun some heavy-duty money saving. Starbucks only on Fridays, the rest of the week office coffee. Only one lunch out during the week. I also have to get serious about losing 10 pounds so that I can enjoy the food and still be able to fit into my clothes. I have now confirmed my booking with Marc on Huahine for his all-day picnic. I contacted a guy named Damien in Bora Bora, who got rave reviews on these boards, and am waiting to hear from him. His website, http://www.boraboraphotolagon.com, is in French only but the pictures say it all. He apparently is a great photographer and you can buy a disk from him containing pictures of your excursion. Because I travel solo, I never have pictures of myself, just scenery, so that it might be a good idea. Is there anyone who would like to do a helicopter excursion with me in Papeete or Bora Bora? We need at least four people to book an excursion. It's expensive, but can you imagine what those beautiful motus must look like from above?

dot73,

I know what you are feeling with the snow. I was greeted on my first day of work after 5 weeks off with that white stuff. I am looking forward to the tropics of Tahiti. I need to get back to jym next week too. It goes on so easy and comes off soooooo slow.I emailed Damien on the 21st and have yet to hear back from him. It looks like a wonderful way to spend the day. Let me know what you find out.

Where is everyone else? I am getting so excited I can hardly stand it. My husband is even showing interest.

Cindy

Cindy, I have booked Damien on Feb. 2 in BB at 1:30 p.m. for a 4-hour excursion. If you, or others, would like a copy of his e-mail describing the excursion, e-mail me at dorothyja@rogers.com and I will forward it to you. What I like about this tour is that it takes a maximum of 8 people. If there were enough people interested, perhaps we could get him to also do a sunset cruise. On the second day in BB, I have booked the Aqua Safari at 10:45. I am hoping to find on the dock a land tour of BB in the afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Three of us on the Tahitian Princess Cruise have rented a boat on Bora Bora to take us on a private 4 hr. snorkel excursion. We have room for one more if anyone is interested.The four of us will be splitting the cost of around $350 U.S. dollars. The tour is on Sat., Feb.3 at 9:00 AM. We can pay in U.S. or French Pacific currency. No deposit required.

The website is www.moanatours.com

In a private 4 hours tour you 'll be able to do around 4 diferent snorkelings (including mantas), circle the island, visit a motu or what ever you want. You know, as it's a private tour, you'll just have to tell your guide what you whant to do or see; and he will do is best to do it.

Cindy:

My wife and I are have booked this cruise and are really looking forward to it. While we're experienced cruisers, this will be the first time to Tahiti and on the Tahitian Princess.

Any suggestions on do's and don't or excursions? We've booked trips on each island through Princess (since we heard that these close out very quickly), but we're also open to private tours.

We're now living in California --- but it's still a long way to go! Where are you guys from?

Les

Hi Les, welcome aboard. I'm from Mississauga, Ontario, which is a city adjacent to Toronto, where I work. I am travelling solo on a btb cruise and counting down the days. I have booked a combination of Princess and independent excursions. In Huahine, I am doing Marc's Motu picnic which is very highly rated on these boards; on Raiatea I am doing Frank's all-day excursion; on Bora Bora with Damien of Photolagoon on day one and a custom snorkeling excursion with Moana Tours. With Princess, I am doing the Muri Lagoon Cruise in Rarotonga and Dr. Poole's Dolphin excursion in Moorea. Because I travel solo, I am usually leery of booking independent excursions as I have had bad experiences in the Caribbean. However, the ones I booked in Tahiti come highly recommended and are reliable according to these boards. I like excursions that spend a lot of time on or in the water. If you have specific questions about excursions, go to the Ports of Call section and ask. It's an excellent place to learn about excursions.

:cool:

Hello to everyone that is going! I don't get a chance to frequent the boards much anymore with working full time.

My husband Greg and I are going on the 1/26/07 Tahitian Princess cruise with you all! We are celebrating my ( 50th) Birthday...YIKES

It was his gift to me.

I have been on many cruises, Greg only about 5 now as we just got married, ( second time for us) 3 years ago. Guess what... on a cruise!

Greg and I would love to hear from any of you:) . What plans people are making, etc. Would love to join the fun.

I'm home recouping from lower back surg. right now, so I have a bit more time to chat!

Hope to meet many of you soon!

Lesbugman,

This is our first time in Tahiti too so we are novices. All the information I have gotten is from spending many hours here and on port of call.We are from Indiana and work in South Bend.

We are doing a BTB

Reservation for 20th Claude for 7 hr tour of Nuku Hiva

Raitea 24th Drift snorkel with Princess

Bora Bora Aqua Safari with Princess am and Intruduction to scuba pm Princess

Huhane 28th tour with Marc

Raitea feb 1st tour with Bruno

Feb 2nd Damien tour (Dot 73 helped me book)

We still have things to plan but what we have so far.

Kruisinqueen, I will be celebrating my 50th on the 20th so I will let you know how bad it hurts. My present from my husband too, we must have some great guys! Hope your recovery is going ok. A good chance to spend time on line. Just don't spend too much time at computer and remember to get up and move around.

Welcome Lesbugman and Kruisinqueen,

Cindy

I am also celebrating my 50th birthday in 2007, in June. I am treating myself to an early birthday present by doing a btb cruise that I have dreamed about for years. I think I will just pick one day on the cruise and pretend it's my birthday and have some cake and champagne. I have no worries about turning 50 at all. As the old saying goes "every birthday above ground is a great birthday". :D

Cindy,

My BD is the 27th, so you'll only be ahead 7 days. ;) I am so looking forward to going. I am also looking forward to meeting many of you.

Since you live in cold weather, and so do we, it will be a double treat to spend our birthday parties at sea where it is warm!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

See you all very soon. Still recouping...but getting better everyday, and fiestier!:eek:

It sounds like there is a few of us celebrating our 50th birthdays in 2007. I think we should have a special party to celebrate this special milestone. Being from the snowy Great White North, I can't think of a better way to celebrate than in Tahiti in February!:D Make sure you take good care of that back so you can enjoy all the activities. I am sure the warm salty water will be a perfect cure for whatever ails the body.

You can add me to the 50 list as well on 3-21-07, but I don't think my husband thought about the trip as a birthday present, we just wanted to go. So far we have resevered scuba diving for the 3 of us and horseback riding for my daughter. We are not all that great at setting up in advance, we just like to get there and see what is available. We are not from the cold areas like the rest of you but it is cold enough here in california and I will enjoy the warmth. Only 2 months to go.This is our first Princess cruise how does it compare to RRC and celebrety? This will only be our 4th cruise. Last year we did a week scuba diving in Honduras instead of a cruise. I am looking forward to the great food again and the entertainment.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you, we will have to get together one evening for a 50th birthday celebration. I am excited to see 50 that is the earliest you can draw retirement from the state retirement system, if only it paid enough to support my vacation requirements.

More later

Mary

Hello fellow cruisers. I haven't checked in recently. Sounds like several are celebrating their 50th birthday with this cruise. My hubby and I are a few years past that celebration, but are celebrating our 35th anniversary with this cruise. It is actually on Dec. 18th, but that is a such a busy time that we're waiting until January when we do BTB cruising. Can't wait, especially since it is sleeting outside and I can hear it clicking on the windows. YUCK!

We have done nothing on shore excursions. Any really good ideas? We did this same route with Princess in 2003. Then we did a combination of Princess excursions--of which there weren't a lot offered since it was only the 3rd Princess cruise there--and going off on our own. It is such a beautiful place to be that we're really not too worried about excursions!

Hi, Dot!

Thanks for your response. Looks like a few of our feelow passengers are nearing 50 -- Harriet and I passed that a few years ago, so we would be happy to let you know the secrets of not letting it effect you.

We look forward to meeting you,

Les

Hi, Cindy. Looks like you're well-planned!

We decided to pre-book the tours through Princess, so I hope that we won't be disappointed.

Once of the nice things that Celebrity has is a party for their Cruise Critic passengers. I haven't seen anything like that on Princess, so we may have to plan somethoing ourselves.

See you "soon".

Les

Les, believe me, I have no fear of turning 50. In fact, I am really excited that I will be around (knock on wood) to celebrate it. I told my family that I will be very disappointed if they don't make a big deal about it. I was diagnosed with cancer in my 40th year, and every year since has been a true blessing and I really look forward to celebrating birthdays. My all-time favourite slogan is "Every birthday above ground is a great birthday". I cannot wait until this trip. It sounds like we will have a great group. I think just about everybody will be celebrating something special in 2007.:D

Archived